Scotiabank Arena vs. Maple Leaf Gardens

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You were lucky to have season tickets, you must live in Fort Erie or St. Catherines. I live in Hamilton and it usually took an hour to the border and 10 or 15 minutes to cross the border. Back then you didn't need a passport, all you had to do was show your tickets and they said "have a good time", unfortunately it's more of a hassle, but I still go.
Grew up in Thorold, home to Owen Nolan and Connor Timmins.
Played hockey and soccer with Timmins dad, Danny and his Grandfather coached us in soccer all the way up.

If you ever want Leaf tickets just send me a PM and we can work something out.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I once sat in the last row of Greys, right in the middle next to a guy working the camera. Amazing seats!
My mom's boss has the single Gold seat directly behind the low-angle camera at centre ice, and I got it a few times. Great seat, and I could often catch replays on his monitor.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
it is not, I was unfamiliar with that reputation if it does exist. I have always thought the ice at MSG for one was much worse, at least based on how it looks on TV.
I have seen people say our ice is the worst a number of times. People love to complain though so I have no idea if it's true or not. Not sure how to determine which ice is "the worst" so maybe it's fair to say that ours is "among the worst".

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I remeber that too, if you've ever been to the Aud in Buffalo you'd remember that they were very steep. We used to get the Orange section, which were the nose bleeds and they were so steep that when you stood up you felt like you could fall into the next row. You can't drink too much or you may fall.
I forgot about the Aud’s seating, great sight lines if I remember correctly, but I wasn’t even in my teens when I saw the one and only game there, not sure which section we were in…….

I saw three different Who 'final tour' concerts from the end Blues, but I didn't need to bring my own drugs - just inhaling second-hand smoke was enough.
I think I saw a Who final tour show at the CNE, they’re still doing final shows today, sadly without Moonie or the Ox…….

Reactions: notDatsyuk

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Anyone else have the pleasure of skating at Maple Leaf Gardens? I attended two Whipper Billy Watson charity skate there, pleanty of Leaf players were in attendance on ice. Man, I thought that was the coolest thing ever……..

Reactions: Gary Nylund

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
I used to rent Copps Coliseum once a year for a game of pick-up with friends. When the Leafs moved to the ACC, the Gardens could be rented out like any other rink, so we skipped Copps one year and paid a little more to have our pick-up game at the Gardens. What a sight at ice level. The building seemed so much smaller from the ice than being in the seats, because the stands were so steep. The ice pad felt like it were in a pit. The height of the roof seemed to be double what it felt like even from the golds.

I would have completely failed as an NHL player because if I were a Leaf during the Garden years, I would have spent half of each game just staring at the building. It was a magnificent cathedral.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Gardens had character and atmosphere, but in was also outdated, and decrepit. Scotiabank is a far better, more modern venue, and, better for revenues, better for washrooms, food, beer.. everything really.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The Gardens had character and atmosphere, but in was also outdated, and decrepit. Scotiabank is a far better, more modern venue, and, better for revenues, better for washrooms, food, beer.. everything really.
This is pretty much it.

ACC/SBA is a generic, cookie-cutter type arena that is perfect for the corporate world we live in now.

The Gardens was run-down and severely outdated after its 65-year history, but it had a charm to it and it felt like hockey.

Too bad that charm and rusticness can't carry over and translate to the modern arenas being built these days.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Been to both, although I was still a shiftless young man in his mid 20s the last time I went, with my dad I remember, which would have been a year or two before it closed in '99.
I remember the beer was much cheaper but we still complained about the cost.
I remember a MUCH smellier and longer line to the mens urinals.
I remember it feeling more cramped, had a "fuller" look to it.

But honestly, I don't pin emotions or anything like that on buildings . . . it's the people inside it and how good or bad the team is that creates the atmosphere and excitement.

Can I choose to go back to Gardens prices and view the game at Scotiabank Arena?
If only.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
The Gardens for sure. It wasn't an amazing place in terms of epic views or amenities, and it certainly has some horrible history, but it had atmosphere and nostalgia. The Hangar is so blah. Honestly, one of the most meh arenas I've been to. It has no character inside, it's just another building. You see what arenas are doing now (see Little Caesars) and you wonder if we just built too early, before there were some truly great new buildings to see what can really be done.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
If you’ve ever sat in the Blues at MLG… you’ll never experience a view like that anywhere.

Almost felt like you were hovering over the rink.

Not the most expensive seats… but some of the best, IMO.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The Gardens for sure. It wasn't an amazing place in terms of epic views or amenities, and it certainly has some horrible history, but it had atmosphere and nostalgia. The Hangar is so blah. Honestly, one of the most meh arenas I've been to. It has no character inside, it's just another building. You see what arenas are doing now (see Little Caesars) and you wonder if we just built too early, before there were some truly great new buildings to see what can really be done.

What’s with Toronto and bland arenas/stadia? The Skydome was the same story. Some beautiful ballparks were built right after it. Built too early.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If you’ve ever sat in the Blues at MLG… you’ll never experience a view like that anywhere.

Almost felt like you were hovering over the rink.

Not the most expensive seats… but some of the best, IMO.
My favourite seat. I was lucky enough to sit there for every Canada game played at MLG during the 1991 Canada Cup.
First time watching Lindros, what a monster he was.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
What’s with Toronto and bland arenas/stadia? The Skydome was the same story. Some beautiful ballparks were built right after it. Built too early.
All through the 80s every big city were building domes and it was popular then and when Vancouver got BC Place Toronto had to get a dome stadium.
Toronto was the last to build a dome and a couple of years later Baltimore and Cleveland built old fashioned baseball parks and that was the new favorite. Toronto should've played at exhibition stadium another year or two and they would've built a grass old fashioned stadium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad