Confirmed with Link: Seider signs (7 x $8.55m)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Statistically they were dogshit together.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I circle back to this team needing to use those free agency bucks on a 2RD upgrade instead of on Tank and Kane. I get that Yzerman didn't want to commit long term money and spent on the short term for those guys, we have a gaping hole on right defense after Mo. I think it'll only be more evident this season.
Well we do know that he tried to get Trouba with salary retained from New York. I get that he needed a backup plan, but I do think when we talk about this that plays into the picture. I don't think Yzerman wanted to go term lengths on some of the guys like Roy wanted, he wanted to get a guy with less years in to fill that role in my opinion.

Mo is going to shoulder a ridiculous load until Edvinsson can help take some of it off of him. I hope for the teams sake that comes quickly.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Well we do know that he tried to get Trouba with salary retained from New York. I get that he needed a backup plan, but I do think when we talk about this that plays into the picture. I don't think Yzerman wanted to go term lengths on some of the guys like Roy wanted, he wanted to get a guy with less years in to fill that role in my opinion.

Mo is going to shoulder a ridiculous load until Edvinsson can help take some of it off of him. I hope for the teams sake that comes quickly.
I understand all that. But I don't understand why it isn't a good idea on TOP of all that.

Let's say that I snap my fingers and tomorrow both Seider and Edvinsson are top pairing caliber defensemen. This roster still needs another top 4 defensemen - both due to a lack of talent from the rest of the defense, and from a standpoint of team building. (If the lottery screwed you out of any chance at a Bedard/Hughes type forward, then lean further into building an amazing defense.)

I mean, who doesn't like a defense with Seider, Edvinsson, and Roy taking the heavy lifting, somebody like Chiarot serving as a bridge with lesser minutes as the kids learn, and all of Johansson, ASP, Wallinder, and Buium on their way to one degree or another?

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Statistically they were dogshit together.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I circle back to this team needing to use those free agency bucks on a 2RD upgrade instead of on Tank and Kane. I get that Yzerman didn't want to commit long term money and spent on the short term for those guys, we have a gaping hole on right defense after Mo. I think it'll only be more evident this season.

Mediocre teams with both a short-term goal of making playoffs and committed to a long-term rebuild are not going to solve all their problems in one or two off-seasons. Wings only last year went from a bad team to a mediocre team. They aren't going to take the next step to being a good team in one off-season. They're still not at the top of the list of FA desirable destinations nor only a couple players short of being a contender. It's going to be a revolving door of at-best adequate short-term solutions while prospects develop.

We don't know that Roy for example ever wanted to come to Detroit or if there were discussions with other FAs. We don't know how close SY was to getting Trouba or if Detroit ever talked to Seattle about acquiring Larsson before he re-signed there. There was a lot of Cap uncertainty because of Raymond/Seider, Veleno going to arbitration. What seemed important to SY was keeping Kane, replacing Perron and Ghost with no drop-off, improving in goal. A 2RD was also always on that to-do list and it's the one thing that didn't get addressed, at least so far. There are trade avenues available even now with moveable salaries like Maatta and Veleno, potentially more Cap space if/when Husso goes on LTIR, a deep prospect pool. Maybe someone like Gudas or Fabbro can be acquired.

I think it all comes down to how important it is to SY to make the playoffs this season. They should be close just with the roster they have now. They can score and goaltending should be better. Edvinsson having a great season would go a long way to improving the D, better D-zone play by everyone should be an emphasis from Day 1. If 2RD is a continuing problem, maybe something can be done mid-season or at the TDL. It's very easy to second-guess things when so much had to be done and still does.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
There was a lot of Cap uncertainty because of Raymond/Seider, Veleno going to arbitration.
One small point of contention here. I had thought it was pretty much a given that Raymond and Seider would each sign a long term deal with the two taking up a combined $16-17M AAV, which is exactly what ended up happening. So I don't see how that aspect was either a big mystery or should have significantly impacted his plan / options.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
One small point of contention here. I had thought it was pretty much a given that Raymond and Seider would each sign a long term deal with the two taking up a combined $16-17M AAV, which is exactly what ended up happening. So I don't see how that aspect was either a big mystery or should have significantly impacted his plan / options.

That's a reasonable quibble and it worked out close to what I thought it would too. But until it gets done, you can't be sure. Plenty of examples of good young players not being locked up long-term, Hedman and Stamkos were signed to five-year deals after their ELCs, Kucherov, Pettersson and McAvoy to three-year deals.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Now that all the new ink is drying, doesn't the One Ring to Rule Them All become this (from puckpedia)?

puckcap.JPG

Reactions: raymond23

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Now that all the new ink is drying, doesn't the One Ring to Rule Them All become this (from puckpedia)?

View attachment 908415
Two things:

1) If I'm Simon Edvinsson, I'm smiling ear to ear to see that amount of cap space as my ELC expires.
2) We need to start planning an extensive HFB celebration for July 1, 2026. The day that Justin Abdelkader completely comes off the books.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Two things:

1) If I'm Simon Edvinsson, I'm smiling ear to ear to see that amount of cap space as my ELC expires.
2) We need to start planning an extensive HFB celebration for July 1, 2026. The day that Justin Abdelkader completely comes off the books.
Still really bothers me that they didn't LTIR him to start the season and option him down. If you keep Abby for one more year in the organization when we weren't competitive or against the cap his money would already be off the books.

Overall, I like that you can follow a lot of Yzerman's logic. There are always going to be a few issues with a certain player or the progress desired at different paces. The one thing we can all say is they have continued to make forward progress. I hope as the youth graduates from the system you do see the level of play come up.

Reactions: jkutswings

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Absolutely the best take, with the worst commentary voice you will ever hear. HAHAHA.
This deal was a STEAL for the Wings! So was the Raymond contract. If Yzerman can hit on a #1 center, and get a goalie, Lord Stanley comes into focus. < They likely need one other forward who can find the net but, in the short term they have Kane and Tarasenko.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Love the terms for both Raymond and Seider. Perfect!! Knew Stevie would get it done. Cap hits are keeping us under the cap as well. No screwing around with the team before the season starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad