Sarnia Sting 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
Let's all stop sugar coating this team and franchise, we've suffered long enough with mediocre teams and management. I don't know if it's from a lack of not spending enough money that has resulted in the lack of overall success. This team and franchise kinda reminds me of dare I say the Leafs. We've had the first overall picks and the talent but no winning pedigree. I really hope this current young group can turn it around because my loyalty and commitment to the team is wearing thin.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I was looking at the attendance of the games the other night, sting are on par with the majority of the league, only two teams that had noticeably bigger attendances were London and Kitchener. Everyone else was in between 2000-3000 range except missasauga 1200. So if sting are doing bad the majority of the league is with them.
Niagara between 3,200 and 3,759.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Well this franchise can’t afford to keep losing its fan base. I’d be concerned if I were the owner of a team and had to sit there and watch long time supporters of the team stop spending money. This franchise doesn’t have the luxury to lose season ticket holders like others might.
This is exactly my point. Everyone always points out how the crowds are bad and blame it on the fans and the city rather than the organization.

Reactions: Ferda11

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
One of the youngest teams in the league, growing pains, takes a while….. I remember we finished 2nd in the conference a few years back and got beat in the first round buy a hot team with a great goalie. We could be that hot team with a great goalie in the second half. Either way nobody will miss you at the rink lol.
lol rob we've been saying this for how many years?

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I fully expect Sarnia's attendance numbers to plummet while the contenders attendance numbers will rise or stay steady. didn't seem like there was 2255 people there vs Guelph. more like 1500.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Attendance numbers are always tallied by tickets sold and given out. It could say 2255 people but in reality it could be below 2000 due to season ticket holders not going to the game they paid for or the sting giving out tickets to sponsors that don't use them.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Let's all stop sugar coating this team and franchise, we've suffered long enough with mediocre teams and management. I don't know if it's from a lack of not spending enough money that has resulted in the lack of overall success. This team and franchise kinda reminds me of dare I say the Leafs. We've had the first overall picks and the talent but no winning pedigree. I really hope this current young group can turn it around because my loyalty and commitment to the team is wearing thin.

This is spot on. Sarnia has been fortunate to have some really really great hockey players in their line up over the years. I think a lot of fans get caught up in the individual player that possess super star qualities instead of the team performance as a whole. Seeing players like Stamkos, Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Boucher, Goldobin, Zacha, Konecny, Rees, Perreault, Gaudreau etc. has certainly helped lighten the darkness of not being able to hardly get out of the 1st round and never the 2nd round. The game has also changed a lot. It's all skilled based. I use to still really enjoy going to games when we were losing because guys like Martin, Didiomete, Mashinter, Clune, Anger, Haley, Davey etc. were running around giving fans full value. You don't see those types for players anymore, so winning is a must.

Reactions: HkyBeegs3

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
This is spot on. Sarnia has been fortunate to have some really really great hockey players in their line up over the years. I think a lot of fans get caught up in the individual player that possess super star qualities instead of the team performance as a whole. Seeing players like Stamkos, Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Boucher, Goldobin, Zacha, Konecny, Rees, Perreault, Gaudreau etc. has certainly helped lighten the darkness of not being able to hardly get out of the 1st round and never the 2nd round. The game has also changed a lot. It's all skilled based. I use to still really enjoy going to games when we were losing because guys like Martin, Didiomete, Mashinter, Clune, Anger, Haley, Davey etc. were running around giving fans full value. You don't see those types for players anymore, so winning is a must.
Seems like the well run teams always get their players back from the NHL while Sarnia does not. I bet NHL organizations know how big of a joke Sarnia is and don't trust Sarnia with their players. I may be totally wrong but it just seems like it. Are Hatcher and Legend looking to hold onto the team long term?

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
The fans here are so positive. They have played 5 games. 2 loses in OT and another by 1 goal. Also, look at the caliber of teams that we have played so far. Yes Supryka has had a couple costly giveaways. He also takes chances and I'm sure by the end of the season, some of you will stop bitching about him. He reminds me a bit of Ryan Wilson. Sting fans also complained about him all the time too. I'm also sure that with some time, this team will be more consistent. Letang is a good coach.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
The fans here are so positive. They have played 5 games. 2 loses in OT and another by 1 goal. Also, look at the caliber of teams that we have played so far. Yes Supryka has had a couple costly giveaways. He also takes chances and I'm sure by the end of the season, some of you will stop bitching about him. He reminds me a bit of Ryan Wilson. Sting fans also complained about him all the time too. I'm also sure that with some time, this team will be more consistent. Letang is a good coach.
Nothing to do with being positive or negative. Look at the numbers, look at the history of this franchise. Poor drafting and decision making by management is what it is.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I've been to hundreds of games in Sarnia but Friday was special for me.

I brought my whole family. Wife and 2 kids.

When I was walking the track, EVERYBODY was so nice to her. Someone gave her a game puck, some candy, high fives. She's only 3 and likes to walk around like she owns the damn place lol.

So thank you Sarnia. That was special to see. I don't get them out to many games but it was nice to see so many people be accommodating to the little humans.

Can't wait to come back later in the season.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Some of the fans must of thought this team was a contender going into the season when in reality they are middle of the pack team at best and most of us knew that going into the season now we have a few close losses to top teams and shit hits the fans. Well I agree they should be playing better hockey and I’m sure they will once all these young forwards get coached up abit and get comfortable to playing in the league but I’m not going to sit here and say this roster is a contender because it’s not, wayyyyy too young upfront.

Reactions: BoxerMax

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
No one here is expecting the Sting to be a contender. I don’t think anyone here had the sting finishing any higher then 4th or 5th in the western conference. The point being made isn’t about just the 5 games this season. It’s about the franchise as a whole and it’s undeniable, consistent failures over the years.

At the end of the day, this is a hockey forum for people to discuss their opinions on the team. Positive or negative, it’s comes with the territory. People who have spent their hard earned money on this team over the years have every right to be critical just as some choose to have more of a rainbows and butterflies mentality. All input and opinions are welcome here. Don’t like it, don’t read it.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
No one here is expecting the Sting to be a contender. I don’t think anyone here had the sting finishing any higher then 4th or 5th in the western conference. The point being made isn’t about just the 5 games this season. It’s about the franchise as a whole and it’s undeniable, consistent failures over the years.

At the end of the day, this is a hockey forum for people to discuss their opinions on the team. Positive or negative, it’s comes with the territory. People who have spent their hard earned money on this team over the years have every right to be critical just as some choose to have more of a rainbows and butterflies mentality. All input and opinions are welcome here. Don’t like it, don’t read it.

My dad and i were season ticket holders back in the 1995-2000 seasons and it was fun to go to the games . We go to the games these days and the product on ice is lacking. No atmosphere in the rink, and I feel that we've lost that in sarnia due to the mediocre teams and management never building a true contender. Sarnia teams have no identity.

Sportnut18

Apr 27, 2021
Fans are not not the problem - the ownership is. They are not fully invested and it was rumoured they were trying to sell the team pre pandemic. Could that still be on the table?

Reactions: davewheeler

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
My dad and i were season ticket holders back in the 1995-2000 seasons and it was fun to go to the games . We go to the games these days and the product on ice is lacking. No atmosphere in the rink, and I feel that we've lost that in sarnia due to the mediocre teams and management never building a true contender. Sarnia teams have no identity.
So many stories like this. Hatcher era has been a huge disappointment. Guy literally bough an OHL team so his kid had somewhere to play. Complete dud as a coach and owner. London is gonna smack us next game. Only reason why it won't be 10-0 is because we have good goaltending.

Reactions: HkyBeegs3 and LDN

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Fans are not not the problem - the ownership is. They are not fully invested and it was rumoured they were trying to sell the team pre pandemic. Could that still be on the table?
Lets hope so. But lets also hope the team stays in Sarnia.

SpaceMan81

Oct 16, 2021
I think that the team has a decent core for next year. They need to strip down and trade every asset (Gaudreau, Guy, Supryka, maybe Reesor) to get some decent 05, 04 players that are already OHL caliber. Then you might have a pretty good team for next year.
Keep Thornton as he is really good and Benny would bring more back in a trade.
Maybe I should be the GM of the team. I seem to have everything figured out!

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
So many stories like this. Hatcher era has been a huge disappointment. Guy literally bough an OHL team so his kid had somewhere to play. Complete dud as a coach and owner. London is gonna smack us next game. Only reason why it won't be 10-0 is because we have good goaltending.

The Hunters did the same thing ,except they know what they're doing. :laugh:

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
The Hunters did the same thing ,except they know what they're doing. :laugh:
The ability to acurately judge and assess your team is a vital and necessary skill in order to run a successful franchise. Knowing when to tear down and when to rebuild. Knowing when to cash in, and knowing when to hold on to assets. Player evaluation and coaching assessment. Has Sarnia ever exceled at this? Part of the Hatcher eras problem and the previous owners has been that their most likely too hands on and dont let his talent take the reigns.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I agree bad coach but he's been a solid owner. Has soaked a ton of money into the team.

Arena is miles better than it was before he arrived. Go listen to interviews with Kyrou, Rymsha, Rees, Perreault who all say Hatcher & Legwand helped them prepare for pro hockey well.

Not to mention the team has been night & day better in the city doing charity work & connecting with the community (pre covid) than with previous ownership.

And u can say what u want but we had are 2 best seasons in franchise history in the 5 years he's been here. Last but not least they've committed to keeping the team here.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I agree bad coach but he's been a solid owner. Has soaked a ton of money into the team.

Arena is miles better than it was before he arrived. Go listen to interviews with Kyrou, Rymsha, Rees, Perreault who all say Hatcher & Legwand helped them prepare for pro hockey well.

Not to mention the team has been night & day better in the city doing charity work & connecting with the community (pre covid) than with previous ownership.

And u can say what u want but we had are 2 best seasons in franchise history in the 5 years he's been here. Last but not least they've committed to keeping the team here.
Agree the arena is better and they have been better in the community. However, in my opinion, winning is how you judge a team. Sure Hatcher helped them prepare for the NHL and thats great but like isn't that expected? IMO Sarnia's best teams came back when the Sting were at the Brock Street Barn. How many playoff series has Hatcher won?

Reactions: HkyBeegs3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad