Confirmed with Link: Scott Arniel named Winnipeg Jets head coach

CaptainUgly

Bronx Bombers
Apr 22, 2018
So, finishing 4th in the league with 110 points while allowing the fewest goals against is defined as "not working"?

Hot take
What's the likelihood of repeating that next year and if they don't is it deemed a failure?

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
What's the likelihood of repeating that next year and if they don't is it deemed a failure?
Depends if they get blown out in the first round again.

Hey the Jets fooled a lot of hockey people last year, many had them making a deep playoff run. Hard to say why they fell so flat on their faces but I trust that the brain trust knows and will try to correct it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup, we've made the playoffs 6 of the last 7 years. A good many teams can't say the same. Yes we haven't had enough playoff success but maybe we should be thankful we aren't fans of perennial rebuilding teams.
I really don't think many around here realize how shitty it would be if we were one of the teams that are in perpetually rebuild and season after the season the main discussion around here is maximizing the tank and who we will draft and which players we will sell off. And keep having to do it as we are selling off the players we were dreaming about drafting a decade earlier.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
One prediction down. Two to go :sarcasm:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't think they'll hit 110 again. Personally, I think they overachieved in the regular season and underacheived in the playoffs

That said, there are a lot of question marks between now and October with regards to the line up, most specifically Ehlers and the defense. It's too early to make any predictions... but if you held my feet to the fire, I'd say they'd finish 3rd in the central (but could be anywhere from 2nd to wildcard)

Moving forward, their obvious and most critical yardstick by which their progress will be measured will be in the playoffs

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
I don't think they'll hit 110 again. Personally, I think they overachieved in the regular season and underacheived in the playoffs

That said, there are a lot of question marks between now and October with regards to the line up, most specifically Ehlers and the defense. It's too early to make any predictions... but if you held my feet to the fire, I'd say they'd finish 3rd in the central (but could be anywhere from 2nd to wildcard)

Moving forward, their obvious and most critical yardstick by which their progress will be measured will be in the playoffs
Maybe they only squeak in but go on a run. Maybe. Maybe we will have to wait and see.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Having thought more about this, I like the hire. He had brief stint as a HC on a bad team with whiny player agents.

Tired of retread coaches being hired simply because they were already coaches. The guy has a ton of NHL experience as a player and behind the bench. Has done his time in the minors and as an assistant. Maybe he'll have a fresh perspective on the game and how to get this team of middling talent to play as a proper team when it matters most.

I dont mind the promoting from within the organization. Wished it was done more often in pro sports and in other industries in the workforce.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'm not sure that we should have made it into the playoffs all of those years (especially 1985-86, what the heck happened there), but we somehow made it in 11 times in 17 years.
Buffalo has had some good teams that have hit better teams in the playoffs... same as the Jets... then they were sold a bill if goods by a shit GM that sold shit ownership on a bogus plan

1990s winnipeg jets are the current buffalo sabres... worse if you see how our draft capital panned out in Arizona

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
I’m not even sure it matters who coaches this team. The core has proven year after year it can’t handle the playoffs. The hope has to be that this next wave of prospects can bring something that Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Morrissey and Helly haven’t been able to. I have no real issue with Arniel, but this roster needs a lot of help.
and Chevy ain’t the guy to do it. That’s been proven

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Buffalo has had some good teams that have hit better teams in the playoffs... same as the Jets... then they were sold a bill if goods by a shit GM that sold shit ownership on a bogus plan

1990s winnipeg jets are the current buffalo sabres... worse if you see how our draft capital panned out in Arizona
There's really no excuse for the Jets to not be significantly better than they were in 1993-94 and 1994-95, but, Buffalo's missed the playoffs 13 years in a row.

Paddock should get more flack than he does. Mike Smith drafted extremely well (outside of Bautin), and he should get some credit for that.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Having thought more about this, I like the hire. He had brief stint as a HC on a bad team with whiny player agents.

Tired of retread coaches being hired simply because they were already coaches. The guy has a ton of NHL experience as a player and behind the bench. Has done his time in the minors and as an assistant. Maybe he'll have a fresh perspective on the game and how to get this team of middling talent to play as a proper team when it matters most.

I dont mind the promoting from within the organization. Wished it was done more often in pro sports and in other industries in the workforce.
Hey you get that positive outlook the hell out of here. Arniel is a horrible choice for head coach and we have no chance of even competing next season and beyond.:naughty:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So where do THEY see any 10% improvement? 10% may be getting thrown around as though it is a small ask but the team improving 10% would be huge.

Our top core players are all on the wrong side of their peak performances. None are likely to improve at all, much less 10%.

It is going to be up to roster change to get any improvement. What does Chevy have in mind?

Not sure about skill, but we never saw anything remotely like that intensity from the Jets.

No goalie ever steals a game when he can't see the puck.
I will say it again i agree we got thoroughly outplayed and i am not blaming these playoffs all on Helly but he's considered one of , if not the best goalie in the league so this can't happen, tie game late in the 2nd period with us up 1 game to none....

Reactions: GNP

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
There's really no excuse for the Jets to not be significantly better than they were in 1993-94 and 1994-95, but, Buffalo's missed the playoffs 13 years in a row.

Paddock should get more flack than he does. Mike Smith drafted extremely well (outside of Bautin), and he should get some credit for that.
Smith is so hated but he really was on the leading edge of creative drafting.

He actually had a bunch of misses but his hits were excellent.

I will say it again i agree we got thoroughly outplayed and i am not blaming these playoffs all on Helly but he's considered one of , if not the best goalie in the league so this can't happen, tie game late in the 2nd period with us up 1 game to none....

Yeah if we had vezinabuyck we still may not have won the series but it would have been a series at least

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

So ..... you are blaming Hellebuyck.

Reactions: MardyBum

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really don't think many around here realize how shitty it would be if we were one of the teams that are in perpetually rebuild and season after the season the main discussion around here is maximizing the tank and who we will draft and which players we will sell off. And keep having to do it as we are selling off the players we were dreaming about drafting a decade earlier.

Yes - and no.

Being stuck in an endless effort to take the next step is pretty much the same whether it is that endless rebuild or that endless weak PO performance.

They are not identical, obviously. I prefer good regular season, bad PO to bad regular season, no PO. But both are stuck in mud with the tires spinning.

Starting from either position, you want to see movement in the direction of the goal, not stagnation.

The argument against a rebuild is always the same. Look at the teams whose rebuilds fail over very extended periods. But not all rebuilds fail. At least the bottom feeders can get excited for the draft and the potential of their young players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad