Confirmed with Link: Scott Arniel named Winnipeg Jets head coach

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'll predict Chevy's comments right now -
He'll say they had a great reg season and fell short in the PO's - and now they need to spend the offseason working on that 10% increase in skill / conditioning / whatever.
He will not come out and state they need to step up their level of compete - if he does, I will be beyond shocked.

I think every team learns from their failures - but I do not think every team does what they need to do to over come those failures. And I'm not referring to teams that simply do not have a lineup that will take them all the way - I'm referring to 110 pt reg season teams that fall on their face when the chips are down.

I found KC's post season comments very encouraging - he acknowledged that one of the major parts of the process that the players control, is the level of compete they bring to the game. It's not a learning curve - you either bring it or you don't. All of these players watch what other top teams bring to the PO's - just like the fans. It's no secret and doesn't require any special skills or insight to understand what these top teams are bringing. So the hard part is not understanding / learning - it's actually following through and doing what needs to be done.

JoMo, KC, and Lowry all get it based on their comments. But talk is cheap, they need to do what they need to do and bring it when it matters.

The one thing with this group that I haven't cared for the last number of years is that they are a very hot and cold team. They go on streaks when they look unbeatable and then they have streaks where they look awful. I guess the good news is that there were less of those cold streaks last year but they picked a terrible time to go ice cold again in the playoffs.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
JoMo, KC, and Lowry all get it based on their comments. But talk is cheap, they need to do what they need to do and bring it when it matters.

The one thing with this group that I haven't cared for the last number of years is that they are a very hot and cold team. They go on streaks when they look unbeatable and then they have streaks where they look awful. I guess the good news is that there were less of those cold streaks last year but they picked a terrible time to go ice cold again in the playoffs.
I don't think they went cold in the PO's and I don't see the hurdle being consistency (although they did struggle a bit with that TY) -
Put it this way - do you think the Aves got hot in the playoffs vs the Jets or did they simple step up their game?

I'm starting to sound like a broken record around here but the Jets need to figure out how to take their game up a notch or two when playing the games that really count. They are not going to beat many of the western PO teams based on having a talent edge - it's going to come down to how bad they want it (and that goes beyond just telling us they really want to win).

Side note - just listened to Arniel interview - sounds like they are staying on message - 5/10% better :sarcasm:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think they went cold in the PO's and I don't see the hurdle being consistency (although they did struggle a bit with that TY) -
Put it this way - do you think the Aves got hot in the playoffs vs the Jets or did they simple step up their game?

I'm starting to sound like a broken record around here but the Jets need to figure out how to take their game up a notch or two when playing the games that really count. They are not going to beat many of the western PO teams based on having a talent edge - it's going to come down to how bad they want it (and that goes beyond just telling us they really want to win).

Side note - just listened to Arniel interview - sounds like they are staying on message - 5/10% better :sarcasm:

I'll be honest to me it looked like we got caught with our pants down against Colorado and never where able to pull them back up. It was the worst this group has ever looked in the playoffs and it wasn't close imo. But I think we are letting that performance cloud our judgement a bit.

I know we went out in 5 last year as well but I thought outside of game 5 the team competed with the Knights and were in every game despite losing key players like Mark and JoMo to injuries.

I'll be honest getting shit kicked like they did might be the best thing to happen to this group as it was years of excuses by the players and org. Well it now seems like the players actually are embarrassed for a change and there were no excuses for once. If this doesn't wake them up to want to do something about it nothing will.

I juat listened to the interview. I didn't have any issue with any thing he said. Wanting to sustain their regular season success and get it done in the playoffs should be the goal.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
All we have to do now is hope that the competition stand pat and don't also improve by "5-10%" and we're golden!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Good interview to me, i think Arniel and at least some of the Jets are pissed at how shity they played in the playoffs, hopefully they use that as some motivation this upcoming season and hopefully playoffs.

One would hope so yes. But one would also have hoped that lesson might have paid off in one of the previous few seasons of poor PO performances...after which pretty much all the same comments were made.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Watching the last few games FLA/Nyr and Dal/Edm, the Jets aren’t even close to their compete and skill level.
Having a team that doesn’t fold like a cheap tent the moment they get down a goal would be a dream. Where’s that pride and push back we saw in that Carolina game. That’s the team I want to see.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Both Arniel and Lauer were hired prior to the 2022-23 season. The previous season the Jets ranked 17th on the PP and 29th on the PK, definitely not stellar. With Arniel in charge of the PK, the Jets in 2022/23, improved to 7th (very good) while Lauer's PP regressed to 23rd (hmmm). This past season, and I'm assuming they had the same responsibilities, the Jets PK dropped to 21st while the PP came in at 22nd. Any thoughts on what might have happened with the PK? (different players, different system implemented by Arniel?) As for the PP, given that Lauer hasn't had success with it with other teams......
Stenlund and Maenalenen were both good PKers.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I just don't think this current roster is getting over any humps unless a couple of serious bodies are added to the lineup. By that I mean a serious top 6 forward (probably a center) and a serious top 4 D man - guys that could legitimately play on the top lines. And they need to be guys who bring that PO intensity with them. There's nothing the coach is going to do that turns the trick if all that changes is bottom six and bottom pairing players.

Reactions: hn777

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I'll be honest to me it looked like we got caught with our pants down against Colorado and never where able to pull them back up. It was the worst this group has ever looked in the playoffs and it wasn't close imo. But I think we are letting that performance cloud our judgement a bit.

I know we went out in 5 last year as well but I thought outside of game 5 the team competed with the Knights and were in every game despite losing key players like Mark and JoMo to injuries.

I'll be honest getting shit kicked like they did might be the best thing to happen to this group as it was years of excuses by the players and org. Well it now seems like the players actually are embarrassed for a change and there were no excuses for once. If this doesn't wake them up to want to do something about it nothing will.

I juat listened to the interview. I didn't have any issue with any thing he said. Wanting to sustain their regular season success and get it done in the playoffs should be the goal.
Just the compete was not there. We man handled Colorado in the regular season I wonder if they expected it to be like that and were left in shock when Colorado came out flying. Colorado not only flicked the switch, but also made changes to how they would play against Winnipeg. Of course Bowness didn't make any changes to our game but even if he did you could see there were two different energy levels out there. Colorado was beating us to every puck.

Reactions: Cypruss and Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
:laugh: Ok yes i am along with the 18 skaters . If you think we got Vezina level goaltending that's great, me personally i don't think we did.

I don't disagree.
But I'll keep coming back to the same thing. IF we accept what he said, he couldn't see the puck. No goalie stops many of the pucks he can't see. All he can do is try to be big and hope the puck hits him.

We didn't get Jennings trophy defence either. We didn't get PO intensity. We didn't get good coaching. We didn't get any offense either.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
So much loser-talk in this thread. The Jets have been a playoff disgrace basically our entire existence minus one run. Calling last season a success because we had a good regular season is lame af.

Arniel may end up working out, picking coaches is hard to judge. Coaches are generally as successful as their players are good. That being said, it is hard to get excited about more of the same, and if Lauer is back our shit special teams can be expected to continue with likely regression in goaltending/5v5 play. Not inspiring a lot of optimism from me.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013

The Avs looked so normal against the Stars it should add to the embarrassment. If the Avs had torn up the competition on their way to winning the Cup, it would have been easy to chalk our loss up to facing a juggernaut. But the Avs looked completely normal against the Stars (even before Nuke went down) that there's no way to spin it positively. There is a large gap between the real contenders and how the Jets played in the playoffs.

I think the tough call is whether the Jets team that dominated the competition in November and December would have been able to compete with the Avs and Stars. If not, then there are more fundamental problems with this group than a hard-working off-season will cure.

And even if the Jets at their best could have competed, Chevy needs to scour the RFA market to improve even more. Look at Florida trading for Bennett, Reinhart and Montour when they were at a low RFA value... and then picking up Gustav Forsling on waivers... you don't need low taxes and nice weather to make those moves.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Definitely anti-climatic. It will be interesting to see what (if any) changes are made to his coaching staff, and what kind of changes they might try and bring to the team. Open to seeing how it shakes out.

The roster itself, and whatever changes Chevy makes will likely be the biggest impact.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I agree the Jets were caught off guard in the PO's TY - I guess my question for the team would be, why did that happen? Were they not aware that teams usually ramp it up in the PO's?

Like you, I hope they learned something from it - I'm not convinced they are focusing on what they need to do to continue to be successful in the PO's. IMO, the issues in the PO's are more related to the team understanding the level of compete and play that is needed to win. It's easy to say "we'll need to be better" and we've heard that before.

Arniel's comments are what you would expect - I have no issue with them other than the 10% better BS. I'm hoping that isn't the call to glory line they stencil on the dressing room wall next year.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Man so tough to compete at the top level when we can add nothing A+ from free agency like other teams have the option to do......

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not expecting them to part with Lauer. They absolute need to get that man away from the power play though. Let him do the PK, f*** it.

Edit: Nevermind, hallelujah

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad