SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I don't get why they don't start the season in September (all European hockey leagues do that) and finish in May. It's absurd to be handing out the Stanley Cup in the midst of tropical heat waves. How did we get here?

Because you instantly make 5 months of your season irrelevant to a potential audience. Starting in September means you overlap with 100% of the NFL season

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Because you instantly make 5 months of your season irrelevant to a potential audience. Starting in September means you overlap with 100% of the NFL season

What do you mean, "5 months"? It's about 6 weeks: early September to mid-October. Just deal with it. 100% overlap is still better than the finals in late June. This is a winter sport, for heaven's sake. :ha:

(By the way, no one cares about the NFL outside of North America. I couldn't tell you this year's, or any other year's, Superbowl winner if you killed me, because I have no idea and I couldn't care less. Nor could other people outside North America.)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sometimes the puck bounces your way, and sometimes it doesn’t.
But it almost always seems that the team that is just playing better gets those “lucky” bounces.

Let’s go Panthers! Enough of the BS indecision and hesitancy that the Oilers are feasting on.
Go for it, instead of playing “safe” and in awe of the competition. Wake the funk up now! This shit the last two games isn’t close to good enough.
The Panthers were scary on the forecheck the second half of last game, the Oilers were having a hard time dealing with it. I think the Panthers were playing defensive minded worrying about opening up the ice the other way so they were playing more conservative as a result until the Tkachuk goal when their aggression went up tenfold.

Speak of Tkachuk , he was largely invisible all series before the goal then all of a sudden something was ignited in him that made him play possessed after that, I expected more of that from him in the series. He and Draisaitl (who is surely dealing with an injury) have been non-factors up until then. If he and the Panthers continue to play the way they did the second half of last game with ultra aggression, the Oilers are going to have a hard time getting the puck away from them but it could also lead to odd man breaks the other way when they do.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
Sucks that they will lock any poll threads.. I would love to see what % of HF thinks EDM will complete the reverse sweep. I’m guessing it would be close to half, if not an outright majority.

MoreDifferentS

I said consummate Flying V's!
May 1, 2021
Strong Badia
homestarrunner.com
What do you mean, "5 months"? It's about 6 weeks: early September to mid-October. Just deal with it. 100% overlap is still better than the finals in late June. This is a winter sport, for heaven's sake. :ha:

(By the way, no one cares about the NFL outside of North America. I couldn't tell you this year's, or any other year's, Superbowl winner if you killed me, because I have no idea and I couldn't care less. Nor could other people outside North America.)
The NFL season runs to the second Sunday in February, not October. Even the CFL runs until November.

No one caring about the NFL outside of North America is fairly irrelevant, since the NHL is focused on, surprisingly enough, North American markets.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

September, October, November, December, January = 5

Also who gives a rat's *ss about outside North America? Last time I checked the only real markets of consequence for the league and it's teams are Canada and the US aka North America.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Actually, you are the one being cocky. You are not giving your opponent any credit for good plays. It is all Panther missteps THAT ALLOW EDM to score.

FLA was in the Power Play and EDM scored a man down, there is no way that is all on FLA missteps. Because at the end of each play they had to beat the top G in the world, right? Even if FLA screwed up, Bob is all world. Nothing gets through him...
Well he's good, but nothing gets through him? Too generous.
Bob is better than Skinner but we're not talking Patrick Roy here.

Last edited:
Reactions: RMF5630

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
September, October, November, December, January = 5

You already have overlap for 3.5 months out of those 5, so adding 6 more weeks of overlap is no big deal. The regular season continues into April.

Globally speaking, the NFL is a marginal league in a marginal sport, and it's not good for the sport of hockey to be deferring to it in its scheduling. If only North Americans played in the NHL, that would be different, but a large proportion of the league's players and their fan bases is from outside North America, and we don't give a rat's *ss about the NFL, NBA, or MLB. These leagues are basically ignored by the rest of the world.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I just bought England vs. Slovenia EM (Euro Championship) tickets, and they were not cheap... when you can watch unique events, experience is worth more than money.

If you can afford to pay that much, you don't remember what you paid but that you went.

Some things are cool that way....and honestly my preference would be to see live. But the law of diminishing returns dictates I would be better off saving the money by and having friends over for a watch party. Especially when alcohol is involved lol

Reactions: SoupNazi

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

This is my favorite finals series of all time, actually the whole playoffs were the best playoffs I have ever seen. I followed Buffalo closely that year, really fun team with Afingenov, Drury etc.. Also the same year as the Umberger hit at center ice. Really fun year for hockey. I haven't seen a playoff from round 1 to the finals as exciting as that year in all my years of watching hockey.

Reactions: snag and dsi

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
I just saw something that made me laugh.

On StubHub, the cheapest tickets for Game 6 in Edmonton are going for $1,980 per ticket ($3,960 for two tickets), and these are seats way up near the ceiling.

The best view tickets are going for $16,800 per ticket ($33,600 for two tickets).

This isn't even a game that Edmonton can clinch the Stanley Cup!!!

Imagine how stupid some of these people are going to feel if they choose to pay these massive sums of money for a 2.5 hour hockey game and they end up watching Florida win the Stanley Cup?
Personally, I'd be happy to see the Cup ceremony whether or not my team won.

With that said, in no way am I ever considering paying that kind of price for a ticket.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
In the highly unlikely event Edmonton wins game 6, well, all of the pressure will be on Florida. They will be on the cusp of a collapse that would live on for decades to come.

BUT...I get the feeling Florida dominates Friday and wins rather easily. 5-1 or so. Barkov with two goals to take the CS trophy.

In the end, I think Edmonton's (McDavid) biggest regret will be not truly showing up before game 4. When you are in an 0-3 hole, you leave yourself zero room for mistakes.
well, none of your hot takes have come true yet so lets keep coping on

Reactions: voxel

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

You already have overlap for 3.5 months out of those 5, so adding 6 more weeks of overlap is no big deal. The regular season continues into April.

Globally speaking, the NFL is a marginal league in a marginal sport, and it's not good for the sport of hockey to be deferring to it in its scheduling. If only North Americans played in the NHL, that would be different, but a large proportion of the league's players and their fan bases is from outside North America, and we don't give a rat's *ss about the NFL, NBA, or MLB. These leagues are basically ignored by the rest of the world.
Europe does not make up a large proportion of the paying customers fan base for the NHL.

You hold basically zero sway over what decisions the league makes, you are not worth taking into account for them yet until you make it worthwhile for them. You are a drop in the bucket to the NHL's financial coffers.

Reactions: lextune

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Superbowl is in early Feb. The conference title games are at the end of January (last year they were on the 29th). They play the entire month of Jan, hence why its counted.

Even if thats the case, you still have Feb, March, April, May and half of June in theory. That's almost half the year.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
These finals are dragging it's crazy. Could finish this series 4 days before the draft.
McDavid was injured so they had an unprecedented week long layoff prior to the start to try & put the fix in for Edmonton. Coupled with these extended breaks between every game. I don't get how there isn't more outrage over this, I legitimately will not count it in my eyes if Edmonton "wins" the cup with all these shenanigans.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
McDavid was injured so they had an unprecedented week long layoff prior to the start to try & put the fix in for Edmonton. Coupled with these extended breaks between every game. I don't get how there isn't more outrage over this, I legitimately will not count it in my eyes if Edmonton "wins" the cup with all these shenanigans.
Agreed, not to mention McDavid’s secret PED exemption where they pump him full of Anavar and rocket fuel between games and the secret magnetic skate system he wears to dramatically increase his speed

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
Dang, I'll look for your name beside the asterisk in the NHL history book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad