GDT: SCF | II | "Brick Breaker" | Oilers @ Panthers | 6.10.24 | 6:00PM | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Ceci sits because he makes a LOT less than Nurse - the Oilers would look pretty stupid sitting Nurse at $9.5M
I disagree. It makes Holland look bad as this was the position to upgrade. Oilers missed nurse Vs Vegas and were badly out played.

As much as we like to shit on nurse he plays 22 hard minutes a night. Rarely with mcdavid on the ice and all 5v5 or pk.

Yes he shouldn't "need" a partner to make him better at 9.5 million but that contract is what it is. Also what is expected to be a very heavy series you can't sit one of your tough guys like him.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Can’t overstate how important getting the split is. Florida will feel pretty uncomfortable heading into Edmonton with a tie series

Two days off between games so I expect the big boys to play alot of minutes. We did really well countering their forecheck with quick breakouts, need to keep that up

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not many players have come back from a massive wrist injury like he has and playing with a hernia is not good either.

I was diagnosed with a hernia 3 years ago. I had a consult with a surgeon and he said my hernia was so small he didn’t want to the surgery on it until it got worse. I can go months with forgetting i have a hernia, but some days and certain movements just make it a living hell to be active., i imagine its the same with Kane. I read somewhere last game he couldn’t sit on the bench. Which makes you wonder why he’s playing. I’m not going to judge him or call him cooked because it.
Fair enough. I'll concede that opinion of him.

I don't doubt there's still a player there if and when he gets healthy. Hopefully that's elsewhere though, for the reasons mentioned before. I'd take Henrique or a similar center over him in an instant.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I disagree. It makes Holland look bad as this was the position to upgrade. Oilers missed nurse Vs Vegas and were badly out played.

As much as we like to shit on nurse he plays 22 hard minutes a night. Rarely with mcdavid on the ice and all 5v5 or pk.

Yes he shouldn't "need" a partner to make him better at 9.5 million but that contract is what it is. Also what is expected to be a very heavy series you can't sit one of your tough guys like him.
Aside from fighting how is he tough? I semm to recall him not being able to do a thing against Toews in the playins. Or Eichel, or 2 series ago against LA where one goal was cuz he got dropped infront of his own net in a strength battle

Nurse is not tough. Tons of dman pin players as much as him. Our actual tough dman went to Seattle.....Adam Larsson. He definitely was more punishing than Nurse

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Aside from fighting how is he tough? I semm to recall him not being able to do a thing against Toews in the playins. Or Eichel, or 2 series ago against LA where one goal was cuz he got dropped infront of his own net in a strength battle

Nurse is not tough. Tons of dman pin players as much as him. Our actual tough dman went to Seattle.....Adam Larsson. He definitely was more punishing than Nurse
This is anecdotal evidence to support a point that mostly seems designed to pile on the player.

Nurse to me is clearly a tough player that plays hard.

No need for this one-sided character assassination just because he's not living up to expectations. The world isn't black and white.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Can’t overstate how important getting the split is. Florida will feel pretty uncomfortable heading into Edmonton with a tie series

Two days off between games so I expect the big boys to play alot of minutes. We did really well countering their forecheck with quick breakouts, need to keep that up
We get a split there we need a few brave souls ordering pizzas at their hotel for 3am.

• Haha
Reactions: elmeroil and sepHF

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I guess the Oiler's didn't want to win without me watching live in game 1. I get it, keep the good stuff for the life long fans. :Joking: -> I will be watching this one live with you all tonight.

Oiler's have started every series 'mildly' and game 1 was just that. Getting their feet wet. If the Oiler's potted 1, they likely come back and win that game. But, now game 2 is more pressure filled, which is when they seem to play well.

Game plan for the Oiler's tonight: Pucks on net, traffic in front, shoot high, win the game. Easy peasy.

Reactions: Kerberos

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
This is anecdotal evidence to support a point that mostly seems designed to pile on the player.

No need for this one-sided character assassination just because he's not living up to expectations. The world isn't black and white.

To me, you’re both wrong. Nurse WAS tough as nails for years coming into the league. One of the toughest. But he plays way less tough than he used to. He’s still not like Gaudreau soft but he is a shadow of his former self. So tough is in him, but he’s not playing that tough the past couple years.

Reactions: ZJuice and Biltmore

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

You're conflsting a good dman with a tough dman.

Nurse is extremely tough. Aside from desharnais he's the one dman we have who is happy to drop the gloves. After he was called out hard he responded with a very heavy game.

Florida is known to be a very dirty team. Everyone feels a lot more comfortable out there with Kane nurse Perry desharnais.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

No, he really isn't, and it's not a character assassination. I've said this for years cuz he got a rep early for fighting and then ppl tagged on that he's this "nasty" player to play against, yet games upon games go by where NEVER do you see Nurse leave a player on the ground in an open ice or board battle

I seem to recall Matt Benning laying way more punishing hits than Darnell

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Why is Foegele in though, what did he do in game 1 to play again? They were much better with him sitting as well.
He had the highest SF% (85.7%) on the team last game and an xGF% (83.5%) and HDCF% (100% [6-0]) which are all solid analytics. Though obviously Foegele isn't actually putting any pucks in the net and its a recurring problem for the Foegele - McLeod duo of being good outchancing but not good at outscoring. Obviously the most important thing is outscoring the opposition, but in the absence of having the personnel to do that, a line that outchances and sustains momentum is an alright consolation prize.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
To me, you’re both wrong. Nurse WAS tough as nails for years coming into the league. One of the toughest. But he plays way less tough than he used to. He’s still not like Gaudreau soft but he is a shadow of his former self. So tough is in him, but he’s not playing that tough the past couple years.
There's clearly something different about him just in general. A young guy feeling immortal who has grown a bit older and become more tentative and started questioning himself is my impression.

No, he really isn't, and it's not a character assassination. I've said this for years cuz he got a rep early for fighting and then ppl tagged on that he's this "nasty" player to play against, yet games upon games go by where NEVER do you see Nurse leave a player on the ground in an open ice or board battle

I seem to recall Matt Benning laying way more punishing hits than Darnell
So now you need to deliver spectacular hits to be considered tough?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Not many players have come back from a massive wrist injury like he has and playing with a hernia is not good either.

I was diagnosed with a hernia 3 years ago. I had a consult with a surgeon and he said my hernia was so small he didn’t want to the surgery on it until it got worse. I can go months with forgetting i have a hernia, but some days and certain movements just make it a living hell to be active., i imagine its the same with Kane. I read somewhere last game he couldn’t sit on the bench. Which makes you wonder why he’s playing. I’m not going to judge him or call him cooked because it.
funnily enough just to add

I also almost sliced my finger tip off in June 2022. Got stitches and everything but my fingertip was numb was almost 2 years. Feeling started coming back after 1.5 years but it slow and painful. Given how deep that cut was I can't imagine what Kane went through with that wrist cut he got. I imagine he was numb and still still has some numbness from it.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Bouch/Ek must get their shots on goal, to many over and outside, and alot of traffic in front of BOB.

And i hope Bouch stop with his fake shot dribble and just shoot the puck, to many times now, soon it ends up in a breakaway and goal against.

Lets go!

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Bouch/Ek must get their shots on goal, to many over and outside, and alot of traffic in front of BOB.

And i hope Bouch stop with his fake shot dribble and just shoot the puck, to many times now, soon it ends up in a breakaway and goal against.

Lets go!
The reason he does his fake shot is usually because he doesn't have a clear look at the net. If he's just firing it when there's no shot, it's more likely to end up in a breakaway the other way then a fake shot.

You're right about hitting the target, though. Ekholm needs to dial that in, as he had some amazing looks in game 1.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018

Lets go!
They missed high a lot too. Hope a 1 or 10 of those hit as snipes today.

Reactions: McClelland

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
GO OILERS!!

IMG_7970.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad