Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Cali and Hawery but they could both be in the OHL next year. Haven't seen anything definitive about either of them jumping ship.
hawery thought he was going 1, when it was obvious he was not, all of a sudden he had ncaa interest. still not sure what the situation is there.

cali is legit, his mom was a very good ncaa player and he wanted to go that route in sept. i heard he was more ohl in january/february but i never really did any due dilligence.

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
Edwards signs with sting!?

Absolutely incredible!!

Men this team is going to be fun to watch the next few years.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016

Absolutely incredible!!

holy absolute shlt ....... We finally snagged one... This team will be an absolute force in the coming years. This must be what's its like to be a LDN fan every year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
its amazing, to this point who is left that didnt come this year? malhotra, hyman, and kawajah? most of the ones who are going to the bchl are guys who thought theyd be top 20 picks and found out that they were not even 2nd round picks after its all said and done. and where not going to be in the ohl this year anyways.

Stingupdates messaged me this weekend and said it was happening, he called it.

More players would report if there were 200 gold packages rather than the 140 available, I believe. Of course tickets price would rise substantially.
For every Valentini good enough for Chicago Steel and Michigan, there are a couple of players like the colts high 2nd Bowen and firebirds 2nd Allen last season that cannot be offered a gold package without limiting what there clubs could acquire in the near future.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
I'm guessing a big reason that Edwards decided to sign was pressure from Hockey Canada. No coincidence the timing of the signing coming after the u17s where guys like Kwajah and Malholtra and Nyman were not included. HC likely helped Seca get this done

Reactions: stinger94

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
I'm guessing a big reason that Edwards decided to sign was pressure from Hockey Canada. No coincidence the timing of the signing coming after the u17s where guys like Kwajah and Malholtra and Nyman were not included. HC likely helped Seca get this done
Kwajah was at the camp, along with the other USHL guys (Valentini, Croskery, etc).

Reactions: HolyRoller

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
LETS GOOO!!!! What a F*cking HUGE signing. A projected top 15/10 pick. A big, strong, powerful skating elite scoring C.

Now our top 2 C's the next 4 years will be Di Iorio - Edwards. That's gonna be a nightmare for teams.

And now we have Brown, Kostuch, Karimov, Di Iorio, Edwards as 5 big pieces to build around up front that are 16 & 17 with what we hope is gonna be an awesome Dcore.

What a goddamn huge signing. What fricken work from Seca & Co. They even thought it would be a longshot year one. Tells u this program has taken a good step.

Get me to September already. These next 3 years are gonna be a blast.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Now all that's really left is goalie. Definitely wanna go into the yr & see what Chartier/Maillet are first, but if they aren't looking like legitimately solid goalies gotta think Seca starts looking around for U18 goalies.

Wouldn't be cheap, but a good U18 goalie would take this young core to another level.

Can't believe how fast they've turned it around. I thought we were doomed after 2023 playoffs lmao. Now we should be setup for an OK but fun season, a really solid/good season with multiple kids drafted to NHL & a great season where we go for it, or they could try for B2B big years in years 2&3 if the U17s progress really well.

We've never been set up for 3 solid seasons in a row as sad as that is. Gets me so excited.

Reactions: JAMER

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London

Absolutely incredible!!

Congrats Sting fans! I’m glad you guys were able to pull in a huge fish! Well done!

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Now all that's really left is goalie. Definitely wanna go into the yr & see what Chartier/Maillet are first, but if they aren't looking like legitimately solid goalies gotta think Seca starts looking around for U18 goalies.

Wouldn't be cheap, but a good U18 goalie would take this young core to another level.

Can't believe how fast they've turned it around. I thought we were doomed after 2023 playoffs lmao. Now we should be setup for an OK but fun season, a really solid/good season with multiple kids drafted to NHL & a great season where we go for it, or they could try for B2B big years in years 2&3 if the U17s progress really well.

We've never been set up for 3 solid seasons in a row as sad as that is. Gets me so excited.
Probably draft a goalie early next year that’s my guess. Forwards are pretty solid- probably a d with your first rounder and pick a goalie in round 2/3

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
In my personal opinion we can thank Legwand....it's no coincidence he runs Little Caesars, where Edwards played.... and owns the Sting. Fingers crossed he can pull a couple more over.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
In my personal opinion we can thank Legwand....it's no coincidence he runs Little Caesars, where Edwards played.... and owns the Sting. Fingers crossed he can pull a couple more over.
We've been saying it. Sarnia is slowly but surely becoming a good place to play for these kids. Border city which helps with Americans. Arena has improved dramatically. Attendance the same. Dressing room drastically upgraded.

Long time NHL player as owner. NHL players as both assistant coaches. Letang multiple time team Canada coach/assistant. If your a player who's goal is to play in the NHL that's awfully nice to have around you. Obviously it doesn't mean they are great owners/coaches just because of those things (I think we all aren't thrilled w/Haley & some aren't fans of Letang haha) but u can't discount that level of experience/knowledge & connections.

Mix in how highly our recent stars/gone pro players (Kyrou x2, Del Mastro, Pastujov, Voit, Rymsha, Rees, Perreault, Dineen, Ritchie, Burke etc) talk about the team/staff & that also helps.

Fischer goes 2nd round. We hope Kostuch, Karimov will be picked. Be great if Barr, Hurt could as they showed great promise. Following yr Di Iorio, Brown (late Bday), Edwards we hope will be picked. And players/agents definitely take note of that stuff. It means you are developing guys properly.

Is this regime perfect? No, but nobody is even the hunters have there whiffs/mistakes (just far less than everyone else lol), but I've loved Seca as GM & Legwand as owner. Letang has his issues, but I've liked how a lot of kids have developed under him.

I went from utter doom & gloom a summer ago to feeling more optimistic than I did about the 2023 team lmao. Obviously we are a ways away from really finding out if they've picked the right players & if they develop right, but I'm tremendously excited for the upside of this team over the course of the next 3 years.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Must say I don't envy having to make the lines for the upcoming season haha. Not that they are super stacked but more so they have a bunch of U17s mixed with established vets. Way to early but I think I'd start with

Brown-Wainwright-Karimov
Kostuch-Filak-Doucette
Edwards-Di Iorio-Doherty
Luecke-Gaughan-Moses

Certainly wouldn't hate ADI or Edwards on line 2, but apparently they played together at youth Olympics & had good chemistry so be fun to see if they could build on that + with Doherty that could be such a fun trio. Starting them L3 to start also allows them to ease in at the beginning.

Really does reinforce though how young this unit is. 7Fs will be 16 or 17. Filak will be the only F with more than 2 seasons of experience. So while it's such a fun, promising group we will have to remember to be patient haha. They will have their slumps/bumps.

Also really puts Sim/Lominac/Hall in an awfully tough spot. If they can't take a rather substantial step not sure they stay around. If one can might make Moses expendable, though I absolutely love his effort, grit, physical play & that is nice to have with our youth.

Last edited:

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
Must say I don't envy having to make the lines for the upcoming season haha. Not that they are super stacked but more so they have a bunch of U17s mixed with established vets. Way to early but I think I'd start with

Brown-Wainwright-Karimov
Kostuch-Filak-Doucette
Edwards-Di Iorio-Doherty
Luecke-Gaughan-Moses

Certainly wouldn't hate ADI or Edwards on line 2, but apparently they played together at youth Olympics & had good chemistry so be fun to see if they could build on that + with Doherty that could be such a fun trio. Starting them L3 to start also allows them to ease in at the beginning.

Really does reinforce though how young this unit is. 7Fs will be 16 or 17. Filak will be the only F with more than 2 seasons of experience. So while it's such a fun, promising group we will have to remember to be patient haha. They will have their slumps/bumps.

Also really puts Sim/Lominac/Hall in an awfully tough spot. If they can't take a rather substantial step not sure they stay around. If one can might make Moses expendable, though I absolutely love his effort, grit, physical play & that is nice to have with our youth.
I like how the forwards and defence are shaping up but one massive glaring hole that has to be addressed early this year is the future of our goaltending. maillet in an unknown and chartier for the most part is as well. May need to trade at some point.

Reactions: StingUpdates

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia

Brown-Wainwright-Karimov
Kostuch-Filak-Doucette
Edwards-Di Iorio-Doherty
Luecke-Gaughan-Moses

To add to the post I made I would also think that adding some size at forward should be a priority with all these young guys. Guys like lominac and Sim are undersized , unless they had big growth spurts. maybe see if we can make a trade for some size up front. idk just my thoughts

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
We've been saying it. Sarnia is slowly but surely becoming a good place to play for these kids. Border city which helps with Americans. Arena has improved dramatically. Attendance the same. Dressing room drastically upgraded.

Long time NHL player as owner. NHL players as both assistant coaches. Letang multiple time team Canada coach/assistant. If your a player who's goal is to play in the NHL that's awfully nice to have around you. Obviously it doesn't mean they are great owners/coaches just because of those things (I think we all aren't thrilled w/Haley & some aren't fans of Letang haha) but u can't discount that level of experience/knowledge & connections.

Mix in how highly our recent stars/gone pro players (Kyrou x2, Del Mastro, Pastujov, Voit, Rymsha, Rees, Perreault, Dineen, Ritchie, Burke etc) talk about the team/staff & that also helps.

Fischer goes 2nd round. We hope Kostuch, Karimov will be picked. Be great if Barr, Hurt could as they showed great promise. Following yr Di Iorio, Brown (late Bday), Edwards we hope will be picked. And players/agents definitely take note of that stuff. It means you are developing guys properly.

Is this regime perfect? No, but nobody is even the hunters have there whiffs/mistakes (just far less than everyone else lol), but I've loved Seca as GM & Legwand as owner. Letang has his issues, but I've liked how a lot of kids have developed under him.

I went from utter doom & gloom a summer ago to feeling more optimistic than I did about the 2023 team lmao. Obviously we are a ways away from really finding out if they've picked the right players & if they develop right, but I'm tremendously excited for the upside of this team over the course of the next 3 years.
Legwand has been putting in the groundwork for years... I always see his Caesars teams in the bar watching.... lol for the record I don't hate Letang I just think he's frustrating and a bit too old school at times... I personally think Seca has done an amazing job now.... He's put together the team now they need to get it done. I was worried Windsor would always be slightly better than us going forward... I think we just pulled ahead.

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Seca seemed to wanna point out Karimov will be here for 3 years which is absolutely perfect for our timeline.

Terrific 24 hours for the team. Can't wait to see all this young talent at camp in a month.

I like how the forwards and defence are shaping up but one massive glaring hole that has to be addressed early this year is the future of our goaltending. maillet in an unknown and chartier for the most part is as well. May need to trade at some point.
Most definitely. We'll know pretty quick in camp if Maillet is an OHL goalie or not. Id give Chartier 15-20 games & if he's looking shaky/didn't take a step I'd start looking around for a 17or18 yr Old G who's maybe not being given #1 starting minutes.

Won't be cheap, but if they add a legit #1 goalie this team will be looking absolutely loaded in the coming years. Patrick Quinlan who's highly touted is yet to commit to a school which intrigues me.

Reactions: Section5Petes

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
To add to the post I made I would also think that adding some size at forward should be a priority with all these young guys. Guys like lominac and Sim are undersized , unless they had big growth spurts. maybe see if we can make a trade for some size up front. idk just my thoughts
Not sure either guy even makes the team at this point. But I agree. My guess would be Hall as 13th F over the other 2 just because of his size & grit.

Karimov plays physical & aggressive which is nice. Edwards, Gaughan & Di Iorio all are 6'1" & above which is really nice but obviously they won't be physically strong as 18s/19s/0As.

Reactions: Section5Petes

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
lominac was up for trade this year a lot
Not a surprise. He gives 100% effort & I commended his change to play a physical role when he couldn't produce, but small combined with a lack of speed & ability to make plays at top speed. Bad combo.

Unless he took a big step I doubt he makes it. If he's even at camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad