Scotiabank Arena vs. Maple Leaf Gardens

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
The NHL is about owners making money. Only. The product feels like an afterthought.

The fact the NHL prevented players from going to the Olympics is atrocious.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Never been a fan of the ACC . They rushed the build when the Leafs bought the Raptors and as a result there are many things that seem poorly thought out.
Seems typical of ownership(whoever it might be). No matter how they try, they always seem to get it wrong.

Would like to hear what you see wrong with it if you are willing to take the time to post it.

I've always thought that the ACC/SBA was extremely well thought out for a new building, but the thing that is lacking is the charm of a hockey arena. It completely lacks the buzz and aura that MLG had. It smelled like hockey the second you stepped off the subway.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Would like to hear what you see wrong with it if you are willing to take the time to post it.

I've always thought that the ACC/SBA was extremely well thought out for a new building, but the thing that is lacking is the charm of a hockey arena. It completely lacks the buzz and aura that MLG had. It smelled like hockey the second you stepped off the subway.
The corridors are far too small for the amount of people that move through there. It is very difficult to move around during intermission. I know my way around and have learned different tricks over the years but I know for most it is impossible to hit a washroom and concession during the intermission and get back to your seat for puck drop. Because of this I spend the first 5 minutes or so of the period having to look around people trying to get back to their seats. I know on tv you see empty seats at the beginning of period and it's just explained away as 'the suits don't care'. In reality there are empty seats all over the building at the start of the period.

I think the retrofitting to accommodate the Leafs after the purchase was a big cause of this. Like all things MLSE or prior, it just seems like things were done half assed.

I wonder how many other buildings around the league have obstructed seats ?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The corridors are far too small for the amount of people that move through there. It is very difficult to move around during intermission. I know my way around and have learned different tricks over the years but I know for most it is impossible to hit a washroom and concession during the intermission and get back to your seat for puck drop. Because of this I spend the first 5 minutes or so of the period having to look around people trying to get back to their seats. I know on tv you see empty seats at the beginning of period and it's just explained away as 'the suits don't care'. In reality there are empty seats all over the building at the start of the period.

I think the retrofitting to accommodate the Leafs after the purchase was a big cause of this. Like all things MLSE or prior, it just seems like things were done half assed.

Fair points. I agree with the smaller corridors -- for a newer arena, you would have thought they'd have widened them. The space between concessions, the far wall, and the crowd of people in between, makes it really tight. As for washrooms, I can't think of any arena that is at full capacity that doesn't have huge lineups.

Yeah, the arena was already being built when the Leafs bought it, so it was harder to configure it to a true hockey arena. One good thing that came out of it was the coloured seats, where as the Raptors initially were going to go all grey.

Bell Centre has obstructed seats, which I was disappointed in. Sat centre ice in the upper level. The press boxes hang so low it's tough to see the majority of the score clock the higher you sit up. Buffalo's arena I think has no obstructed seats because the press boxes are pushed at the very top on one side, and the rest of the arena is bowled perfectly. It's a drab arena, but a great view wherever you sit.

Reactions: ACC1224

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Here here. Here's my trick. I am right next to exit in upper deck behind net. I rip out to take a leak right at horn. My buddy gets in concession line first. Then I join him. Then he takes a leak. By time he gets back the stuff is ready and we get back to seat about 30-60 seconds before puck drop. But if you dilly dally you can't do it. and if you are not close to an exit you can't do it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Here here. Here's my trick. I am right next to exit in upper deck behind net. I rip out to take a leak right at horn. My buddy gets in concession line first. Then I join him. Then he takes a leak. By time he gets back the stuff is ready and we get back to seat about 30-60 seconds before puck drop. But if you dilly dally you can't do it. and if you are not close to an exit you can't do it.
I sit near the top so I wait for everyone else to clear out below me then I head down.
There is a smaller washroom just past the Captains wall that I find isn't as busy.
Grab a drink on my way back from whatever stand has the smallest line and back to my seat in lots of time. Whole thing takes about 10 minutes.
I've started ordering more on the app to avoid the concessions altogether.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I sit near the top so I wait for everyone else to clear out below me then I head down.
There is a smaller washroom just past the Captains wall that I find isn't as busy.
Grab a drink on my way back from whatever stand has the smallest line and back to my seat in lots of time. Whole thing takes about 10 minutes.
I've started ordering more on the app to avoid the concessions altogether.
Thanks for tip on washroom. This I find is the biggest time drag. Lines are huge. People always leave before period end. I wait til end of period.

Reactions: ACC1224

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I was at game 7 in 93 vs the kings. The place was electric. It was unreal. There's no atmosphere to the sbc. The gardens was classic. Smaller seats but who cares cause the place reeked of history and passion.
Leg room was a struggle for bigger people.

Apparently the seats were originally wider, but then Ballard and Stafford Smythe put in smaller seats in the 60s to increase revenue.

Reactions: Ratboy

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Leg room was a struggle for bigger people.

Apparently the seats were originally wider, but then Ballard and Stafford Smythe put in smaller seats in the 60s to increase revenue.
I only went there as a kid so it didn't bother me and their reason for shrinking seat sizes doesn't surprise me.

My father after hearing that Ballard was dead on the radio - 'Good.'

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Not even a comparison to MLG. That place was quite the zoo for opponents fans if they got yappy too. More fights in the stands on a Saturday night than on the ice ha. A Zoo. Loud as hell, obstructed views lol. Loved it my handful of times there. That place rocked hard

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
The NHL is about owners making money. Only. The product feels like an afterthought.

The fact the NHL prevented players from going to the Olympics is atrocious.
I don't want our stars anywhere near a tournament intended for amateurs.
Concussion/Broken Foot etc...
No way.
They're paid by the Leafs.
I'm a Leaf fan way before I'm a Canada fan.

salamicartier

Jul 22, 2018
I was 12 years old when the Leafs moved from MLG to the ACC. I did get to go to 1-2 games per year at MLG as my father's law firm had tickets in the Greens. My only really distinct memories of the place are the troughs in the bathroom and the limited concessions (at least compared to SkyDome). I did get a bit of a tour from an MLSE big wig a few years before the Leafs moved. If I was a bit older (and knew about them) would've liked to have seen the bowling alley which I'm told existed somewhere inside the building. It would've been neat to see Ballard's apartment, though I think that was converted to office space once he passed away. For modern amenities, there's no comparison between the ACC and MLG, but for old-time charm obviously MLG wins out.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
"Scotia Bank Arena", or "Air Canada Centre", could be anything or for any thing. "Maple Leaf Gardens" could only be in Toronto, for hockey (and other things).

And like their generic meaningless names, the new rinks, and this applies to all of them, are generic and heartless.

The Montreal Forum was a wonderful place to watch a game. The Bell Centre isn't, and it has nothing to do with the product.

The old Chicago Stadium was a madhouse. The new one, whatever it's called this week, is just another arena.

Maple Leaf Gardens had atmosphere you could see, hear, taste, (smell, thanks to the urinal troughs), and feel. SBA has more, but not better, seating, and fancy new technology, but there is no soul.

Actually, instead of the new rinks in Montreal, Chicago, and Toronto seeming dull because the product on the ice isn't as good, I wonder if the product on the ice isn't as good, at least partly because the rinks aren't.

Reactions: fancy lad

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
SBA superior in every aspect. More respectable environment than MLG was.

I think this is a fair comment of what SBA provides in comparison to MLG, in terms of aesthetics, space, in-arena options, etc. To be expected with an arena built in '99 as opposed to '31. Not to mention the black cloud hanging over MLG's history with the scandal.

But in terms of charm and atmosphere, for me, MLG felt like hockey, whereas SBA is so damn stuffy.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think this is a fair comment of what SBA provides in comparison to MLG, in terms of aesthetics, space, in-arena options, etc. To be expected with an arena built in '99 as opposed to '31. Not to mention the black cloud hanging over MLG's history with the scandal.

But in terms of charm and atmosphere, for me, MLG felt like hockey, whereas SBA is so damn stuffy.

Atmosphere is more enjoyable in SBA as well. Fewer goons show up.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The old stadiums were much better for fans who just want to watch hockey and that had nothing to do with urinals or obstructed views. It was the view, they were smaller and you were much closer to the players, so it was much better. I did Maple Leaf Gardens and the old Chicago Stadium and they were both amazing. Alas, I never got to the Detroit Olympia before it closed. It looks amazing in pictures. Joe Louis Arena was terrible. It was the worst of both worlds, horrible over-seating like the new arenas, without the amenities.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Scotiabank has awful atmosphere but the seats are amazing. I have sat front row many times due to work and also in the third last row due to paying for myself lol. The seats in the front are great obviously but a lot of dead angles. I was super impressed with the view all the way at the top.

Only went to one game at the gardens and I was pretty young. Can’t say I remember details

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I grew up going to the Gardens with my dad (also went to the first game at the ACC with him). It is clearly the Garden. I think the ACC/SBA could be as good or better if they didn't price people out. Even without the crazy price increase, our sets got moved back essentially from what would now be front row golds, to front row reds (I was right behind the net).

The way the Platinums have been priced out for essentially anyone that isn't a business or billionaire has hurt the atmosphere and the tradition of the Leafs.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The gardens just had that feel to it. There was so much history in that building. The seats were small and it had that awkward wall in one section but it was nostalgic like Fenway or Wrigley. The ACC is good enough but theres nothing unique about it. All modern day rinks are like this though. It's like the cookie cutter homes you see in brampton or in the suburbs. Not much character to it.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Bowen's remarks echo his disappointment with the atmosphere at the arena, especially given the passionate nature of Maple Leafs fans. The energy from the crowd is crucial, as it can significantly impact the players' performance.

The Leafs Morning Take podcast also discussed Bowen's tweet, featuring comments from Jay Rosehill:

"He has seen it loud and if he is openly expressing that it's disappointing, I mean you know there's something going on. Do they have the most expensive tickets in the league by far, no. Like it isn't expensive to go watch the Habs in opening night, as well''

Rosehill's comments critique not only the ticket prices but also the crowd dynamics, suggesting that the audience may lack the embodiment of passion that is typically associated with Maple Leafs fans, referring to them as 'suits'.

While Bowen's idea of making fans in the lower bowl stand and cheer more often may sound humorous, it raises a serious point. The players can feel the crowd's energy, making it vital for fans to create a lively atmosphere to support the team. Otherwise, is there really home ice advantage in Toronto?

Reactions: Boxscore

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I was at MLG many times, starting in the 60s - for Leafs games, many Marlies games, and concerts (Dylan and a couple of Who the best). I've been to SBA several times - for Leafs games, a few Marlies games, and concerts (Tina simply the best).

For concerts, I thought the sound was better at MLG, but since I was front row for Tina I can't do a fair comparison on seating.

Hockey there is just no comparison - with the possible exception of the old Montreal Forum, nothing compares to the atmosphere there. Even just stepping onto the ice (I've played in both MLG and SBA) there is something massively different.

Comparing MLG to SBA is like comparing a church to an office building.

I think the timing of the move to their new location was unfortunate, because there could be no better home for the HHOF than Maple Leaf Gardens.

Reactions: leafs in five

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad