GDT: Season Opener | Leafs vs Habs 7pm EST | Winning For Rodion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
The hot takes after the first game are always something else, win or lose.

I can see them being extra spicy if they blow it in the last minute or cough up a big lead. As usual, it’s not the fact they lose that pisses people off, it’s the way they lose some of these higher profile games.

Anyway, we will win so it’s all moot.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
As long as the Leafs don't go up 3-1 we should be fine.

Seriously, win or lose, I only ask that the Leafs play with some heart tonight for Rodion.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I guess Nylander will be stuck with slow-ass JT in his contract year. Smart

That being said, I want to change my prediction, I think we'll smoke them 7-1 or something!

Slow ass JT had 36 goals last year and 80 points

Anders Lee scored 40 goals playing on JT's wing. He hasn't come close to those numbers since

JT is really under appreciated around here

EGL22

Mar 20, 2018
Prediction 1 - Leafs should win easily,5-2.

Prediction 2 - If Leafs lose it will be like an A bomb went off in here as all the useless heartless overpaid bums should of traded [put name here] stuff will burn up about 50 pages or so.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Slow ass JT had 36 goals last year and 80 points

Anders Lee scored 40 goals playing on JT's wing. He hasn't come close to those numbers since

JT is really under appreciated around here

I just feat that this season he might be an anchor at 11M on the cap. I think we will wish we can use some of his cap on something else. He is declining, he might get his points but he doesn't look like a 11M player to me.

Sammy Kat

Jun 14, 2021

Prediction 2 - If Leafs lose it will be like an A bomb went off in here as all the useless heartless overpaid bums should of traded [put name here] stuff will burn up about 50 pages or so.

I agree on both.

Beating the Habs is a must no matter how good/bad each team is.
I hate losing to them and that brutal loss in the covid playoffs still haunts me.
Nothing would be better than an opening day trouncing around 6-0.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

This is the way.

I know it is hyperbole, but this is a chance for this team to show they are different from previous incarnations by smashing the Habs, both physically and on the scoreboard.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is the way.

I know it is hyperbole, but this is a chance for this team to show they are different from previous incarnations by smashing the Habs, both physically and on the scoreboard.
It would really be nice to see them play with some urgency every night.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I just feat that this season he might be an anchor at 11M on the cap. I think we will wish we can use some of his cap on something else. He is declining, he might get his points but he doesn't look like a 11M player to me.
At this point it is what it is, no use getting upset over the dollar figure anymore. We all knew that with time he would be overpaid, the unfortunate part was wasting away those first few seasons... those 2019 playoffs still haunt me, I will forever hate the Bruins, the referees and Mike Babcock. Then of course there was the unfortunate head injury in 2021, JT was playing some of the best hockey of his career leading into those playoffs.

2 seasons including this one left on the deal, and if he's still a useful player when the deal is up (and I think he will be), he's likely gonna come back at a significant discount while handing over the keys to the captaincy to Matthews.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
If history is any indication, they will have a sloppy up and down October where the media questions if they're trying to get Keefe fired, followed up a volcanic red hot November where everyone proceeds to shut up for a while.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I remember last year we had a really rough first 2 weeks of the season. Everyone had to be fired, it was an awful experience using this forum during that time. People were saying these two weeks were proof the result would be the same in the playoffs, but we went further than we have in 20 years.

So keep that in mind. These games for the next few months outside of getting some points, have absolutely 0 to do with how well the Leafs will be playing once playoffs come. There will be defensive breakdowns, there will be rust on guys we expect to finish chances.

I just want to see effort tonight which I don't see why I wouldn't. The result itself ultimately doesn't matter. GLG

Reactions: Mitch nylander

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I remember last year we had a really rough first 2 weeks of the season. Everyone had to be fired, it was an awful experience using this forum during that time. People were saying these two weeks were proof the result would be the same in the playoffs, but we went further than we have in 20 years.

So keep that in mind. These games for the next few months outside of getting some points, have absolutely 0 to do with how well the Leafs will be playing once playoffs come. There will be defensive breakdowns, there will be rust on guys we expect to finish chances.

I just want to see effort tonight which I don't see why I wouldn't. The result itself ultimately doesn't matter. GLG
The last two seasons were both like this. In 2021 people were extra mad cause they were still quite salty over the Habs loss (myself included). The Leafs have always started seasons pretty mediocre though and then proceeded to go on a huge run once November rolled around.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The last two seasons were both like this. In 2021 people were extra mad cause they were still quite salty over the Habs loss (myself included). The Leafs have always started seasons pretty mediocre though and then proceeded to go on a huge run once November rolled around.

Yup I know. And last year I spent the entire time arguing with folks that they started the same the year before but no one wanted to hear it.

I have learned over the years the memory of the average person is 24 hours long

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Yep, obviously you're not going to have it every night, and there are going to be times where the other team is more motivated.

But for games like this (season opener, against a rival), where you should be at least somewhat fired up, I don't think it's that much to ask that they at least be near the effort level of the opponent.

I get we've faired okay in these openers but we've been consistently outworked, but pulling out wins because we're quite frankly, a far better team then the Habs or Sens.

We've seen it time and time again. This team just shows up and expects to be handed the 2 points, and often they do win because of their talent. Then the playoffs roll around and just "showing up" isn't enough anymore, even when you have vastly more talent than your opponent (Habs, CBJ).

Reactions: wingman75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad