Confirmed with Link: Schmid and Holtz traded to VGK for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd rounder

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I get what you meant, I was just trying to make my own point. How nobody ever cares what late round draft picks do in the first few years, but are furiously demanding to get rid of first round picks if they aren't working out in the first two years.

I really do not think there was a groundswell for trading Holtz here until the Meier deal went down, then obviously as last season played out and Holtz's ice time was cut again, that's when it started again. I also don't think people want to trade players selected early in general - obviously there is less patience with first round picks because they should be closest to making the league, but there are also plenty of people who think players who were selected in the first round are always salvagable.

There's a limit to how much a team and a player are willing to work together to fix their problems with one another.

Reactions: My3Sons

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Cotter needs to be a great 4th liner for this to not be dumb. If he continues to be anything like he’s shown so far then he’s just some run of the mill guy and you could’ve signed some random guy for scraps
Depends on what you think Cotter is?

My other targets for that sort of role were Yakov Trenin (3.5 mill a year), and Beck Malenstyn (early 2nd+I expect 2.5 mill or so).

If you think cotter is that, 775k for 2 years+RFA control is worth a 1st.

If you think he's a hathaway or duhaime, then it's obviously less. But still about 3-4 mill of surplus value there

It’s less his hockey IQ and more his style of play, so I do consider it a drafting mistake.

And also bad luck, since no one ahead of us screwed up. It’s not hard to see why they passed over Rossi, so it was Holtz/Quinn/Perfetti.

From the 2020 Black Book:
View attachment 891655
<cut>
View attachment 891656

You have to ask how a player is going to score in the NHL. There’s a lot of limitations to his game just in this section.

He couldn’t score with speed, was a perimeter player and his shot creation was iffy.

You have to be a very exceptional scoring winger to get away with slowing down play and trying to find soft ice. And I mean ridiculously exceptional and he’s not that.

Here’s more, the player he is now is all there, it wasn’t a secret. (Lack of agility, good playmaking, etc)
View attachment 891658

Zetterlund doesn’t have better Hockey IQ, and he has worse on-ice vision, he just plays a meat and potatoes, north/south game that translates much better to the NHL.

Zetterlund’s development obviously went really well, like a dream really, but his play style didn’t fundamentally change much either.
Tbf if you gave alex Holtz 19 minutes a night and 4 minutes a night of PP time I think he would certainly top 24 goals and 44 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad