Sarnia Sting 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Things happen. Bound to score one of those times, can't keep not scoring odds say we were due. Wouldn't get excited at all with the way this pp is set up ans manned.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
First big road trip of the season & it's the northern one, which I feel like hasn't treated us to well the last few years. North Bay & Sudbury both off to solid starts sitting at 5-3-0 & tied for 3rd in the eastern conference.

Hoping they can split the 2 games & head into the Soo Sunday with a chance for a winning weekend. Hopefully that GWG PPG gives them some life on it & hopefully they can keep up the great work on the PK because NB&SBY each have a top 5 PP so far.

Reactions: Davis Boyer

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Not going to improve til our best offensive guys are on top pp.
Atleast let's put Wainwright on top unit coach, wake up! take him off pp all last 3 games? He still went 2gs 2As no pp time and his line was best line all 3 games. We need him leading the way in all aspects of offense including top PP
We also need a confident Doucette not on 3rd line Doucette he needs to play with wainwright to get him flying offensively too they seem to spark and jump when out together. We will struggle unless Doucette starts putting puck in net too.
Whatever is their obsession with moses getting 20 mins a game is beyond me but sure put moses on that line then
Drop filak to edwards and kostuch. Problem I see is player like moses (no offense, he had his best game in 2 years against flint) getting minutes either Doucette or Karimov should be getting.

StingUpdates agrees with the coach after a flint win but wants to hang him after Bulldog's and oshawa loses. and ridiculas pp stats.
To date coaching is the main issue, mostly with who letang is relying on as go to guys for pp1, and his lines can't have 1 line going, we really need to turn around. HOPEFULLY THIS NORTHERN SWING.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Same lines as Sunday except Fischer is listed on the 3rd pair with Barr & has a (?) next to him... So might be a game time decision. If he can't go that would be a massive blow to the backend. Massive. Hopefully he can go.

Edit: Fischer is out. Huge loss on D. Must be logging 25+ a game so far. Let's hope it's minor..losing him for any amount of time is killer. First big road trip is terrible timing too.

Last edited:

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Best defensive period of the year by far. They kept North Bay completely to the outside. We're going to miss Di Iorio and Edwards so much when they are off at the U17s. Beautiful bank pass by Di Iorio to Edwards on the PP for the first goal. Underrated part of that play was the beautiful stick lift by Ryan Brown. Both rookies made great plays in their own zone too. Edwards with the great breakup off the faceoff to get a few breakaway chances. Then Di Iorio with a great track back on Shamar Moses in the final minute

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Same lines as Sunday except Fischer is listed on the 3rd pair with Barr & has a (?) next to him... So might be a game time decision. If he can't go that would be a massive blow to the backend. Massive. Hopefully he can go.

Edit: Fischer is out. Huge loss on D. Must be logging 25+ a game so far. Let's hope it's minor..losing him for any amount of time is killer. First big road trip is terrible timing too.

Hope karimov doesn't head back home after comtinually getting 4th line minutes in his draft year when Letang plays di iorio brown Edward's like they are in their draft year.
8 games in and karimov playing 4 shifts a period, no real impactful minutes.
Hope we don't lose him by Christmas

Omeri sent to collingwood!
Sim not in again tonight?

Reactions: NBBFan

NBBFan

Nov 9, 2023
Hope karimov doesn't head back home after comtinually getting 4th line minutes in his draft year when Letang plays di iorio brown Edward's like they are in their draft year.
8 games in and karimov playing 4 shifts a period, no real impactful minutes.
Hope we don't lose him by Christmas

Omeri sent to collingwood!
Sim not in again tonight?
That’s exactly what he will probably do. Sad. The minutes those 3 16 year olds play is ridiculous. Letang needs to give his head a shake.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
That’s exactly what he will probably do. Sad. The minutes those 3 16 year olds play is ridiculous. Letang needs to give his head a shake.

He has played his OAs like crazy last 2 years and now he goes reverse seniorityfor his icetime. Not sure he has a clue. We will see how it all plays out because if I was 19 or 20 I'd be asking for a trade.

NBBFan

Nov 9, 2023
He has played his OAs like crazy last 2 years and now he goes reverse seniorityfor his icetime. Not sure he has a clue. We will see how it all plays out because if I was 19 or 20 I'd be asking for a trade.
Right. It’s truly odd considering the draft year players are some of their best. Yet little ice time. Every other team plays the crap out of their top draft year players. Letang is now messing with these kids futures.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Gonna have to re watch the game later as I missed it, but great way to start the trip! Surzycia 37/38 & made some great saves late from what I saw.

Not one, but TWO PPGs!!! It's come up big the last 2 games. Switching up the units has got it going it appears.

Helluva effort without Fischer.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Had to do a double take to much sure I wasn't on the Spitfires thread from the last few seasons with this never ending negativity! Team just played a helluva road game without their captain vs a solid team to move into 3rd in the conference & only two points out of 1st! With the 2nd youngest team in the league. Di Iorio & Edwards (especially Beckham) look phenomenal & deserve the ice time they are getting. Their biggest worry (goalie) has been anything but. Best PK in the league. Vets have been good.

And you'd have NO idea reading the thread You'd think they've been getting smoked.. He changes the PP units Sunday & now its scored 3 big goals (2 of them GWGs) & it's still being complained about. I love Wainwright, I was saying he should be our Captain for over a year, but he isn't a good PP guy. He's an off the rush scorer/offensive player. He isn't a great passer & doesn't have a big shot. Could he be on the 2nd unit? Sure, but I'm perfectly fine with giving that time to Johnston who's got better vision/shot or the young guys like Di Iorio, Edwards (who each got 2 PP Points tonight), Brown or Filak who's better out front.

Last yr it was "Letang is an idiot he keeps playing their vets too much & the kids not enough" & now it's "Letang is an idiot he's playing the kids too much!!" like c'mon. Trust me I hate Karimov on line 4, but this top line has been legitimately good since forming. Moses has been flying out there & making stuff happen. Karimov has been looking better & more comfortable & once he gets elevated in the lineup he'll do good things for us, but he very clearly has things to clean up to be trusted to play big minutes. I know you have some ties with Kostuch @NBBFan but gotta be fair here. He missed all of camp with an illness. Didn't get any games in. So he is starting behind the 8 ball immediately just for missing camp let alone mixing in an illness that took him off the ice. As for the PP id like him on it, but I honestly don't mind the guys deployed on it (Johnston, Filak, Di Iorio, Edwards, Doucette, Brown, Fischer, Barr, Young & Karimov has been on PP2 lately.). Bodin who isn't always on it is one id definitely wanna see Kostuch over when he is.

Letang played him a lot last yr. He likes him as shown by having him out in the final minute tonight. It also shows a coach trusts you by pairing you with a rookie C in Edwards & they've been very good together. He's a massive part of this team moving forward and as the yr goes on I bet he gets more and more ice time as he gets fully back in form.

The team has points in 6of7. Sitting 3rd in the conference, 2 out of 1st. Frankly should be 6-2-1 if not for some brutal choke jobs. The coaching definitely hasn't been perfect. I have said as much too. They adjusted the PP thankfully. Karimov while on L4 is definitely getting more shifts than Luecke/Chamberlain & has seen extra shifts with with the top 2 lines at times. Those are good signs they see what we see. Wanna see him more play more, but I can see why they are taking it slow with him.

We should be happy this extremely young team has been playing some good hockey to start the year. Not tearing down every single decision.

Rant = Over. Lol.

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
Had to do a double take to much sure I wasn't on the Spitfires thread from the last few seasons with this never ending negativity! Team just played a helluva road game without their captain vs a solid team to move into 3rd in the conference & only two points out of 1st! With the 2nd youngest team in the league. Di Iorio & Edwards (especially Beckham) look phenomenal & deserve the ice time they are getting. Their biggest worry (goalie) has been anything but. Best PK in the league. Vets have been good.

And you'd have NO idea reading the thread You'd think they've been getting smoked.. He changes the PP units Sunday & now its scored 3 big goals (2 of them GWGs) & it's still being complained about. I love Wainwright, I was saying he should be our Captain for over a year, but he isn't a good PP guy. He's an off the rush scorer/offensive player. He isn't a great passer & doesn't have a big shot. Could he be on the 2nd unit? Sure, but I'm perfectly fine with giving that time to Johnston who's got better vision/shot or the young guys like Di Iorio, Edwards (who each got 2 PP Points tonight), Brown or Filak who's better out front.

Last yr it was "Letang is an idiot he keeps playing their vets too much & the kids not enough" & now it's "Letang is an idiot he's playing the kids too much!!" like c'mon. Trust me I hate Karimov on line 4, but this top line has been legitimately good since forming. Moses has been flying out there & making stuff happen. Karimov has been looking better & more comfortable & once he gets elevated in the lineup he'll do good things for us, but he very clearly has things to clean up to be trusted to play big minutes. I know you have some ties with Kostuch @NBBFan but gotta be fair here. He missed all of camp with an illness. Didn't get any games in. So he is starting behind the 8 ball immediately just for missing camp let alone mixing in an illness that took him off the ice. As for the PP id like him on it, but I honestly don't mind the guys deployed on it (Johnston, Filak, Di Iorio, Edwards, Doucette, Brown, Fischer, Barr, Young & Karimov has been on PP2 lately.). Bodin who isn't always on it is one id definitely wanna see Kostuch over when he is.

Letang played him a lot last yr. He likes him as shown by having him out in the final minute tonight. It also shows a coach trusts you by pairing you with a rookie C in Edwards & they've been very good together. He's a massive part of this team moving forward and as the yr goes on I bet he gets more and more ice time as he gets fully back in form.

The team has points in 6of7. Sitting 3rd in the conference, 2 out of 1st. Frankly should be 6-2-1 if not for some brutal choke jobs. The coaching definitely hasn't been perfect. I have said as much too. They adjusted the PP thankfully. Karimov while on L4 is definitely getting more shifts than Luecke/Chamberlain & has seen extra shifts with with the top 2 lines at times. Those are good signs they see what we see. Wanna see him more play more, but I can see why they are taking it slow with him.

We should be happy this extremely young team has been playing some good hockey to start the year. Not tearing down every single decision.

Rant = Over. Lol.
I agree with all of that. I'd just like to see Wainwright on the PP as 1 of our top guys. U ever thought of writing books LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: StingUpdates

NBBFan

Nov 9, 2023

Rant = Over. Lol.
It was a heck of a game. I agree. No ties to Kostuch besides my son being his biggest fan. We are North Bay ticket holders and the very first game he played, he signed my son’s jersey and had a 2 minute conversation with him. My kid was over the moon. I’ve been a fan of him since. Half the NB players don’t take the time to chat, heck most of them don’t even look at the kids. Always thought he was a great player but had little chance in NB on the 4th line. Hated when he was traded to Sarnia, but wanted to continue to follow is progression with a new opportunity. Figured his performance last year would earn him some respect by the coaches. Doesn’t really seem that way if I’m being honest.

Just bothersome to see talent go to waste. But I’m seeing the same thing with Karimov. Wainright, etc though it’s more concerning with Karimov considering he moved across the globe to be here and it’s his draft year with months to impress. He looked good tonight when he was on.

I won’t go on about Di Lorio, Brown, Edwards, because I am happy to see them producing but they are friggin 16 and play top Veteran minutes. Brown was on for nearly 3 minutes of the 4 minute PP tonight. He was dog tired but wouldn’t come off. Di Lorio didn’t have a single point in 6 games yet he plays 30 min a game. He has the whole season. I like Edwards but he cannot pass. He’s a goal scorer. Then we have Filak and Johnson (someone with maybe 50 OHL games total), playing the PP and getting top minutes. They have Moses a scratchable player, playing on the first veteran line? I’m happy Sarina won (I have become a fan) but something isn’t sitting right with me with Letang playing his draft year players like they are 4th line alternatives. I don’t buy the illness and missing camp stuff for Kostuch. Whatever he had, he’s over it and clearly was putting up points the first several games until he was demoted to 3 line minutes and no PP or OT play. It doesn’t add up to me.

Wainwright should be leading the first PP not Di Lorio. Filak shouldn’t touch the ice during a PP.

I don’t think I’m the only one who is questioning what Letang is doing. But I’ll
Shut up. Not trying to stir the pot just see a lot of holes in this team that seem to be on the part of management, not the players.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Definitely not the prettiest game in the world but they got it done. Surzycia was excellent stopping 37/38. It's so nice to have a trusted veteran goalie that can help calm this young team down. First period was excellent but they really struggled with NB's forecheck in 2nd and 3rd. They found a way to win getting two PP goals. I liked to see that they had Barr up on the second PP unit. Hopefully that continues even when Fischer comes back. They don't get that victory without Di Iorio & Edwards. I was epcially impressed with Di Iorio who was backchecking hard all game and got primary assists on both PP goals. You can see his confidence building offensively. He showed no hesitation letting his shot rip. Bridgewater played the best game that I've seen him play. He's still rushing when he's moving the puck in his own end which needs to be cleaned up but I thought he was really solid defensively. I loved to see the hustle when it was 6v5 in the final minute. Nice blocks by Young and Hurt. Filak made a nice hustle play at the line to get a puck out. Then Wainwright with the diving poke to get Moses the easy empty netter. That's winning hockey. Let's try to make it three in a row tomorrow in Sudbury

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
It was a heck of a game. I agree. No ties to Kostuch besides my son being his biggest fan. We are North Bay ticket holders and the very first game he played, he signed my son’s jersey and had a 2 minute conversation with him. My kid was over the moon. I’ve been a fan of him since. Half the NB players don’t take the time to chat, heck most of them don’t even look at the kids. Always thought he was a great player but had little chance in NB on the 4th line. Hated when he was traded to Sarnia, but wanted to continue to follow is progression with a new opportunity. Figured his performance last year would earn him some respect by the coaches. Doesn’t really seem that way if I’m being honest.

Just bothersome to see talent go to waste. But I’m seeing the same thing with Karimov. Wainright, etc though it’s more concerning with Karimov considering he moved across the globe to be here and it’s his draft year with months to impress. He looked good tonight when he was on.

I won’t go on about Di Lorio, Brown, Edwards, because I am happy to see them producing but they are friggin 16 and play top Veteran minutes. Brown was on for nearly 3 minutes of the 4 minute PP tonight. He was dog tired but wouldn’t come off. Di Lorio didn’t have a single point in 6 games yet he plays 30 min a game. He has the whole season. I like Edwards but he cannot pass. He’s a goal scorer. Then we have Filak and Johnson (someone with maybe 50 OHL games total), playing the PP and getting top minutes. They have Moses a scratchable player, playing on the first veteran line? I’m happy Sarina won (I have become a fan) but something isn’t sitting right with me with Letang playing his draft year players like they are 4th line alternatives. I don’t buy the illness and missing camp stuff for Kostuch. Whatever he had, he’s over it and clearly was putting up points the first several games until he was demoted to 3 line minutes and no PP or OT play. It doesn’t add up to me.

Wainwright should be leading the first PP not Di Lorio. Filak shouldn’t touch the ice during a PP.

I don’t think I’m the only one who is questioning what Letang is doing. But I’ll
Shut up. Not trying to stir the pot just see a lot of holes in this team that seem to be on the part of management, not the players.
Ahh I see. He's a great kid from everything ive heard as well. He's still in the top-9 & plays consistently. Agree on OT. Letang has always been iffy at best with 3on3 deployment. He'd be good at it. As I said I just think they are taking it slow with Karimov. He has a lot of bad MHL habits he needs to lose to play big minutes, especially in tight games. If by mid-late November he's line 4 then we'll have serious issues. Edwards is definitely more of a scorer than passer, but saying he can't pass I feel is a touch extreme. Di Iorio might not of been scoring but he was playing a great 2way game & winning big draws. Now the offence is coming for him.

Filak is a good net front PP guy. Much better at that then Wainwright would be. Johnston might have little experience but he's clearly got good skills & is a better PP player IMO than Wainwright. But fair to disagree. Definitely not the only one questioning it. I think everyone on the board had/is.

Just a bit of a vibe kill to be happy about a good team win then hop on here & it's all negative.

Your Troops are clearly much better than anticipated. Look like a fun group & that Moses trade was really good work I thought. Got a good Management/Coach group over there.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Re watched the first 45-50 that I missed. Overall a solid road win.

- Surzcyia has once again gotten off to a really strong start. Last yr he did this then really fell off. Hope he can keep it up cause he's been awesome. Up to a .905 Sv%

- Bodin/Hurt looked like a good pair. Really strong work down low & out front (except that PPG went off Hurt which sucks so much for Surzcyia). Hurt is just so damn reliable for a young guy. Always impressed.

- Young/Bridgewater were really solid. as @SarniaStingFan said, Bridgewater had maybe his best game to date. I think they are doing a lot of work with him defensively & it has been showing. Just has to move it quicker sometimes.

- I hated putting Moses line 1 & it wont last I don't think, but gotta love the effort those 3 are bringing. Feels like they are winning every battle & sacrificing the body + scoring. What u want from your vet line.

- Love to see Di Iorio putting up points now. He looks even more dangerous since scoring. Really letting his shot go. His 2way play/effort is seriously impressive though. I haven't seen many 16 yr old as committed and strong in the DZ as he is.

- Feels like a dream seeing the PP score not once, but twice!! lol. The puck movement looks drastically better. More urgency. Units are meshing way better. Look what having one does. Gets ya back to back game winning goals! For the love of god keep Barr on it.

- Edwards sure does have a nose for the net. Feels like all his goals going back to pre season have come out front. Great sign for a rookie. 2nd in rookie points & 1st in rookie goals! We sure are gonna miss him & ADI during the U17s.. They are our 2C&3C & play big minutes for rookies/

Ensured at least a split with NB/SBY, but let's see if they can take both! Imagine Maillet starts, hopefully he can have a bounce back effort.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
StingUpdates your not seeing the bigger picture. Players are going to leave, then this future you talk about will be de-railed as fast as the glimmer shines. Every other team plays the crap out of their Draft eligible guys showcase them and take pride in what they have helped develop. Don't see it here except fischer last year but he was gettin drafted regardless how much he played.

Karimov could leave at anytime and go play KHL and up his draft status by the way this looks for him. That's all I'm saying he came for N.A style of hockey but not playing 3 option roles.

As for wainwright, come on, he is this team's real Captain we all know that, not by letter but by everything he does for this team, he is one of the best passers, receiving and giving and playmaker this team has, underrated shot and has been part of this team for a 4th year now. He is proven scorer since came up just not ever used on pp or numbers could be alot higher. Not sure why any knocks on him would come from you. Not sure when respect and seniority kicks in plus time to showcase him. Injury last year really hurt his season for looks plus coaches didn't help much either parking him with brown on 3rd line most of year. His play this year seems best yet and not using him pp1 is a slap to everything he has done here but with confidence comes everything else. One of top 3 faceoff guys and centerman in league lose him we fall back a tonne this year. Playing him with 2 legitimate 3rd line guys is another kick in the butt to him (after taking his fulltime "A" away for a PT "A" when he should have been this teams "C"), tell me how playing him with filak and moses tells him he is tip line guy but playing him with a glorified 3rd line while doucette down the line up who is perfect mesh, i see his patience with staff wearing thin same with doucette for that matter in his last year should be getting top offensive linemates not helping younger guys get up to speed at some point need to help showcase him to move on. Hate to think letang lumping wainwright in with a filak type player when clearly he is our top player IMO and needs more offensive support to really turn a new corner offensively

Kostuch doesn't deserve to be second fiddle because of illness/ injuries whatever he has done this year he still earned alot more respect than he is getting and losing confidence game by game Starting to show.
I'm not saying he should be top line but should get pp over Johnston who has earned nothing in the years in this league and gets everything because london had him ( has your praise as well) but london saw his true value and couldn't wait to dump him after pre season for nothing really.
Confused with this.

I have been big fan in Sarnia since I started watching about 10 years ago, loved jordan Kyrou and became a fan thats why my favorite player is Wainwright as he reminds me of jordan quite a bit. I just don't want to see this blow up before blossoming and making a legitimate run but don't see that happening with this staff due to issues like pp, playing 16 year olds a tonne and not having respect and clear pecking order to team values, this might come back to haunt us. Sure we all complained about Way (mostly me) last year on the pp and 2nd line etc but it's a seniority league we accepted some things but how things but to go to the opposite now is by bypassing the earn your ice development phase. Some players have 9 games played in their career let's pump the brakes quite a bit here.

I hope I'm totally wrong about karimov, want to see him stay here and making impact top 6

Not being negative being concerned, huge difference while being positive is one thing, being logic is another. You can wear the Raw Raw hat
StingUpdates but at end of day we were good out of gate last year then what happened? Lets not have a repeat.

Last edited:

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Being this is a discussion board all concerns should be welcome.
I appreciate different takes/ opinions of hockey, everyone see different things.
NBBFan thanks for your Input and concern, it is welcome and noted by me I agree to alot of what you said.
Still concerned fan!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad