OT: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS Part Three

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Ok, so I've caught up and almost finished all the available "Cosmere" stuff. I used up a bunch of amazon digital bucks over the last few weeks working thru a few and last couple days read both of the first two Secret Story books.

I'm around half-way thru Sunlit Man and was going to hold off, but I'm kinda irritated at it to be honest. It's not like it's a bad book, I think it's good and the setting very interesting.

I hate that its spoiling the fate of a character from Stormlight. I really am not a fan of prequels utilizing existing characters because you know the fates of those characters and whether they will live or die and it eliminates some possibilities. I really don't like finding out so much about a character who survives well beyond the Stormlight series.

Yea, you got spoilers about
Wit/Hoid
in Tress and Yumi... But that character is more or less expected to be
a narrator type through-out the Cosmere books
so it's not as huge a spoiler as finding out a character in Stormlight survives for hundreds of years, gains immense powers, loses this, gains that, etc...

If I was recommending a reading order I would tell people not to even read Sunlit Man at least until after Stormlight 5 and possibly later seeing when Stormlight 6 picks up compared to when Sunlit Man takes place.

I think Yumi and The Nightmare Painter may be my favorite book written by Brandon Sanderson. I liked both Tress and it and the artwork used in both (well all 3, although Sunlit Man doesn't feel as utilized to me) was a nice touch. I did like Tress a lot as well and it felt like a classical fairytale and was heavy on the whimsy.

It is impressive to see a writer willing to be shifting to very drastic different tones and styles.

Last edited:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I finished The Spear Cuts Through Water last night.

It was one of the more unique books I've ever read. It goes pretty seamlessly between first, second, and third person perspective, which was extremely weird and awkward near the beginning, but once I adjusted it was actually pretty cool. He book is fairly violent, the main plot thread follows two young men traveling together during a violent rebellion under an extremely tyrannical empire. The unique part is how the violence is handled, though. Pretty much anytime somebody dies ‘on-screen’ you get to read their final thoughts. It makes things a lot more personal. When the protagonists kill somebody, they aren’t just a faceless goon for the empire, they’re a person with wants and desires.

There’s also a scene involving a tortoise that broke my f***ing heart.

Highly, highly recommend this one. It’s one of the best books I’ve read in years.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Star Wars peaked with the Mos Eisley Cantina scene in episode IV. It sucks, but you just have to accept it. If you're waiting for Star Wars to get to Pulp Fiction/GOT levels....better grab a Snickers

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
This is objectively false. Empire is a masterpiece.
20231214_231320.gif

It's hyperbole, but the point stands. There's precious little new Star Wars content that can hold a candle to stuff from 40+ years ago, much less improve on it.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
View attachment 902322
It's hyperbole, but the point stands. There's precious little new Star Wars content that can hold a candle to stuff from 40+ years ago, much less improve on it.

Of the new stuff, i've enjoyed The Mandalorian, Rogue One, and Andor a lot.

The sequel trilogy started off fine enough with The Force Awakens. The story was a re-hash of A New Hope but it was still well made, exciting, and introduced a handful of likeable new characters. Then it went off the rails with The Last Jedi and crashed into a ravine with The Rise of Skywalker.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
The biggest Sci-fi IP in the world ruined and slaughtered into something that is completely unrecognizable. Must be Iger, KK and Disney who are the only ones capable of putting in this masterclass. Don't make "your" Star Wars, just make Star Wars. It's not that hard.

Gatekeep your hobbies and your shows. Mainstream media nerdom is absolute garbage.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The sequel trilogy started off fine enough with The Force Awakens.

No it didn't. Every one of those characters, outside of possibly Rae and Han Jr., is millenial f***ing diarrhea. Awful. And the story is f***ing stupid. It gets worse every time I watch it. "Then why do you keep watching it, Cap?" F*** alone knows.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No it didn't. Every one of those characters, outside of possibly Rae and Han Jr., is millenial f***ing diarrhea. Awful. And the story is f***ing stupid. It gets worse every time I watch it. "Then why do you keep watching it, Cap?" F*** alone knows.

I liked Rey, Kylo, Poe, Finn, Snoke, and BB-8. I strongly disliked the rest, especially the super lame Commander Hux. The scenes with Han, Leia, and Chewie all worked for me though.

Rise of Skywalker would have been 1000 times better had it been about the Return of Snoke.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
To this day, I have never watched Rise of Skywalker. I just don’t care. I barely cared to read the Wikipedia summary.

Present day Flyers and Star Wars.

200w.gif

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
does any one have a reasonable short and easy to understand explanation of the Warhammer 40k universe lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad