SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Better safe than sorry, so they have him practice today? Mhmm sure.

If he’s not playing I’ll gladly retract my comment about it being gamesmanship. But if they’re actually worried about his health they wouldn’t be having him in practice on a travel day the day before a game.
As far as I can tell, they haven't been worried about his health since 24 hours after Game 2. There is no gamesmanship, it's just protocol they had to follow after hits like this.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I don’t disagree. It was a cheap shot. Just like the cheap shots Bennett has been throwing all playoffs, including in the very same game.

Draisaitl is lucky he didn’t get supplementary discipline.

Doesn’t change the fact that the day when discipline might come down, Barkov status is uncertain, and then the next day when nothing came of it he was fine.

Panthers milking it every chance they can. Good gamesmanship, but that’s exactly what it is.
What reasonable people would say is:

1) Barkov and Panthers didn’t want to get a flying elbow in the jaw. They didn’t ask to be put in that situation - they would have (obviously) preferred that nothing happened there. Therefore, during the initial period when the outcome of the situation is uncertain, Panthers will of course try to recover or otherwise make the most of it. Reasonable people would agree that, especially the first 12-24 hrs after the hit, it would not have been a shock if Barkov was going to miss game 3. It’s still not 100% certain that he’ll play. Therefore, and this may be an obvious point, but it matters whose fault the whole thing was. It was Drai/EDM at fault, and given how it unfolded, a 2-min minor was nowhere near enough punishment.

2) Now that Drai didn’t get anything else, Panthers can reasonably look at it and say, hey if you’re of a certain stature in the league - like maybe a Bennett or a Tkachuk or a Reinhart or an Ekblad - you might take a very heavy run at McD or Drai and perhaps take him out of the rest of game 3 and who knows, maybe even game 4, and maybe not get a suspension. That’s the door that was opened. I’m not saying they will or should, but what previously was a bit taboo, no longer is. And that’s all on Drai/EDM. They didn’t need to play that card, but they did, now if it’s played against them, oh well it’s hockey.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Because they were pretending he was on his deathbed to guilt the league into a suspension and he didn't even miss practice.
A. He didn’t practice yesterday.
B. No one has yet to offer why in the world the Panthers would remove its best player, who was owning “McDrai,” with 9+ minutes left in a 2-1 game.

People can’t really believe the Panthers ushered him off the ice, when the Oil had plenty of time left to tie it up and win, because in a moment’s notice they realized if they did…draisaitl would….i mean come on.

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022

1) Barkov and Panthers didn’t want to get a flying elbow in the jaw. They didn’t ask to be put in that situation - they would have (obviously) preferred that nothing happened there. Therefore, during the initial period when the outcome of the situation is uncertain, Panthers will of course try to recover or otherwise make the most of it. Reasonable people would agree that, especially the first 12-24 hrs after the hit, it would not have been a shock if Barkov was going to miss game 3. It’s still not 100% certain that he’ll play. Therefore, and this may be an obvious point, but it matters whose fault the whole thing was. It was Drai/EDM at fault, and given how it unfolded, a 2-min minor was nowhere near enough punishment.

2) Now that Drai didn’t get anything else, Panthers can reasonably look at it and say, hey if you’re of a certain stature in the league - like maybe a Bennett or a Tkachuk or a Reinhart or an Ekblad - you might take a very heavy run at McD or Drai and perhaps take him out of the rest of game 3 and who knows, maybe even game 4, and maybe not get a suspension. That’s the door that was opened. I’m not saying they will or should, but what previously was a bit taboo, no longer is. And that’s all on Drai/EDM. They didn’t need to play that card, but they did, now if it’s played against them, oh well it’s hockey.
FLA would prefer EDM getting out of the way and let FLA execute their offense. They are a much better team and the game is much safer if EDM would just take a knee

That way Barkov can use the boards safely.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

If he’s not playing I’ll gladly retract my comment about it being gamesmanship. But if they’re actually worried about his health they wouldn’t be having him in practice on a travel day the day before a game.

I think that's standard fare on how to handle potential concussions though, gradually increasing physical activity as long as no symptoms appear.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Lmao Sam Bennett threw a jumping check into Brobergs head at the start of the third.

Edmonton didn’t open any door. They just walked through it.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Lol he knew he wasn't gonna be able to hit Bouch, so he stuck his leg out to trip him. It wasn't a knee. The Foegele hit was a knee, thankfully Luosty saw it coming and dropped his leg so it got his thigh.
And went down like a lifeless body and stayed down and needed two people to help him off the ice only to come back like nothing happened.

Just like Barkov practicing with no visor and a regular contact jersey yesterday

Go down easy and act hurt and profit.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
B. No one has yet to offer why in the world the Panthers would remove its best player, who was owning “McDrai,” with 9+ minutes left in a 2-1 game.

People can’t really believe the Panthers ushered him off the ice, when the Oil had plenty of time left to tie it up and win, because in a moment’s notice they realized if they did…draisaitl would….i mean come on.
My guess is Barkov got sent to the quiet room by the concussion spotter. He couldn’t have come back even if he wanted to.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
If that is a “rear choke”, then every cross check, slash, hit, should be physical assault lol… this is insane that people are outraged at this. Maybe he applied too much force at the beginning, he obviously didn’t realize and let up when Bouchard let him know. There is such little room for injury in this play and clearly no intent that I’m flabbergasted people are offended with this. His intent is to restrain during a scrum. I know some will say intent doesn’t matter, think of the possible outcome and to that I say sure, if he’d held on for any length of time there’s potential for danger but that was nowhere near the case.

Give me any reason why this play is anything at all offensive or more dangerous than any other physical altercation in the nhl. How did it harm Bouchard? Was it anywhere within the realistic possibility of escalating from what it was? Is one person outraged that isn’t an oilers fan?
It’s not about “harm” for me … it’s about it being a bitch move. Grab a dude from behind to get him off the scrum or to look like you’re doing something? Okay cool. Guys do that a zillion times.

Grab a dude from behind but then actually exert force … is the bitch move.

IMO

Also people can be mildly offended .. I’m not starting threads or screaming about it.

Also also not an oiler fan. This isn’t a team specific opinion, hell I’ve seen my own team players do it

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
“Please get a map of Canada”

Cheers,
Vancouver (West of Edmonton)

jk

I live in Finland, all of which is further up north than any major city in Canada. if I hopped in a plane and flew the distance it takes for the Panthers to get to Vancouver, I could be in several interesting places, like Mongolia, Pakistan or somewhere in the middle of Sahara :D Would also make for an interesting hockey league.

IB

Aug 20, 2009
On another note. Tkachuk and Reinhart have been pretty bad. Not talking stats but lots of giveaways for two super intelligent players.

Panthers fans am I right? Any concerns?

Reactions: Neil Racki

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
On another note. Tkachuk and Reinhart have been pretty bad. Not talking stats but lots of giveaways for two super intelligent players.

Panther fans am I right? Any concerns?

I wouldn’t say pretty bad. Reinhart is always streaky and has been more defensive minded. Tkachuk is fine, just not dominating the series like he did last year. I would’ve expected a more integral role from him if Barkov missed time

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

Yeah. You're probably right. Maurice held him out of the end of last game because he must have placed a wager with Kane's bookie that McDavid would man up and score a goal

josra33

Aug 11, 2008

Well it doesn’t fit the narrative that the wonderful people of Edmonton have concocted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad