Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] F Matty Beniers re-signs with the Kraken (7 years, $7.14M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
I see him Topping out as krechi level player. So this should be a good contract that he’ll age into

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I like these deals, but (and I have no concrete examples at the moment) the team's that sign them tend to not make any noise until the back half of them, sometimes when there is a year or two left on these deals.

If I am a GM signing this contract, I am looking to compete for a conference championship for like legitimately 6/7 years of this deal.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Impossible contact to have any feeling about right now as it’s totally betting on the future. Time will tell; could be great, good be alright, could be bad

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
This contract makes Bernier around the #100th highest paid player in the league. Feels like peoples salary ranges are still based on 10 years ago. Salaries are only going to keep going up as the cap goes up.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Sophomore jinx got him, but his work rate is so f***ing high, and he has pretty good tools to go with that, he'll be worth his contract, and perhaps more.
Agreed. Disappointing sophomore year (like lots of the Kraken TBF) but he's too good not to be at least a high-end #2 with an all-weather game.

This will age well...I think he'll be a much better all-around player than more than a few of the guys who have gotten similar or even more on their max 7-8 year, post-ELC extensions.

This is a bet I'm making knowing what we've already seen from him on the ice as a rookie and what kind of character he has.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I like these deals, but (and I have no concrete examples at the moment) the team's that sign them tend to not make any noise until the back half of them, sometimes when there is a year or two left on these deals.

If I am a GM signing this contract, I am looking to compete for a conference championship for like legitimately 6/7 years of this deal.
Nailed it. Combined with many of their wave of top draft prospects playing out the last year or two of their ELCs, Grubi’s contract off the books, etc, they could have some serious cap space to load up and go for a deep run.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nailed it. Combined with many of their wave of top draft prospects playing out the last year or two of their ELCs, Grubi’s contract off the books, etc, they could have some serious cap space to load up and go for a deep run.
I think it's just a waste if you are not trying to compete immediately. You've clearly identified a core player that you think you can win with. Why waste time? Go for it...otherwise why sign the deal? For ownership?

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Once again the majority are proclaiming it's a great deal for the team, so if these long-term deals based on promise are always great deals for the team, why does the player agree to them?

This should be looked at as a great deal for Beniers. He's proven nothing to earn $50m. What happened last year erases his early success and puts him back into needing to prove himself to earn this much money. I think the broader question is whether or not Beniers is even that good in the first place. That Michigan team was so deep that the danger is automatically believing that all of them are good independently of each other. And it's been a similar story in Seattle. Their high tide lifted all boats in his rookie year. His boat sank the hardest when the tide rolled out last season.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Once again the majority are proclaiming it's a great deal for the team, so if these long-term deals based on promise are always great deals for the team, why does the player agree to them?

This should be looked at as a great deal for Beniers. He's proven nothing to earn $50m. What happened last year erases his early success and puts him back into needing to prove himself to earn this much money. I think the broader question is whether or not Beniers is even that good in the first place. That Michigan team was so deep that the danger is automatically believing that all of them are good independently of each other. And it's been a similar story in Seattle. Their high tide lifted all boats in his rookie year. His boat sank the hardest when the tide rolled out last season.

I agree
It seems like every long term deal on Hfboards is team friendly, and like it isnt the player seeking long term security amidst uncertainty

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Good deal. I was hoping Catton would be available for the Devils this past Draft but Seattle got him. That 1/2 punch longterm down the middle of Beniers/Catton looks good if Catton is a center at the NHL level. If not he should be a high end winger for Beniers. Could be a Nico/Hughes like combo.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I think it's just a waste if you are not trying to compete immediately. You've clearly identified a core player that you think you can win with. Why waste time? Go for it...otherwise why sign the deal? For ownership?
Definitely go for it. Anything can happen in the playoffs. I’m just saying the financial and developmental stars appear set to align through the back half of Beniers’ new contract, and you have to think there’s some legitimate groundwork now in place to say they could be cup contenders. The roster will have young blue chip talent having accrued some meaningful NHL experience while their ELCs provide cap space for veterans to balance out the roster.

Reactions: seafoam

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I don't like this deal. I don't understand why teams don't take advantage of bridge deals.

Sign the player for 2-3 years at a lower cap hit, make sure he's the real deal and then sign him to the 7 year deal when he's closer to free agency. You get some cap savings and control the player longer.

This deal pays him big money before producing big numbers and he's a UFA in 7 years.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I don't like this deal. I don't understand why teams don't take advantage of bridge deals.

Sign the player for 2-3 years at a lower cap hit, make sure he's the real deal and then sign him to the 7 year deal when he's closer to free agency. You get some cap savings and control the player longer.

This deal pays him big money before producing big numbers and he's a UFA in 7 years.
With the cap going up in the next few years, that deal is almost a guaranteed bargain. In 2-3 years, he ends up signing for 9-10M because the cap has gone up, he has nothing to prove and your buying off more UFA years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad