Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Sting lines tonight @ Windsor

Sim-Filak-Doherty
Brown-Di Iorio-Luecke
Wainwright-Edwards-Hall
Franceschetti-Chamberlain-Moses
Gaughan

Young-Bodin
Bridgewater-Omeri
Andersen-Barr

Chartier starts

Love keeping Brown/Di Iorio together. Franceschetti & Moses could be 2/3 of such a fun 4th line that just loves to hit & create chaos. Can't say I love the other lines, but pre season so whatever.

Karimov, Kostuch, Doucette, Lominac, Fischer, Hurt, Surzycia not

when that trial is going to end for filak trying to be a centerman?
Its pre season I'm sure filak will find himself 3rd line winger!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Its pre season I'm sure filak will find himself 3rd line winger!
I mean he was pretty much a 50% face off guy last yr & he battles defensively, does good down low & out front. Certainly not an elite C, but he's fine. I would prefer him at wing over Wainwright tho, that's for sure because don't wanna move Di Iorio or Edwards to wing.

See what the lines are when they have a full lineup, hopefully opening night.

Reactions: JAMER

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
It is pre season, think Letang and Dylan more worried ans interested in cutting roster down to lean numbers ans get all guys here.
Hate to see young centerman have their offense affected from changing gameboy play Letangs D style. Hope Dilorio and Edward's can adapt and maintain offensive flare

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Not the best first Game, but that's what pre season is for. Windsor's big boys up front took it to them a bit. Chartier 19/22, Maillet 14/17.

Sim, Franceschetti & Di Iorio the goals. 2PPG but also 2 SHG against. On to tomorrow vs Flint. See who's in/out of the lineup.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Was at game tonight and it wasn't as bad as stats showed. Game showed some guys not up to speed and will take time, showed line combos make huge difference in movement and cohesion on ice. And defensive play by more than half is lacking D zone responsibility needs alot of work.
James Barr had tough one to start but it's his 1st game since last January. If we play diorio and brown as much as letang did tonight we will be in tough this year but it's really early and alot of players missing from lineup that make impact.
On a bright note Bodin is solid and was best D by far.
Franchesschetti scores in 1st game and played gritty all the way to the buzzer laid some boomers as well., wished moses would play that way too. Goalie made some really solid saves and congrats Sim for getting 1 tonight might help him stay a few more games.
I know it's really early but was hoping for a better start hopefully tomorrow.

Let's hope for better effort tomorrow

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Was at game tonight and it wasn't as bad as stats showed. Game showed some guys not up to speed and will take time, showed line combos make huge difference in movement and cohesion on ice. And defensive play by more than half is lacking D zone responsibility needs alot of work.
James Barr had tough one to start but it's his 1st game since last January. If we play diorio and brown as much as letang did tonight we will be in tough this year but it's really early and alot of players missing from lineup that make impact.
On a bright note Bodin is solid and was best D by far.
Franchesschetti scores in 1st game and played gritty all the way to the buzzer laid some boomers as well., wished moses would play that way too. Goalie made some really solid saves and congrats Sim for getting 1 tonight might help him stay a few more games.
I know it's really early but was hoping for a better start hopefully tomorrow.

Let's hope for better effort tomorrow
Thanks for the insight about the game! Eh last year we complained he wasn't playing the young guys enough, haha! But I wouldn't be to worried. Once Kostuch, Karimov, Doucette are in our top-9 should be a lot stronger/more balanced.

Think we (myself especially) gotta remember this team is gonna be one of the youngest teams in the conference again this year. Their upside for next year & the year after is very exciting, but there are gonna be many bumps & learning lessons for them this year, especially in the early going.

on a night to night basis they are gonna have up to 10-11 16/17 year olds in their lineup & some of their 18 year olds are only in their 2nd season (Lominac, Doherty, Chartier.) Still think they'll be in most games & battle for 6th/7th, but itll be a process.

Reactions: honeydripper

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Lines for tonight v Flint
Brown-Di Iorio-Doucette
Sim-Edwards-Filak
Franceschetti-Wainwright-Doherty
Luecke-Gaughan-Hall

Fischer-Bodin
Young-Barr
Bridgewater-Omeri

Maillet starts & I assume like yesterday he swaps out for Chartier at 30mins.

Three 16 yr old C is fun. love that top line. Be nice to see Maillet/Chartier bounce back with a good outing & would like to see Doherty do some things tonight. been a quiet camp for him.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Totally confused with all this? This is a older league and running 3 -16 year old centerman is pre season trials, I get it and we have to cut roster down and want to see what we have, but we won't compete this season like that. We need experience and defensive reliability in middle It's not a skill knock, it's a strength/ experience and reality statement.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Early, very early just hoping we are in different situation than at end of last season. Need our vets to take us in different direction.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Totally confused with all this? This is a older league and running 3 -16 year old centerman is pre season trials, I get it and we have to cut roster down and want to see what we have, but we won't compete this season like that. We need experience and defensive reliability in middle It's not a skill knock, it's a strength/ experience and reality statement.
It's pre season... This is the exact time to do this lol. Get the rookies good ice time vs OHLers in games that don't matter to get up to speed & get comfortable faster.

Pretty obvious once the season starts Wainwright will be 1C, Filak 2C or 3C. Once again this team has extreme youth. They only have three veteran Fs in the top 9 & they'll all play a ton once it matters.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
since their timeline isn’t this year and it’s only pre season I think they’re doing this to see how they fare if hypothetically speaking some other guys that would be playing in the middle get injured. If they do well- they have good replacements in the middle. I know Troy Mann on Kingston liked having lots of centres for draws.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Just hoping decisions get made on who to trim down asap.
Unfortunately with Karimov & Kostuch unavailable all pre season it makes it tough. They might have to keep an extra F or two if they are slated to miss any regular season time.

They don't play for 10 days after tonight, so could see a player or two moved/let go between now & then.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Really no rush, just feel bad for the boys they can count so know someone or more than 1 are going

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Back end looks rough 2 on 1s wow

notes Doherty stock dropping for me just no where near making a play just looks behind.
Sim having a solid game hands and brain good Feet not so good. He might just stay over others.
Edward's showing on PP good to see.
Wainwright's speed is wicked tonight.
Bodin our Best D again tonight fischer close second.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
For pre season that was pretty dang fun! Good resilience from the boys coming back from 3-1. Flint dressed many rookie Fs, but on D they dressed guys who are really gonna eat minutes for them & Day in net. It's a big mean group on D, too so it's nice to see a young group not back down & come back against them.

Edwards is a stud. He is just so smart & smooth out there. Letang is absolutely gonna love having him the next few years lol. He's gonna eat huge minutes & he a big time player for us.

Di Iorio absolutely sniped the 2nd goal too. What a shot he has for a rookie. For both him & Edwards to beat an NHL drafted goalie clean is very nice to see. Brown was really buzzing tonight & got rewarded with tying goal. Should've got an assist but they credited Chamberlain (who didn't play lol)

Sim was fantastic. Kid is battling his tail off. Love to see that. Bodin is a tank lmao. 6'5" OA Dman smith tried to line him up and bodin sent him flying. He dummied Mania another vet Dman late in the 3rd. Bridgewater after a horrific play on FLTs 3rd goal really bounced back. Strong 2nd & 3rd. Love Franceschetti lol. Kid is relentless all over the ice & after whistles haha. Never stops being a pest.

Maillet decent showing. 1st goal only one he really had a chance on & it was a 2on1 vs an NHL pick. 5/5 in shootout where he looked great.

Now 10 days off to tighten things up a bit defensively & maybe make some roster decisions.

Last edited:

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
Well after these first 2 pre season games. My cuts as of now would be Hall, Doherty and Filak.

Also if I where Surzycia. I might be a little worried about losing my job after watching Maillet. When ever Surzycia plays he may have to put on a show to keep his job.

On another note anyone know why Lominac never dressed in either game.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Also, 3000 in attendance for pre season & a solid atmosphere. Seems like might be another solid season for attendance which is great to see.

This team will be a fun one to watch grow

After a mostly quiet game for Doucette scored a beauty in Shoot out to secure win but mailett was the SO story unbeatable especially when 4/5 flint shooters were NHL picks good for him. With Surzycia and now mailett and chartier we are going to be solid in the pipes alot of games.

I'm sure things will be worked on especially on D the side

Good for the boys showing a response when they needed to. After a very flat period 1 game tilted in our favour.

I agree with Doherty don't see any compete or good decisions or even him making an impact on forecheck. Looks disinterested as well, I'd give him 3 more games and deal him, I'd say keep filak after last night we need him centering the 3rd line on a checking grit role and on pk.
He is good role player just hope letang uses him for that and not play crap out of him just because he is OA like last years guys.

Hall, I think is ahead of Gaughan, Chamberlain.
Not sure what happens there and sim has grown on me but I still see him struggling just purely with speed. Good hockey IQ helps him.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Doherty definitely been the biggest disappointment thus far. Finished strong last yr was really hoping he'd build off it. Just haven't seen that. He was battling an illness so I'll cut him slack this weekend. See how he looks the next few games, but if he shows no improvements he definitely might be losing a spot on this team.

It's interesting how they are handling the goaltending. I'm sorta taking it they have Surzycia as their #1 & they are letting the other 2 battle to be backup/split starts. U don't tend to sit the vet to get a better look at the younger guys if you aren't gonna do it that way. I'd say let all 3 battle & if Chartier/Maillet are as good/close/better then u run with them.

Hall I think is as good as gone. Just doesn't have the foot speed they want to play with. Plays hard & likes to be physical but other areas haven't come along for him unfortunately.

Mighty interesting Lominac sat both games. Saw him yesterday & didn't appear to have any injury & he played well in camp. My guess is he's gone. Which I don't hate, but I also disagree with not playing him when he had a great camp.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Doherty definitely been the biggest disappointment thus far. Finished strong last yr was really hoping he'd build off it. Just haven't seen that. He was battling an illness so I'll cut him slack this weekend. See how he looks the next few games, but if he shows no improvements he definitely might be losing a spot on this team.

It's interesting how they are handling the goaltending. I'm sorta taking it they have Surzycia as their #1 & they are letting the other 2 battle to be backup/split starts. U don't tend to sit the vet to get a better look at the younger guys if you aren't gonna do it that way. I'd say let all 3 battle & if Chartier/Maillet are as good/close/better then u run with them.

Hall I think is as good as gone. Just doesn't have the foot speed they want to play with. Plays hard & likes to be physical but other areas haven't come along for him unfortunately.

Mighty interesting Lominac sat both games. Saw him yesterday & didn't appear to have any injury & he played well in camp. My guess is he's gone. Which I don't hate, but I also disagree with not playing him when he had a great camp.
Thoughts on Lominac was he had a great camp and moved up over hall and doherty etc He will play next game I'm sure.
And I saw doherty after game and he didn't look happy see where that goes
Think he is on trade block just hate to give him away for nothing.

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019

Another way to look at the goalie situation is. Maybe they've already considered moving Surzycia. But maybe they wanna see how Maillet and Chartier do before they do move Surzycia.

Also I'm kinda hoping they keep Lominac over Hall and Doherty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad