SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
For a team that has a literal dynasty in their history with some of the greatest players ever on it sad that they celebrate a Cinderella run lol
Trust me - if there is a team that celebrates their past (that dynasty) too much... it's the Oilers

That's how the whole decade of darkness happened and is still to blame for many problems in the current org. They just gave all those guys jobs because they figured they must know how to win

Reactions: stampedingviking

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Trust me - if there is a team that celebrates their past (that dynasty) too much... it's the Oilers

That's how the whole decade of darkness happened and is still to blame for many problems in the current org. They just gave all those guys jobs because they figured they must know how to win

The pre salary cap Oilers ran on a shoestring budget, heck every small market team did back then.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Reminds me of the Kings in 2012, except they won the ultimate prize. Faced Daniel-less Canucks for first 3 games in 1st round, a Preds team that was self destructing with off-ice drama, and then the Coyotes, enough said.
The 2012 Kings beat the Blues in the second round, not the Preds. The Canucks, Blues, and Coyotes were seeds 1-3 in the conference.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I feel compelled to step in and say that I think the Capitals -- and nothing against the Caps -- were by far the worst team in the playoffs. They were something like a -37 goal differential in the regular season. Edmonton did well to beat Dallas in the WCF... Stars are an excellent team.

Vegas chose to lose the last game of their regular season so Edmonton gets LA, which was pretty much a free pass for them. The 7 game series against Vegas eventually took a toll on Dallas as they just ran out of gas by Game 4 against Edmonton. Dallas had nothing left in the tank and the Oilers ran wild.

Reactions: huge pair

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I hate when people don’t make the poll results public. I wanna see all the brave/prescient souls who picked Florida in 4

I picked 6, but only because Ive picked 6 in every Panthers round, and wanted to continue the trend. I did not think it would be more than 5.

I want to know where all those chest thumpers went, who were doing nothing but shitting on the Panthers, speaking like they actually had a clue what type of team the Oilers were going to face.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Oilers just completely overmatched. They need a bit of an overhaul.
Their big guys have to learn to do more with less.

They’ll win a cup if they ever figure out how to masquerade 2nd and 3rd line wingers as 1st liners for an entire playoff run. When you're the 2 highest paid/most skilled guys in the league, this is the only path to a championship.

Ask Sid and Geno.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Here is my probably dumb take:

Bobrovsky is playing at an elite level
Panthers defensive structure is very good
Panthers are making less mistakes than the Oilers.

McDavid has been good. Draistil has played poorly / is playing hurt. My guess is that the Oilers aren't fully healthy and a lot of guys are banged up.

At a macro level the Oilers have too many defensemen that make sub optimal plays, and currently don't have enough wingers to form a 2nd line.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
He's not wrong. Oilers have been the better team in 2 out of the 3 games. Oilers have outshot the Panthers 86 to 62 this series
That's because Florida could safely turtle through long portions of these games while the Oilers took lots and lots of low-danger shots. Far from being evidence that the Oilers are the better team, it's actually evidence that the Oilers aren't really even particularly competitive since Florida has basically mailed in long stretches of these games.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
How have you shown you can beat a team that’s handedly beaten you 3 games in a row?
You haven't

He's not wrong. Oilers have been the better team in 2 out of the 3 games. Oilers have outshot the Panthers 86 to 62 this series

As I said, sometimes the better team doesn't win the series. Luck factors into hockey more than any other sport. The sooner fans realize this the better.
Beating a team actually entails winning

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Here is my probably dumb take:

Bobrovsky is playing at an elite level
Panthers defensive structure is very good
Panthers are making less mistakes than the Oilers.

McDavid has been good. Draistil has played poorly / is playing hurt. My guess is that the Oilers aren't fully healthy and a lot of guys are banged up.

At a macro level the Oilers have too many defensemen that make sub optimal plays, and currently don't have enough wingers to form a 2nd line.

Rumour is Nurse has a hernia injury, Kane has a back injury and Draisaitl is hurt too. If this was the regular season or round one or two of the playoffs, I think Nurse sits out. Ekholm is injured too but that guy is tough as nails.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad