Sarnia Sting 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
Officiating in this game has not been good. Flint just got away with 3 blaintant cross checks in that final min and not 1 call.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Given themselves a chance in this one. Certainly not been their best. Reffing definitely been questionable to say the least.

Love them standing up for each other all day though. Including Karimov although that wasn't much of a fight lol.

Especially with Fischer out u love to see that.

Reactions: JAMER

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
A win is a win! Thank you Nick Surzcyia! 42/43 & 4/5 in the SO. That's the best goalie game this team has gotten honestly in a few years. He stole that game. Outstanding stuff.

Wainwright & Kostuch with some nasty SO goals. Di Iorio another PPG. Thought Young had a great game. Beat the hell out of Konyen, too. Karimov was really buzzing & got the final shift in regulation (nearly scored) & got two OT shifts finally.

4 fights. Sticking up for each other vs a big, mean Flint team & found a way to win. Thats 5/6 points vs Flint so far too. Huge win with their upcoming schedule & Fischer's injury.

Well that was ugly but they found a way to win. Easily are worst game of the year.
id argue the last game vs Flint was worse haha. Least today they generated they just didn't defend well. They didn't do anything well in that last game vs them. Somehow won both. Sorta evens out those games we should've won vs SAG/OSH.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Was a tough morning game , some guys still asleep at times. Thank god for Surzycia.
Liked to see different shooters in shootout and ended getting results needed. Maybe Letang read the board and took our advice. Lol
Kostuch 1/2 in shootouts this year, Wainwright 2/2 in shootouts and has an OT winner this year as well.
6-2-4 pretty damn good start

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Was a tough morning game , some guys still asleep at times. Thank god for Surzycia.
Liked to see different shooters in shootout and ended getting results needed. Maybe Letang read the board and took our advice. Lol
Kostuch 1/2 in shootouts this year, Wainwright 2/2 in shootouts and has an OT winner this year as well.
6-2-4 pretty damn good start
Certainly seems like he's woken up a bit. Karimov playing more even with him listed on L4. Kostuch playing more. Even at C which I thought was interesting. Maybe planning ahead for when 17/81 are gone. Both played in OT then 18 in the SO.

Been a much better start than I anticipated. Figured they'd take awhile to find their footing with so much youth, but it's been the opposite. Their young guys have stepped in immediately & been great.

I fear these next 10-15 games could be a struggle with Fischer out, 17/81 leaving & the level of opponents we play (+8 game road trip), but this team has found ways to keep games close all yr. Hopefully can keep doing it.

Reactions: stinger94 and JAMER

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
It's a separated shoulder for Fischer. It's at least good the initial expectation if 4 weeks. But with this you never know & it's also something that can be re-injured as we saw with Chychrun, Konecny & Dillingham.

Fingers crossed it is just 4 weeks & doesn't bother him after that. To important for this team..also wanna see him have a shot at making WJCs .

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
Maybe it’s just me but don’t you find it odd that no other team in the WHL wanted goalie Austin Elliott ?

Why didn’t Sarnia claim him off of waivers when it was their turn ?

They could have traded him for an asset just like Owen Sound did.

• Wow
Reactions: howler2

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Maybe it’s just me but don’t you find it odd that no other team in the WHL wanted goalie Austin Elliott ?

Barrie**

Idk league works in weird ways sometimes. Sarnia did it a few years ago to London funny enough.

Barrie likely would've been ahead of Sarnia in the waiver priority if it works like it does in pro sports.

Di Orios points in his first 6 games- 0/0/0/0/0/0

Last 6 games- 1/1/2/2/1/1

Pretty impressive how he is adjusting now

Wonder if he keeps it up. Any rookie with a 6 game point streak imo is amazing
Doesn't even account for his impressive 2way play. He's gonna be a pretty special player. As will Edwards. Been very fun to watch.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Surzycia stole us that one! He's been our MVP and has been stealing the team a lot of points early on this season. PP is turning into a positive all of a sudden. Five straight games with a goal on the man advantage (6/21, 28.6% in that stretch). Kostuch and Wainwright played good games today and have stepped up their play over the last little bit. Kostuch's hands are unreal! He absolutely walked Flint's d-men on two seperate instances in regulation and then compelety fooled Day on the SO winner. Wainwright has been this team's most noticeable player at 5v5 through 12 games. I think the Filak-Wainwright-Moses line has run it's course though. I agree with @stingwagoner that they need to get some more speed on Wainwright's line. I would love to see Kostuch-Wainwright-Karimov together.

Losing Fischer is going to be really tough for this team. They had a lot of problems getting the puck out of their zone today. You can tell the transition game is going to suffer with Andersen, Bodin, Bridgewater (at this point in his career not in general), and Hurt all not being great puck movers. I wouldn't mind seeing Omeri in there a little bit more to make up for Fischer's offensive absence. I believe Andersen will be gone for the last two this weekend because he fought in the final 5 minutes so Omeri will likely be in for those games at least. PK could be interesting without Andersen (presumabely) and Fischer on D this weekend.

Quite the fiesty game today. Can't recall the last time I saw a game with five fights. This is a true rivalvry that the they've got going with Flint. The players don't like each in the slightest. I love it! Makes for more entertaining hockey. Dare I say this rivalry is creeping toward London/Sarnia territory

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

It was Barrie who acquired him. I thought the same thing with the Petes but it would have complicated our overage situation even more. However because London was desperate to upgrade their goaltending situation. In this scenario with Peterborough holding two of the goaltenders they were interested in acquiring maybe we could have gotten at least a 4th from them.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Surzycia stole us that one! He's been our MVP and has been stealing the team a lot of points early on this season. PP is turning into a positive all of a sudden. Five straight games with a goal on the man advantage (6/21, 28.6% in that stretch). Kostuch and Wainwright played good games today and have stepped up their play over the last little bit. Kostuch's hands are unreal! He absolutely walked Flint's d-men on two seperate instances in regulation and then compelety fooled Day on the SO winner. Wainwright has been this team's most noticeable player at 5v5 through 12 games. I think the Filak-Wainwright-Moses line has run it's course though. I agree with @stingwagoner that they need to get some more speed on Wainwright's line. I would love to see Kostuch-Wainwright-Karimov together.

Losing Fischer is going to be really tough for this team. They had a lot of problems getting the puck out of their zone today. You can tell the transition game is going to suffer with Andersen, Bodin, Bridgewater (at this point in his career not in general), and Hurt all not being great puck movers. I wouldn't mind seeing Omeri in there a little bit more to make up for Fischer's offensive absence. I believe Andersen will be gone for the last two this weekend because he fought in the final 5 minutes so Omeri will likely be in for those games at least. PK could be interesting without Andersen (presumabely) and Fischer on D this weekend.

Quite the fiesty game today. Can't recall the last time I saw a game with five fights. This is a true rivalvry that the they've got going with Flint. The players don't like each in the slightest. I love it! Makes for more entertaining hockey. Dare I say this rivalry is creeping toward London/Sarnia territory
Would love Kostuch with Wainwright. Be a ton of speed. Agree it's ran it's course. It came up big & I still don't mind it as a trio late in games to up a goal. They've been checking well. But need more O 5on5.

Even reuniting Wainwright and Johnston could be good. Johnston did very well with him as his C, though I've liked how he fits with 23/17. I'm guessing they rock the same T9 until next weekend though when 17/81 leave.

What a stupid rule. I get it if it's an investigator or well after a whistle, but tie game & 2 guys decide to go during the play. Should be 0 suspension for it.

Let's be real this is a bigger rivalry than London because at least we win lol. Not to mention the games do seem to have a bit of bitterness to it compared to LDN which is just late game shenanigans most of the time.

What u said about our current D is why I'm anticipating a pretty bad record the next stretch. Fischer did so much but his ability to carry it up, make zone exits etc are gonna be massively missed & not really replaced. Saw alot of examples today of that & vs better teams it's gonna hurt them.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Been saying lines need to change for long time now but see how that goes. Doucette/ wainwright we need more offensively that's forsure.

As for D with Fischer out, Young will step up, but bodin barr hurt need to up their game alot defensively as well. Own end needs alot of shoring up from them all.

Hoping for big step ups for alot of players over the next 8 games.Hopefully we get franchesschetti back the end of next week we could use a shot in the arm!

Finally need some great goaltending this weekend to compete.

Last edited:
Reactions: SarniaStingFan

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
Sting fined $1000 dollars for having to many fights. But Flint gets nothing even though they started half of them.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
If u get a chance to rewatch the game u will see how ridiculous this is.
I didn't even know that was a rule for one. Not even sure how they counted the Karimov one as a fight as he didn't get his gloves off and no punches were thrown. Not even sure FLT guy did either.

Moses also didn't throw any punches & didn't take his gloves off. Konyen should've gotten an instigator (if Moses and Karimov did!) for fighting young immediately after he cross checked their other F.

Circus.

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
I didn't even know that was a rule for one. Not even sure how they counted the Karimov one as a fight as he didn't get his gloves off and no punches were thrown. Not even sure FLT guy did either.

Moses also didn't throw any punches & didn't take his gloves off. Konyen should've gotten an instigator (if Moses and Karimov did!) for fighting young immediately after he cross checked their other F.

Circus.
Ya I had no idea this was a rule either. But I wounder why a team like LDN hasn't been fined for this with all the fights they get into. Just doesn't make any sense.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
That's brutal from the league. There were only two mutual fights in that game. Colosimo/Luecke and Andersen/Thibodeau. As you've all already said Karimov/Collins wasn't even a fight and somehow Karimov got an instigator. Should be have just been a couple minors for roughing. Konyen goes after Young and doesn't called for an instigator. Moses didn't instigate the fight against Smith. Smith had his gloves off first. That leaves the Sting with two (max three if you count Karimov) non-instigated fights in the game. They really need to give a course to refs on what an instigator is because I swear half of them don't know anymore. It's brutal!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad