Proposal: Selling High on Ennis

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
To get back to what the OP was about:

What do people think another GM will give up for Ennis right now and is that enough to move him?

My assertion is that Ennis' value to the Sabres exceeds what another GM would offer up in a trade.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
I'm with stokes on this one. That's a full calendar year of good 2nd line production on a team that scores An average 1.9 GPG. He's locked up, still young, producing, no trade limitations,etc.. It's not far fetched to say he could be seen as a very attractive pice to some teams looking to add scoring.

He's also on a very good deal (cap hit 4.25?) when you consider role, point totals, the excellent observation made by B Griffin about his likely high QOC, etc.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I find it odd how you guys choose when you want to include our low possession and scoring into your assessment, because I've seen you both do it for other players before, but for some reason it doesn't apply here?

Nobody is saying he's a superstar to build around, but he is a solid first line player with upside, and for some reason he gets massively underrated by many around here.

When has a GM ever paid a mint for the leading scorer on a bad puck possession team?

My opinion is that despite Ennis going well, his trade value hasn't risen to the level that the Sabres should "sell high" and that he is a guy that the Sabres should keep around.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm with stokes on this one. That's a full calendar year of good 2nd line production on a team that scores An average 1.9 GPG. He's locked up, still young, producing, no trade limitations,etc.. It's not far fetched to say he could be seen as a very attractive pice to some teams looking to add scoring.

Florida is a team that is on the edge of the playoffs and could use some pop in their lineup.

What do you think they could offer to Buffalo that would make Murray move Ennis?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The way Ennis is playing now, he's a nice 2nd line winger on a deep team. Look at other teams 2nd line and see what legit contenders could use him. What's a solid proposal from that mindset?

He's playing well. He's not playing 1st line winger on a solid team good. Assuming the Sabres win the cup while he's on the team, he won't be the top line winger. And that's not a slam on him, it's just the way it is.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
While a nice player, I'd move Ennis in a heartbeat for a grittier upgrade on the wing. I can't even fathom any GM out there constructing a team deeming Ennis as a must have, he may be in the nice to have category but is definitely a complimentary player.

I'm not really sure what this means.

1) Are you saying you want a bigger tougher winger like a Des or Foligno type?
2) Or are you saying you want a skill guy that plays with an edge?
3) Or a guy with the size and toughness of Des/Foligno but the skill of Ennis?

I'm asking because saying you want a grittier winger for Ennis is a pretty vague request. The most likely trade with Ennis as a centerpiece that would upgrade the grit level of our wingers is the type that would land a lesser skilled bigger player (A Des/Foligno type). I wouldn't want to make a trade like that since it sets the skill level of the team back and adds the type of player we really don't need.

As for trade #3, every team in the league would love to have a gritty winger with size who possesses Ennis offensive skills. So there is no chance Ennis is going to land you that player. Those types are rarely available via trade and if they are its because they are enigmatic and frustrating pains in the ass like Chris Stewart.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Ennis has been incredible over the past dozen games or so. However, he's shown an ability to dominate in short increments before, and then disappear. The question is, if we sold now, would it put us in a better position long-term? (Through assets acquired and the short-term effect on the team).

I have zero interest in moving him.

Ennis has been pretty reliably a 20g 45-50pt player so far in his career. He's done that in various roles in the top 9 (wing/center). Some roles fit him (top 6 winger) others did not like center and especially #1 center.

He's also one of only two of the young players thats had some playoff success individually (Myers being the other). He was tied for the points lead in our 09-10 series with Boston. He had 4pts in 6gms and wasn't even a rookie yet with only a 10gm late season call up under his belt before that series. The following year, as a rookie in the 10-11 playoffs, he was 4th in points (2nd among forwards) with 4pts in 7gms. He really came on late in that series.

Two things Ennis has never been able to benefit from during his time here. One is playing on a line with a center like Girgs. A strong defensive/possession center who can greatly reduce Ennis' defensive liabilities while at the same time being able to play to Ennis' strengths offensively. The result is the offense dynamo we see right now. The other thing he's never been able to benefit from is playing on a strong possession team with strong possession centers. The type of team that will greatly reduce the impact of his liabilities as a player while at the same time accentuating the strengths of his game. Going forword he will very much be on a team like that.

Now I'm not saying Ennis is going to be a point per game player going forward like he has been with Girgs. What I am saying is this. If he can pretty reliably put up 20g 45+pts playing on terrible possession teams and playing in roles he's not suited for. Imagine what he can do in an environment where his strengths offensively are accentuated, where his defensive issues are all but negated and he is playing a role best suited to him (top 6 winger). All on a cap hit of 4.6mil thats perfect for what he already is and could be a steal for what he could become.

Thats not a player I'm trading away.

ZeroPT*

Florida is a team that is on the edge of the playoffs and could use some pop in their lineup.

What do you think they could offer to Buffalo that would make Murray move Ennis?

If they feel comfortable with Bjugstad as a #1 and want to add a scoring threat I'd go for Barkov.

ZeroPT*

I don't want to imagine what we'd have to add to Ennis to get Barkov, though I'd do it.

Oh I know. Just the Florida example is weird. I'd want Barkov or Bjugstad but they're likely untouchable. I don't even want to think about Ekblad. Huberdeau is meh.

But for example if Edmonton get desperate and are offering us Hall/RNH for Ennis+++ I'd listen.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I'm not really sure what this means.

1) Are you saying you want a bigger tougher winger like a Des or Foligno type?
2) Or are you saying you want a skill guy that plays with an edge?
3) Or a guy with the size and toughness of Des/Foligno but the skill of Ennis?

I'm asking because saying you want a grittier winger for Ennis is a pretty vague request. The most likely trade with Ennis as a centerpiece that would upgrade the grit level of our wingers is the type that would land a lesser skilled bigger player (A Des/Foligno type). I wouldn't want to make a trade like that since it sets the skill level of the team back and adds the type of player we really don't need.

As for trade #3, every team in the league would love to have a gritty winger with size who possesses Ennis offensive skills. So there is no chance Ennis is going to land you that player. Those types are rarely available via trade and if they are its because they are enigmatic and frustrating pains in the ass like Chris Stewart.

I'm saying I would gladly move Ennis for a prospect in the Simmonds / Voracek mode. A bigger, stronger player that can also drive possession vice a waterbug is my preference. I don't want a 3rd/4th liner with potential to play the 2nd, but legit potential to be a 1st/2nd liner that plays a heavier game.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy some moments and scream at my computer other times watching his antics; albeit since moving to wing there's been less screaming.

ZeroPT*

I can't see Florida even considering moving either of those pieces for Ennis, let alone both.

So, how much more are you going to add to Ennis to get Barkov?

Probably Zadorov. And another piece. Which I would do.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Probably Zadorov. And another piece. Which I would do.

That's absurd. Zadorov is the same age and is a better player. Barkov might be on a long curve (why though? He was already playing against men. Strength was not an issue), but that's a pretty ridiculous risk to take.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm saying I would gladly move Ennis for a prospect in the Simmonds / Voracek mode. A bigger, stronger player that can also drive possession vice a waterbug is my preference. I don't want a 3rd/4th liner with potential to play the 2nd, but legit potential to be a 1st/2nd liner that plays a heavier game.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy some moments and scream at my computer other times watching his antics; albeit since moving to wing there's been less screaming.

If they could pull off something along those lines, I would be all for it.

Another scenario that would be really interesting would be talking to a team like Colorado and see if they are looking to make a move to shake their team out of their funk.

Are Winnipeg, Nashville, or Boston looking to make a move? And if so, is Ennis the kind of player that they would like?

ZeroPT*

I like Barkov and all but Ennis, Zadorov + would be an overpay IMO
It's what it would take

That's absurd. Zadorov is the same age and is a better player. Barkov might be on a long curve (why though? He was already playing against men. Strength was not an issue), but that's a pretty ridiculous risk to take.
Absurd is what it's going to take. I don't want to make the move but I'd do it because I think Barkov will be a top 5 center in this league.
Watch an Oilers game. The kid can't stay on his feet. It's hard to imagine he's going to be an impact player.
His play off the puck is great and he has a natural instinct of goal scoring. Eakins held him back, he has all the talent.

You lost me at Zadorov.
Cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad