Confirmed with Link: Seider signs (7 x $8.55m)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I hope Seider and Ed can play 45 minutes each with that lineup. That bottom 4 is f***ing putrid. Amongst the worst in the NHL.
I'm not sure how we can slice it any better tbh. The obvious candidate:

Chiarot-Seider
Ed-Petry

Edvinsson has to learn the league next to a former two way D that can't skate or adapt his game. Since we will only have one pairing that we can trust, Seider and Chiarot will get way overworked, like last year, and Mo will essentially spend the year playing the PK at 5on5.

Gus and Maatta could try filling in for Petry and Chiarot, but the results forecast similarly. I do think Gus-Seider has a chance at being a fun pairing, but not really a very good one.

So I think Ed-Seider is probably our best bet. We'll just accept our second pairing getting absolutely annihilated whenever they touch the ice, and treat them like a third pairing. That means a tremendous workload on rookie Simon Edvinsson, but at least he'll be out there with a functional hockey player. Ditto for Seider.

The biggest problem is that if the pairing sucks, it will be impossible for us to just cast all of our defensive problems as being the fault of Walman, Chiarot, Petry, etc. Fortunately, it is all their fault, so Seider-Ed will crush it out there.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I'm not sure how we can slice it any better tbh. The obvious candidate:

Chiarot-Seider
Ed-Petry

Edvinsson has to learn the league next to a former two way D that can't skate or adapt his game. Since we will only have one pairing that we can trust, Seider and Chiarot will get way overworked, like last year, and Mo will essentially spend the year playing the PK at 5on5.

Gus and Maatta could try filling in for Petry and Chiarot, but the results forecast similarly. I do think Gus-Seider has a chance at being a fun pairing, but not really a very good one.

So I think Ed-Seider is probably our best bet. We'll just accept our second pairing getting absolutely annihilated whenever they touch the ice, and treat them like a third pairing. That means a tremendous workload on rookie Simon Edvinsson, but at least he'll be out there with a functional hockey player. Ditto for Seider.

The biggest problem is that if the pairing sucks, it will be impossible for us to just cast all of our defensive problems as being the fault of Walman, Chiarot, Petry, etc. Fortunately, it is all their fault, so Seider-Ed will crush it out there.

I doubt that Lalonde does it, but this is what I'd like to see;

Johansson/Maatta - Seider
Ed - Gustafsson (might be an upgrade on Maatta-Ghost from last year as the pair that takes mismatches and wins)
Chiarot - Petry (as a 3rd pair they're alright but Not anything more than 18-19 minutes a night)

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I doubt that Lalonde does it, but this is what I'd like to see;

Johansson/Maatta - Seider
Ed - Gustafsson (might be an upgrade on Maatta-Ghost from last year as the pair that takes mismatches and wins)
Chiarot - Petry (as a 3rd pair they're alright but Not anything more than 18-19 minutes a night)
I think if Johansson manages to translate his game to the NHL level, he'd be an awesome partner for Seider. So I'd be really happy to try that lineup, but it is anyone's guess how well AlJo actually can do in that role.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
There's no way that Ed is paired with Seider this season unless it's "batten down the hatches" mode in the last 2/3 minutes of a game. The blue line isn't great as it stands, and loading up the top pairing will only make it worse.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
It's still about those years.

I think it went this way:

Both had 8 years on the table, but Yzerman informed that both can't sign for 8 years. Either one has to cut a year.

Then guys did meet at Germany and solved this situation by themselves with agents.

Seider 8-year contracted value would have been ~8.98M (400k more) if I estimate that with just cap growth rate. And Raymond ~500k less.

Seider 8-year, 8.98M
Seider 7-year, 8.55M

Raymond 8-year 8.075M
Raymond 7-year 7.59M

So it was a combo of 7 and 8-year deals, one way or another.

Two 8-year deals, for 8.98M + 8.075M could not fit under the cap.

Seider 8-year, 8.98M
Raymond 7-year 7.59M

Quite sure this was also a possibility, it would have been 30k under the cap.

Finally, they did went with these:

Seider 7-year, 8.55M
Raymond 8-year 8.075M

Team got a little bit more cap room, which still can be factor at the trade deadline, when the space will start growing.

And as another factor, also those numbers did fit better on the team hierarchy.

This just went really nice way. Larkin is the top caphit etc.

Someone could have been released or Husso or Holl bought out if need be. Or a ahl vet released.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I think if Johansson manages to translate his game to the NHL level, he'd be an awesome partner for Seider. So I'd be really happy to try that lineup, but it is anyone's guess how well AlJo actually can do in that role.

I think it's just a matter of getting the coaching staff's trust for Johansson's game to translate. He's an upper tier skater at the NHL level and would easily be the best skating defenseman on the team the second he suits up. He's also got a high panic threshold (at least in the SHL and AHL levels) and has backed off trying to be the offensive generator he was in the SHL. AlJo's AHL game was predicated on safe puck movement and using his speed to win puck retrievals and get things moving up ice quickly.

If I could compare it to anyone in the NHL it would be Sam Girard with the outside chance of becoming a Marc-Eduard Vlasic style of defender whose game is predicated on speed to box out the opposition.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think it's just a matter of getting the coaching staff's trust for Johansson's game to translate. He's an upper tier skater at the NHL level and would easily be the best skating defenseman on the team the second he suits up. He's also got a high panic threshold (at least in the SHL and AHL levels) and has backed off trying to be the offensive generator he was in the SHL. AlJo's AHL game was predicated on safe puck movement and using his speed to win puck retrievals and get things moving up ice quickly.

If I could compare it to anyone in the NHL it would be Sam Girard with the outside chance of becoming a Marc-Eduard Vlasic style of defender whose game is predicated on speed to box out the opposition.
They're definitely not a one to one comparison, but I really think that AlJo-Seider could work similarly to that Hedman-Stralman pairing that worked so well in Tampa. Seider could skate the puck, pinch up, and roam for big hits. AlJo would use his speed and smarts to collect dumps and turn them the other way, and delay anything that manages to develop behind Seider as he comes rushing back. Hedman- hasn't looked as good since Stralman left, even with a better partner in Sergachev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad