GDT: SCF | IV | "What Do We Say To The Gord of Death?" | Oilers vs. Panthers | 6.15.24 | 6:00PM | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
When they talk about the cap rising to $100M my first thought is where is this money going to come from? Then I remember some buddies back in the 1990's who were broke but actually borrowed money from the bank to buy Oiler season tickets. The bottom line is that people will pay big bucks for live events even if they can't really afford it.

Me too. The players have had a great season and a very memorable one.

Sweet.
The key for revenue growth in all the major North American sports has been to grow the pie with broadcasting rights and national level sponsorships. The NHL is has the highest percentage of revenue tied to tickets but has been steadily trying to reduce this given its volatility and fixed reality of capacity restraints of buildings.

The NHL is VERY fortunate to have an Edmonton fan market that fills buildings good times and bad and in those great times show little resistant to ticket pricing. They also prioritize their discretionary spending around the hockey team in good years and bad. Your friends are a great example of that unique phenomena. Truly an exceptional fanbase.

Big picture though its grow out the below 49th parallel footprint and grow the big picture pie through broadcast and national sponsorships, merchandise etc.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
They better bring the SISU tonight!

Sisu.jpg

Sisu is a Finnish cultural construct that describes the ability of individuals to push through unbearable challenges. It is an innate courage, integrity, resilience, tenacity and a refusal to give-up.

If you haven't seen the movie check it out its awesome.

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
Florida has the far superior defensive structure, far superior goaltending and they are far less beat up. Those are like the 3 main things in NHL playoffs lol. Theres a sliver of hope but not much. Getting here with Skinner in net was a success no matter how you spin it.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I'd like the Oil to try placing Drai in McDavid's position on the top line to mix things up.

Why not try at the very least doing this:

Nuge Drai Hyman
Fogi McDavid Perry

Now I'd rather not place Fogi in the top six but hey, he was finally pretty good last game.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
I'd like the Oil to try placing Drai in McDavid's position on the top line to mix things up.

Why not try at the very least doing this:

Nuge Drai Hyman
Fogi McDavid Perry

Now I'd rather not place Fogi in the top six but hey, he was finally pretty good last game.
I think the idea of a Holloway-McDavid-Foegele is interesting.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Florida has the far superior defensive structure, far superior goaltending and they are far less beat up. Those are like the 3 main things in NHL playoffs lol. Theres a sliver of hope but not much. Getting here with Skinner in net was a success no matter how you spin it.
Bob has been solid and Florida blocks a ton of shots. Boys need to put their hard hats and attack down low and the high slot with numbers. They were semi successful last game attacking the net front...do it more!!!

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Bob has been solid and Florida blocks a ton of shots. Boys need to put their hard hats and attack down low and the high slot with numbers. They were semi successful last game attacking the net front...do it more!!!

I think we broke the dam last game in the third, just ran out of time.

Biggest thing we need is for Skinner to not vociferously shit himself again.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I think we broke the dam last game in the third, just ran out of time.

Biggest thing we need is for Skinner to not vociferously shit himself again.
It would be nice, yes. Hockey is a momentum sport and Skinner hasn't really risen to the occasion yet.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Panthers have already won the cup on their board, let's make history. They have fans flying to Edmonton for the cup celebration, little do they know, the cup is already on its way back to Florida and also no point in flying it back to Edmonton for game 6 because the Oilers are winning it June 24 in Florida. Yep, I've lost my mind but it's all true.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
They better bring the SISU tonight!

View attachment 883096
Sisu is a Finnish cultural construct that describes the ability of individuals to push through unbearable challenges. It is an innate courage, integrity, resilience, tenacity and a refusal to give-up.

If you haven't seen the movie check it out its awesome.

I'm a bit of a WWII history nerd so TLDR warning. I know this isn't supposed to be historically accurate (it's an over-the-top Inglorious Basterds type of movie), but find it interesting that they based this on the sniper who killed 542 Soviets in defense of the Karelian Isthmus (during the Winter War) which was a much bloodier, destructive and longer war. Karelia was annexed by the Soviets and Finnish population left after the war (some of which were killed in Stalinist purges). Considering the current political climate I think a film based on the actual historical figure could be popular. I imagine part of it is the director trying to distance the Finnish connection to Nazi Germany (understandably) as they were allies up until 1944 when the Finns (apparently rather reluctantly) were compelled to switch sides. Around 4000 casualties each side vs 70K Finnish and 321-381K Soviet casualties in the Winter War

TLDR: Anyhow, sisu is definitely something we'd like to see from the Oilers tonight and extend the series

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Skinner is so brainwashed with his pseudo-science sports psychology . he thinks he'll win the Conn Smythe regardless.
Yea, it's not like other positions. You really don't want a weird, neutered stoic who is so calm he's comatose out there asleep at the wheel letting pucks fly by him. The whole idea of sports psychology and dissecting/compartmentalizing your thoughts and feelings is not something a goalie should be doing. Stay the f*** away from anything in your head, rail some lines of coke and scream at the refs and your defencemen a bit. Skinner ain't the guy.

You want a guy who smokes cigarettes between periods and is pad stacking to win you the Cup. Bobrovsky is the guy. Guys like Hasek and Mike Smith who you can teach some positioning to but who are playing and winning off pure intuition and genetic skill.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The key for revenue growth in all the major North American sports has been to grow the pie with broadcasting rights and national level sponsorships. The NHL is has the highest percentage of revenue tied to tickets but has been steadily trying to reduce this given its volatility and fixed reality of capacity restraints of buildings.

The NHL is VERY fortunate to have an Edmonton fan market that fills buildings good times and bad and in those great times show little resistant to ticket pricing. They also prioritize their discretionary spending around the hockey team in good years and bad. Your friends are a great example of that unique phenomena. Truly an exceptional fanbase.

Big picture though its grow out the below 49th parallel footprint and grow the big picture pie through broadcast and national sponsorships, merchandise etc.
Broadcasting and merchandise are still ultimately paid for largely by a middle class that is under siege for a number of reasons that don't belong in this thread so I won't get into it.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Hang it all out on the line and show us what you're f***ing made of. I don't even want to watch this game because of the potential of the cup being raised in Edmonton by a bunch of inbred, shitstabbing, troglodytes without mothers. Gross. I don't think I can come back from that.

Pickard should be starting. This is for all the marbles.
Skinner's 2nd goal...Way to go on an adventure, benched permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Slovakia vs Ukraine