Scotiabank Arena vs. Maple Leaf Gardens

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The atmosphere was bad, in part, because the season opening production was lazy, but also because fans are a little empathetic after watching 8 yrs of having no hope of winning and feeling like they’re watching the exact same movie.

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
Loved the old barn it had a great apnosphier

Benn to a game at air canada center not the same

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Gardens hands down, I loved everything about it from the stale popcorn and flat coke to the escalators and prehistoric ushers. Everything about the place screamed history, and with so few private boxes, it was the people’s arena……..
Agreed.
People bring atmosphere to sports, not the building.
If you think the building has nothing to do with it, I'll just say that I strongly disagree and leave it at that. People are a part of it, but so is the building.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Agreed.

If you think the building has nothing to do with it, I'll just say that I strongly disagree and leave it at that. People are a part of it, but so is the building.
Not to mention just how quickly the gardens was built and grass roots financed, that generation knew how to get things done. Conn Smyth expected the same from his teams be it playing on the ice or working in his Caledon quarry, work ethic wasn’t a problem back then………

Reactions: Gary Nylund

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I think when you look back on it, scotiabank arena wasn't the best choice. It's void of ANY character and it's not even big enough.

Toronto as the hockey mecca or whatever should at least have a 22000-25000 seat arena - it would still easily sell out. As it stands now, we have a cookie cutter home that most fans are priced out of and can't actually get tickets even if they wanted to.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think when you look back on it, scotiabank arena wasn't the best choice. It's void of ANY character and it's not even big enough.

Toronto as the hockey mecca or whatever should at least have a 22000-25000 seat arena - it would still easily sell out. As it stands now, we have a cookie cutter home that most fans are priced out of and can't actually get tickets even if they wanted to.
Toronto is the Hockey Media Mecca.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Gardens hands down, I loved everything about it from the stale popcorn and flat coke to the escalators and prehistoric ushers. Everything about the place screamed history, and with so few private boxes, it was the people’s arena……..
I always sat in centre Greys or end Blues. The Greys were in the nose bleeds, but if you got centre Greys you could see everything. The Blues were behind the goalies, they were good when the Leafs were scoring on the net where you sat.

Reactions: rumman

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Bowen's remarks echo his disappointment with the atmosphere at the arena, especially given the passionate nature of Maple Leafs fans. The energy from the crowd is crucial, as it can significantly impact the players' performance.

The Leafs Morning Take podcast also discussed Bowen's tweet, featuring comments from Jay Rosehill:

"He has seen it loud and if he is openly expressing that it's disappointing, I mean you know there's something going on. Do they have the most expensive tickets in the league by far, no. Like it isn't expensive to go watch the Habs in opening night, as well''

Rosehill's comments critique not only the ticket prices but also the crowd dynamics, suggesting that the audience may lack the embodiment of passion that is typically associated with Maple Leafs fans, referring to them as 'suits'.

While Bowen's idea of making fans in the lower bowl stand and cheer more often may sound humorous, it raises a serious point. The players can feel the crowd's energy, making it vital for fans to create a lively atmosphere to support the team. Otherwise, is there really home ice advantage in Toronto?

The atmosphere has been so bad that they don’t seem to care if they have home games on Saturday night. This year they’re ~ 50/50 home and road on Saturday and the opponents are blah.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I always sat in centre Greys or end Blues. The Greys were in the nose bleeds, but if you got centre Greys you could see everything. The Blues were behind the goalies, they were good when the Leafs were scoring on the net where you sat.
Those blue seat were pretty steep, I saw Yes in the round in those seats, I was tripping on acid and thought I was going to fall into the seats below, great concert once I got control of my drug induced anxiety…….

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I once sat in the last row of Greys, right in the middle next to a guy working the camera. Amazing seats!

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Those blue seat were pretty steep, I saw Yes in the round in those seats, I was tripping on acid and thought I was going to fall into the seats below, great concert once I got control of my drug induced anxiety…….
I remeber that too, if you've ever been to the Aud in Buffalo you'd remember that they were very steep. We used to get the Orange section, which were the nose bleeds and they were so steep that when you stood up you felt like you could fall into the next row. You can't drink too much or you may fall.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I remeber that too, if you've ever been to the Aud in Buffalo you'd remember that they were very steep. We used to get the Orange section, which were the nose bleeds and they were so steep that when you stood up you felt like you could fall into the next row. You can't drink too much or you may fall.
Right!

It was crazy how steep the Aud used to be. 3 pops and it felt like you might roll doen the steps

Reactions: hoglund

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We had Season tickets in the Oranges when I was a kid. The rows had no railings in front of them like rinks do today. I use to have nightmares as a kid of falling all the way to the ice. Great memories though watching the French Connection and being at the fog game in the Finals against the Flyers, were some of the highlights.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The atmosphere was bad, in part, because the season opening production was lazy, but also because fans are a little empathetic after watching 8 yrs of having no hope of winning and feeling like they’re watching the exact same movie.
I think your auto-incorrect misspelled 'apathetic'.

Reactions: Nineteen67

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
We had Season tickets in the Oranges when I was a kid. The rows had no railings in front of them like rinks do today. I use to have nightmares as a kid of falling all the way to the ice. Great memories though watching the French Connection and being at the fog game in the Finals against the Flyers, were some of the highlights.
You were lucky to have season tickets, you must live in Fort Erie or St. Catherines. I live in Hamilton and it usually took an hour to the border and 10 or 15 minutes to cross the border. Back then you didn't need a passport, all you had to do was show your tickets and they said "have a good time", unfortunately it's more of a hassle, but I still go.

Reactions: ACC1224

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I saw three different Who 'final tour' concerts from the end Blues, but I didn't need to bring my own drugs - just inhaling second-hand smoke was enough.

• Haha
Reactions: rumman and hoglund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad