Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
From Brock Otten's annual import draft review. So excited to see both guys at camp. Both are gonna bring skillsets we didn't see at all last year for this team.
Screenshot_20240715-143827.png

Screenshot_20240715-143942.png

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
The US 16 (2008 born players) Development Camp happened over the past week to determine who goes to the U-17 Five Nations tournament in August for the US. Three Sting prospects were at the camp.

Easton Walos: 5 GP, 4G, 2A, 6 PTS (named camp all-star)
Chase Gaughan: 5 GP, 1G, 2A, 3 PTS
Nick Bogas: 5 GP, 1G, 1 PT (named camp all-star)

Bogas was named to the Five Nations team that will play in Slovakia from August 14-18

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
The US 16 (2008 born players) Development Camp happened over the past week to determine who goes to the U-17 Five Nations tournament in August for the US. Three Sting prospects were at the camp.

Easton Walos: 5 GP, 4G, 2A, 6 PTS (named camp all-star)
Chase Gaughan: 5 GP, 1G, 2A, 3 PTS
Nick Bogas: 5 GP, 1G, 1 PT (named camp all-star)

Bogas was named to the Five Nations team that will play in Slovakia from August 14-18
Not sure we'll ever see walos. Already signed to a BCHL team. Bogas still hasn't signed which is interesting, but he went round 2 in the USHL draft so I'd assume he's leaning that way. Nice to see Gaughan though getting invited to that & not showing poorly. Really intrigued to see him at camp.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Brown invited to U18 camp & Di Iorio invited to u16 camp! Congrats to them.

Must say though, feel Kostuch deserved an invite too. Some of the other OHLers invited he played better than, heck I'd probably say he outplayed Brown in the 2nd half.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Must say though, feel Kostuch deserved an invite too. Some of the other OHLers invited he played better than, heck I'd probably say he outplayed Brown in the 2nd half.
Kostuch will be a stud. Very surprised he’s not there. Never got the chance in NB- goes to sarnia and starts to find his game.

Regardless kid will be a stud for sure

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

who does he go ahead of?

Reactions: Section5Petes

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
who does he go ahead of?
I personally thought he was more impressive than Nesbitt, Hopkins, Taylor, Czata. More complete game than Nesbitt & Taylor especially. As I said too he was definitely better than Brown in the 2nd half for us, although I'll cut brown some slack that he had a back injury & maybe it lingered.

Not super mad over it those guys are very promising as well, just would've liked to see him get an invite after a 20G, 36 point pace with Sarnia.

Reactions: JAMER

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
who does he go ahead of?
Nesbitt imo but I can see why they’d like Nesbitt for his height.

Nesbitt 18pts in 58games with last place Windsor.

kostuch with 6 pts in 34 games with north bay but then 16 in 31 with sarnia which was just as bad as Windsor

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I personally thought he was more impressive than Nesbitt, Hopkins, Taylor, Czata. More complete game than Nesbitt & Taylor especially. As I said too he was definitely better than Brown in the 2nd half for us, although I'll cut brown some slack that he had a back injury & maybe it lingered.
Hopkins and Taylor no but yes to Nesbitt and Czata.

Hopkins played 4th line all year with the fronts and when he finally got minutes he turned into one of the best players the last 15 reg season games and into the post season- penalty killing, power play, first line, and he’s a good 2 way centre who competes like hell. Had 8 pts in last 10 games and a 3 pt game vs north bay in playoffs

Taylor had probably one of the best rookie second half’s with the Pete’s. He was one of their best players the second half of the season there with them after the Pete’s traded away anyone and everyone worth any sort of value. Had 18 pts in 31 games so close to kostuch but slightly better numbers and 6’3 185

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Hopkins and Taylor no but yes to Nesbitt and Czata.

Hopkins played 4th line all year with the fronts and when he finally got minutes he turned into one of the best players the last 15 reg season games and into the post season- penalty killing, power play, first line, and he’s a good 2 way centre who competes like hell. Had 8 pts in last 10 games and a 3 pt game vs north bay in playoffs

Taylor had probably one of the best rookie second half’s with the Pete’s. He was one of their best players the second half of the season there with them after the Pete’s traded away anyone and everyone worth any sort of value. Had 18 pts in 31 games so close to kostuch but slightly better numbers and 6’3 185
Taylor definitely a better scorer. Kostuch more consistent compete + all around play. But I can't say I know the W&Q kids so if they needed finishers taylor over Kostuch makes sense.

Kostuch had a better yr than Hopkins but Hopkins definitely the more higher touted prospect & playoffs helped.

End of the they are all great U17s was just hoping Kostuch would get some love as he was one of the better 07s in 2024.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
End of the they are all great U17s was just hoping Kostuch would get some love as he was one of the better 07s in 2024.
I agree 100%. Czata I kinda forgot about him. Besides Hopkins I think he had the most disappointing year of any of them. Kostuch should be on the team. No reason for Nesbitt to be on it other than him being tall.

But atleast Hopkins shows promise going into year 2 atleast- should be a big breakout candidate.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Taylor definitely a better scorer. Kostuch more consistent compete + all around play. But I can't say I know the W&Q kids so if they needed finishers taylor over Kostuch makes sense.

Kostuch had a better yr than Hopkins but Hopkins definitely the more higher touted prospect & playoffs helped.

also have to keep in mind that hockey canada puts a lot into how players do at thier programs, it’s why Ben gaudreau was on the u20 team in a year he was inconsistent at best. Czata and Hopkins both had very good u17s. and to be fair, probably better OHL players, nothing against kostoch, doesn’t mean he’s not good either

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Not super mad over it those guys are very promising as well, just would've liked to see him get an invite after a 20G, 36 point pace with Sarnia.
I have not seen enough of of Nesbit to comment. I did see pretty much every minute of Kostuch in NB, and think he will be a very good 200’ foot OHL player; but he is not on the level of Hopkins, Czata, and Taylor.
I can see Kostuch being a better over all player than Taylor, at least a more complete player. But choosing one player for a tournament team, I side with Taylor who is a pure goal scorer.

Last edited:

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Joshua Denes (2024 9th round pick) signed with the Strathroy Rockets (GOJHL) for the 2024-2025 season. It should be great for his development to be so close to Sarnia. He most likely won't play this year but it should give him a chance to practice against OHL competition regularly

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Joshua Denes (2024 9th round pick) signed with the Strathroy Rockets (GOJHL) for the 2024-2025 season. It should be great for his development to be so close to Sarnia. He most likely won't play this year but it should give him a chance to practice against OHL competition regularly
He was really impressive at rookie camp. little undersized but good skater & showed legit skills with a good shot. He was ranked higher by most scouting services I saw. Puck preps Ontario had him ranked 55th which was the highest (ik they aren't the best.)

Wouldn't be surprised if Sarnia wanted him to play close for the reasons u said. Shane Neusteter (4th round) was at legionnaires camp so I'm guessing he'll be there. I know Sarnia likes him quite a bit so I'm sure he'll practice with the team a fair bit & play a ton w/Legionnaires.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
He was really impressive at rookie camp. little undersized but good skater & showed legit skills with a good shot. He was ranked higher by most scouting services I saw. Puck preps Ontario had him ranked 55th which was the highest (ik they aren't the best.)

Wouldn't be surprised if Sarnia wanted him to play close for the reasons u said. Shane Neusteter (4th round) was at legionnaires camp so I'm guessing he'll be there. I know Sarnia likes him quite a bit so I'm sure he'll practice with the team a fair bit & play a ton w/Legionnaires.
I always like when the team has players close enough that they can practice with the team. I think it makes the transition to the OHL game a little bit easier. It probably helped Matthew Andersen and Casey Bridgewater not look out of place last year because they're used to the speed of the game. Glad to see they're using the GOJHL effectively again this year. Seca has done a better job at using the Jr. B loop as a development tool in his time here than others in the past. Just out of curiosity did you see any other Sting prospects at the Legionnaires camp?

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
also have to keep in mind that hockey canada puts a lot into how players do at thier programs, it’s why Ben gaudreau was on the u20 team in a year he was inconsistent at best. Czata and Hopkins both had very good u17s. and to be fair, probably better OHL players, nothing against kostoch, doesn’t mean he’s not good either
A huge reason why Team Canada u20 hasn't put together their best possible teams in awhile. Obviously they're not as bad as team usa tho.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
When is DS going to make a move? Let's get on top of things not wait til others beat us to players.

We know we have surplus of young player we need to upgrade sooner than later.

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
When is DS going to make a move? Let's get on top of things not wait til others beat us to players.

We know we have surplus of young player we need to upgrade sooner than later.
We can't make any moves till August 1st I believe.

Reactions: howler2

stinger94

Jan 8, 2024
Edwards signs with sting!?

Absolutely incredible!!

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
ThE OhL keEPs LoSiNG taLenT tO ThE NcaA!
its amazing, to this point who is left that didnt come this year? malhotra, hyman, and kawajah? most of the ones who are going to the bchl are guys who thought theyd be top 20 picks and found out that they were not even 2nd round picks after its all said and done. and where not going to be in the ohl this year anyways.

Edwards signs with sting!?

Absolutely incredible!!

Stingupdates messaged me this weekend and said it was happening, he called it.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
its amazing, to this point who is left that didnt come this year? malhotra, hyman, and kawajah? most of the ones who are going to the bchl are guys who thought theyd be top 20 picks and found out that they were not even 2nd round picks after its all said and done. and where not going to be in the ohl this year anyways.

Stingupdates messaged me this weekend and said it was happening, he called it.
Cali and Hawery but they could both be in the OHL next year. Haven't seen anything definitive about either of them jumping ship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad