SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Its going to come down to the PP for FLA more than the PK imo. Can't discount how good the Oilers PK has been.
Panthers pp has been pretty good too. But if we keep it 5v5, Panthers will win.

They have the most penalties so far in these playoffs.

2nd most penalized team in the regular season this year
4th more penalties in regular season in the past 10 years all teams combined (since 2014-2015 season)

So - staying out of the box isn't exactly their thing...
Yeah but vs. the Rangers they showed they can stay out of the box. And their pk was excellent against Rangers.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sounds like the depth beyond who is playing now, isn't very reliable.

You give talking points not specific player examples, I assume this is the case because the stats don't match up to your presumptions.
Haven’t even looked at that stats, don’t need to. Cause again, I watched the games. I know what the Nucks and Stars depth brought and I know what ours brought. From the 3rd line to the press box, from the 3rd pair to the press box. In both cases, enough to tip the scales for the Oilers win. I’d be more than happy to look at the stats though, just haven’t as of yet. But here’s one stat off the top of my head for you, as I already mentioned, the historically elite PK doesn’t happen happen without our depth. That in itself is enough to make my argument.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sounds like the depth beyond who is playing now, isn't very reliable.

You give talking points not specific player examples, I assume this is the case because the stats don't match up to your presumptions.
Connor Brown, Mathias Janmark have owned whoever they have played on any team so far. They are the rocks everyone else is shuffled in and out around them.

Reactions: Coffey

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
"Depth! Depth! All about depth!"

The matchups on the 3rd and 4th line or the bottom D pair at this level are so f***ing irrelevant that it's mildly infuriating that depth still gets touted as the thing to worry about in an opponent this deep in the playoffs.

Almost all playoff series in today's game come down to three things:

- Which team's elites outperform the other team's elites in what is typically a head to head matchup

- Which team performs better on special teams

- Which goalie performs better

The nicer looking name on one team's 4th line compared to the less nicer looking name on the other team's 4th line is so deep down the list of relevance it shouldn't even be a thought. It is nearly impossible to get this deep in the playoffs without 4 lines that can play and 3 d pairs that can play. Any mismatch in "depth" is very minor at this point.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Connor Brown, Mathias Janmark have owned whoever they have played on any team so far. They are the rocks everyone else is shuffled in and out around them.
Seems a bit feast or famine, but that's why I am asking for context on the claims being made, Oilers fans can feel free to ask about our roster if you have any questions.

Screenshot_20240603_153546_Chrome.jpg

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
You are seriously trying to suggest the Panthers fanbase is as hardcore as Canadian ones? Come on man
Well yeah... The vast majority of us put up with 25ish years of being the worst run organization in all of professional sports. Look at the join dates for most of us on here. 03, 14, 06, 10. We put up with years of embarrassment and still stuck it out. So yeah. We are just as hardcore as anyone. The only thing we lack is quantity.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
I think he meant as in, never won a cup period.

Not sure whether they count as GOAT, but Dionne and Lindros spring to mind.
Well in 1983 Gretzky had never won a Cup either, but by then he had already shattered long-standing NHL records and being called the Great One with some already predicting he would become the GOAT. He was certainly condsidered the best player in the League by that point.

The poster made it sound like a current "best player in the League" had never failed to win the Cup if his team appeared in the Finals and, therefore, there's some sort of McDestiny at work that ensures an Oiler victory. He's wrong. Gretzky and his Oilers failed their 1st time around in '83.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think this is Edmonton's year. They just give me that "team of destiny" vibe.

Also remind me of the 2009 Penguins, complete with the "their defense isn't good enough to win" and "their goalie isn't consistent enough to win" arguments.

Their so-called deficits keep being brought up (ie. lack of depth, bad defense corps, bad goalie) and they just continue to outperform those perceived areas of weakness.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Look what up? Are you saying what I posted was wrong? Because it isn't.

Panthers had 415 penalties this regular season. #2 behind Anaheim (439) and way above #3 (358). Edmonton was 9th at 320, almost 100 less

The 415 penalties Florida had this year is the 4th most penalties by any team in the past 10 years combined

Bottom line - they take a lot of penalties.

In the playoffs they have 69 penalties vs 65 for Edmonton (in 1 more game). This one is closer, but they remain a team that takes a lot of penalties.
I am saying exactly that. Entertain my thought process for a moment.

You said they have the most penalties so far in these playoffs.

they are very much in the "normal" area of the bell curve. across all playoff games, among all teams, at 5v5, there were an average of 3.22 penalties per game played. FLA is at 3.1.

Understanding you are saying all situations, here it is:
1717451021556.png

I'll point out that all situations on its face isn't an accurate representation of a team that is prone to take penalties-for example all 8 of FLA's misconducts came from the BOS series when the game wasn't particularly close.

BOS series alone:
Trailing: 5 penalties, 2 misconduct
Leading: 6 penalties, 6 misconduct
Tied: 6 penalties, 0 misconduct
Within 1: 13 penalties, 0 misconduct

Across entire postseason:
Trailing: 19 penalties, 2 misconduct
Leading: 21 penalties, 6 misconduct
Tied: 26 penalties, 0 misconduct
Within 1: 46 penalties, 0 misconduct

This should be a fun series

1717451995673.png

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta

Also remind me of the 2009 Penguins, complete with the "their defense isn't good enough to win" and "their goalie isn't consistent enough to win" arguments.

Their so-called deficits keep being brought up (ie. lack of depth, bad defense corps, bad goalie) and they just continue to outperform those perceived areas of weakness.
I hate that this is likely true.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Feels like a toss up. Could go either way really.

My too specific prediction is that the Panthers will score on their first PP of the series though.

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Oilers in 6
This team really overcame adversity after the early losses to start the regular season.
Hats off to them.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Bro what

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad