Proposal: Selling High on Ennis

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Given Ennis' contract, age and what he brings to the ice, I don't see what we would trade him for. What would other teams bring to the table? Either they're looking to sell an older player who may have better production than Ennis because they want to add youth. But that kind of upgrade does nothing for us right now. Or they would want to add Ennis for a push and sell us prospects and/or picks, and we're stacked in that department. We have no need to add to any position right now. If anything, it's the wing that is our weakness going forward so I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where trading Ennis is a good idea. Sure, I'd listen, but anything but an overpayment seems like a bad move.

I think with Ennis' talent and contract, and the chemistry his got with Girgensons and Moulson... These guys are all gonna be here going forward. I think we're starting to see a core building here, and Ennis is a part of that.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Really should have made this a poll rather than a proposal.

Intrigued to feel the current landscape on him. People are in his corner now when he's producing.

Still unsure of whether or not he's a core piece. I love his style, so maybe if there continue's to be depth put around him, he'll continue to flourish with a responsible center.

I think that on a good team, having a guy like Ennis is a gem. Because of his style, his skating and irrational moves. He may not be "elite", but once we've assembled the pieces to be a good team, Ennis wouldn't have to go up against opponents best lines every night. Seeing what he does now when he's on basically the only line that opponents have to watch out for, imagine what he could do to a their secondary defense. I think Ennis is our Tarasenko. He doesn't have to be big and strong and do all those things (and I honestly think that right now he does a lot of good things outside pure offense) if he's on a secondary scoring line.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
if I could get Hall, with Ennis and picks as the biggest pieces of the deal, I'd do it

I'm not getting Hall with the biggest pieces being Ennis and picks

I'd never be opposed to trading Ennis, especially if there's a GM looking at his last month and being willing to pay for that player

These guys are all gonna be here going forward. I think we're starting to see a core building here, and Ennis is a part of that.

Ennis is playing the best hockey of his career, and he still isn't part of an untouchable core discussion

he is who he is and I still expect him to finish around the 45 point range, he is a much more rounded player right now then he was in previous years (some credit to coaching)

Last edited:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Really should have made this a poll rather than a proposal.

Intrigued to feel the current landscape on him. People are in his corner now when he's producing.

Still unsure of whether or not he's a core piece. I love his style, so maybe if there continue's to be depth put around him, he'll continue to flourish with a responsible center.

He's been producing for a while now though. If you go back the last 82 games, he's put up 56 points. So far this season, he's 13th among RWs in points. On this team, with the lack of puck possession and offensive talent we have, that is pretty remarkable. Now that he is on the wing doesn't have to focus as much on defensive responsibilities, I'd expect him to continue to thrive.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
No interest in trading Ennis. He is by far the most dynamic offensive player on the team. He is one of the most creative and shiftiest players in the league. Surrounded by the right players, his offensive numbers should go up.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
Makes no sense to trade Ennis considering any draft picks you get for him you're really just hoping they turn into an Ennis at the NHL level.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
He's been producing for a while now though. If you go back the last 82 games, he's put up 56 points. So far this season, he's 13th among RWs in points. On this team, with the lack of puck possession and offensive talent we have, that is pretty remarkable. Now that he is on the wing doesn't have to focus as much on defensive responsibilities, I'd expect him to continue to thrive.

Damn Stokes, good post

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Ennis at center was a driver of the tank
Ennis at wing, with a complete center to support his game, is a tank buster

I have nothing much to add but Yup.

He is a perfect 2nd line winger and there is nothing wrong with that.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
The only way I move Ennis is in a package for a better winger that's just as young or younger, like a Taylor Hall. He's the only legit young winger we can really count on for the foreseeable future, as Armia, Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, Carrier, Lemieux, etc. are all unknown quantities at this point.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't think we could get as good of a package for Ennis as we got for Pominville, and I wouldn't trade Ennis for what Pominville brought...so, no.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
While a nice player, I'd move Ennis in a heartbeat for a grittier upgrade on the wing. I can't even fathom any GM out there constructing a team deeming Ennis as a must have, he may be in the nice to have category but is definitely a complimentary player.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
While a nice player, I'd move Ennis in a heartbeat for a grittier upgrade on the wing. I can't even fathom any GM out there constructing a team deeming Ennis as a must have, he may be in the nice to have category but is definitely a complimentary player.

Agree

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I wouldn't trade Ennis yet, he helps diversify the forward groups. Half the group are gritty, a few guys that smash, a couple who drive the net or stand in the paint and one waterbug. All the wearing down the group does becomes apparent when Ennis can zoom around and take advantage. Doesn't hurt that he can handle the beatings he gets along the boards despite his size.

I have no issue with trading Ennis as long as the change of pace he provides is replaced, just seems strategically valuable.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If and Only if there was a clear upgrade to the production Ennis brings off the wing would i trade him.

So, let's say an elite winger (or center) breaks free this summer and they want Ennis. Fine.

Am I going to move him for a group of prospects/picks? Nope.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
If and Only if there was a clear upgrade to the production Ennis brings off the wing would i trade him.

So, let's say an elite winger (or center) breaks free this summer and they want Ennis. Fine.

Am I going to move him for a group of prospects/picks? Nope.

if I could get Hall, with Ennis and picks as the biggest pieces of the deal, I'd do it

I'm not getting Hall with the biggest pieces being Ennis and picks

I'd never be opposed to trading Ennis, especially if there's a GM looking at his last month and being willing to pay for that player

Ennis is playing the best hockey of his career, and he still isn't part of an untouchable core discussion

he is who he is and I still expect him to finish around the 45 point range, he is a much more rounded player right now then he was in previous years (some credit to coaching)

I was thinking about a trade around Yakupov. Yak has the higher ceiling, but struggles, Ennis plays better, but has probably reached his ceiling. Plus he's from the Edmonton area.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I doubt the offers that Murray would get for Ennis would be worth moving him.

GMs don't get crazy because a player has a hot streak.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I guess a full year of production is still a hot streak in some minds.

56 pts in 82 games warrants a full year of production?

Last year, that would put Ennis on tied for 60th in the scoring race. Meaning, on average, teams would have 2 players with MORE points than Ennis already.

Ennis has surprised me quite a bit with his play so far this season. Before this season, I argued that I felt Hodgson would be a better long term fit as he would fit into a forechecking style on the LW better, but Ennis has just played better and proven he can score other than in transition.

All that being said, he's still a secondary player. On a well built team with decent depth, he's a 2nd line scoring line play making winger.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I guess a full year of production is still a hot streak in some minds.

He is tied for 58th in the league in scoring this year.

No GM is going to pay a mint for a player like that, especially one that has never hit 50 pts in a season in his career.

I'd rather keep Ennis than trade him for a 2nd rounder or a prospect that the Sabres already have 2 or 3 guys in the system that are comparable.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
56 pts in 82 games warrants a full year of production?

Last year, that would put Ennis on tied for 60th in the scoring race. Meaning, on average, teams would have 2 players with MORE points than Ennis already.

Ennis has surprised me quite a bit with his play so far this season. Before this season, I argued that I felt Hodgson would be a better long term fit as he would fit into a forechecking style on the LW better, but Ennis has just played better and proven he can score other than in transition.

All that being said, he's still a secondary player. On a well built team with decent depth, he's a 2nd line scoring line play making winger.

82 games, or going back to last December... Yeah, that's a full year of production.

He is tied for 58th in the league in scoring this year.

No GM is going to pay a mint for a player like that, especially one that has never hit 50 pts in a season in his career.

I'd rather keep Ennis than trade him for a 2nd rounder or a prospect that the Sabres already have 2 or 3 guys in the system that are comparable.

I find it odd how you guys choose when you want to include our low possession and scoring into your assessment, because I've seen you both do it for other players before, but for some reason it doesn't apply here?

Nobody is saying he's a superstar to build around, but he is a solid first line player with upside, and for some reason he gets massively underrated by many around here.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
82 games, or going back to last December... Yeah, that's a full year of production.

I find it odd how you guys choose when you want to include our low possession and scoring into your assessment, because I've seen you both do it for other players before, but for some reason it doesn't apply here?

Nobody is saying he's a superstar to build around, but he is a solid first line player with upside, and for some reason he gets massively underrated by many around here.

I'm just saying 56 pts in 82 games for an offense first winger isn't exactly career building numbers, especially when you consider the amount of quality PP and offensive ice time he gets.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'm with Stokes. On the Sabres, Ennis' points / production are a proportionally larger fraction of the Sabres total offense due to BUF's overall anemic offense / lack of secondary scoring. Sabres top line, on which Ennis routinely played/plays, (regardless of whether as 2013-14 center or 2014-15 wing) likely draws better defensive checkers. Ennis moves to another team with offensive depth, and there will be a greater probability of line mis-matches for Ennis to collect points.

One of you savier advanced stats guys can likely show QoC stats for Ennis compared to other forwards in the 50-60+ point range to see whether my assumption is valid.

edit: Doak's PP time / % PP points argument might dilute that assumption. I need to think...

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Why are PP points considered a negative against the player? All the top scorers in the league collect points on the PP. The best players play on the PP.

Seguin leading the league has 71% of his points at ES. Ennis has 68% of his points at ES. Crosby has 57% of his points at ES...

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Why are PP points considered a negative against the player? All the top scorers in the league collect points on the PP. The best players play on the PP.

Seguin leading the league has 71% of his points at ES. Ennis has 68% of his points at ES. Crosby has 57% of his points at ES...

My perspective is that percentage doesn't matter. When you evaluate production you should evaluate total points then also look at ES points alone. A guy scoring only 55% of his points at even strength is hardly a negative thing if his ES production is near the top of the league -- it just means he scores a hell of a lot on the PP. In other words, the percentage only matters in evaluations if the total points are comparable, otherwise I don't see the value in it.

ZeroPT*

I'm just saying 56 pts in 82 games for an offense first winger isn't exactly career building numbers, especially when you consider the amount of quality PP and offensive ice time he gets.

I'm with stokes on this one. That's a full calendar year of good 2nd line production on a team that scores An average 1.9 GPG. He's locked up, still young, producing, no trade limitations,etc.. It's not far fetched to say he could be seen as a very attractive pice to some teams looking to add scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad