Proposal: Schenn to TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
7 teams in 14 years throw in a couple of stints in the minors. Still making minimum and not getting younger. yeah I'd pass as well
This is just obviously not true. No fan of any team would turn down Schenn for free. There's certainly not much agreement about his value, however.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
terrible proposal! Schenn was turnstiled half a dozen times last night in the Leafs Canucks game! Also, doesn't have the puck skills necessary to play Leafs' system.

Reactions: Confucius

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
He was the worst player on either team last night. He was awful when he played in T.O a decade ago. I wouldnt take him for free either. Im glad Vancouver fans thinks he helps Hughes but I dont think hed help us at all.

Reactions: Confucius

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The more I think on this, the more it makes sense. This wouldn't be the Leafs big deadline upgrade, this would be a switch of defenseman in the #6-7 role. Dermott is going nowhere in Toronto long-term. He's not going to get opportunities for advancement there. I don't know if Vancouver is a good fit, but a change of scenery would probably be good for his career.

Luke fits the mold of what the Leafs need more of. He also comes in at almost half the cap. That will come in handy next season, when the Leafs have to crunch a bit to fit Rielly/Campbell extensions and off-season upgrades. So, they shed cap and gain a player with term that better fits the role that needs to be filled.

The Leafs could shed Dermott elsewhere and gain a pick and then send one out for Luke, or they could swap them for eachother and add around it. Whichever works best from a value perspective for Toronto.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I guess the Leafs could use Schenn as a 7/8th injury insurance type player. No way he dresses in the top 6 as is.
A 4th/5th should get it done. The OP's offer is pretty funny though.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Schenn's actual value and his value to his team are very different. Latter being far greater than the former.

Actual value for a 5/6 guy is more then fulfilled by a younger guy for the same role and a draft pick. Value to our team is not close, it would be openly derided and ridiculed if someone made an offer that fulfills the value to our team.

Reactions: EK392000

GTHLDad

Dec 15, 2009
Happy for Luke that he's made it back to the NHL, it's great that he's found a linemate to cover up his speed issues. Hope he finishes out his career in Vancouver, seems a good fit for a non-playoff team.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Happy for Luke that he's made it back to the NHL, it's great that he's found a linemate to cover up his speed issues. Hope he finishes out his career in Vancouver, seems a good fit for a non-playoff team.

A lot of subtle digs there, considering Saturday.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Anyone paying a big price for Schenn is a fool. He's 32 years old, we know what he is and who he is. Him having a good season for the first time in 10 years does not change anything but for the fool.

Schenn is 4th in hits among Defenceman, you need grit in the playoffs. Leafs don't have any heavy hitting Defenceman.View attachment 506995

Jake Muzzin says hello. Sandin does too, frankly. The Leafs have plenty of grit, what they need is a sports psychologist and their special teams to not shit the bed spectacularly. If you really think we need some hits because Wayne Simmonds doesn't do it for you (Ritchie doesn't do it for anyone) maybe we should just give a 2nd round pick to the Islanders for the guy who's been padding their hit stats the last 10 years.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
As a guy who follow both teams pretty closely, I'd say it's pretty fair honestly.

For the Leafs, it would really be a prelude to other TDL moves. It's a way to shave $700k off the cap while still having a reliable 7D that can rotate in as needed.

For the Canucks, it's acquiring a younger defenseman with a modicum of upside (I am still a Dermott truther, and his analytical profile is similar to Nate Schmidt during his Washington days, so there might be something there). And the Canucks get a desperately needed draft pick.

I see a lot of Canucks fans saying that Schenn is worth more than that, but he really isn't. He's a solid, unremarkable 6/7D. A 3rd round pick is a good price for that. Us Canuck fans have massively overhyped him with the "he's a good partner for Hughes" rhetoric, but that's really also not true. The fact that he's Hughes' best option is saying waaaay more about the quality of the Canucks than anything about Schenn. If the Canucks ever want to be a good team, having Schenn in your nightly top-four is a sure sign you aren't one.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
As a guy who follow both teams pretty closely, I'd say it's pretty fair honestly.

For the Leafs, it would really be a prelude to other TDL moves. It's a way to shave $700k off the cap while still having a reliable 7D that can rotate in as needed.

For the Canucks, it's acquiring a younger defenseman with a modicum of upside (I am still a Dermott truther, and his analytical profile is similar to Nate Schmidt during his Washington days, so there might be something there). And the Canucks get a desperately needed draft pick.

I see a lot of Canucks fans saying that Schenn is worth more than that, but he really isn't. He's a solid, unremarkable 6/7D. A 3rd round pick is a good price for that. Us Canuck fans have massively overhyped him with the "he's a good partner for Hughes" rhetoric, but that's really also not true. The fact that he's Hughes' best option is saying waaaay more about the quality of the Canucks than anything about Schenn. If the Canucks ever want to be a good team, having Schenn in your nightly top-four is a sure sign you aren't one.

Will Dermott improve our team, short term or long term, compared to Schenn? I don't disagree we've overhyped Schenn for his fit with Hughes, and I agree it says something awful about defensive options more then Schenn being a magical angel baby, but I don't see Dermott doing any better, and he doesn't bring anything we don't already have. My, and I think most of the Canucks fans that don't want to trade Schenn for this package, see Schenn's fit being more valuable then Schenn himself. If we can pry someone like Gudas or another physical, defensive minded RHD elsewhere, I'd be happy with this return.

I also don't think we are "desperate" for draft picks yet either. One we get a sell off going, we can discuss this again, but Rutherford has used the term "retool" on at least two occasions I'm aware of.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

It is not just in Vancouver he has fit in well of late. He was a very effective depth defenceman while winning 2 Stanley Cups in TB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad