Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
28 bucks. Hockey fever in Sarnia has taken a Tylenol with a team that’s hard to watch.
By the way Frost & Hayton looking good out there in the first.

Reactions: soo hound girl

StingDrone

Sep 21, 2017
topof106.tumblr.com
Some observations, opinions, whatever at the 1/4 mark of the season. Since the beginning of the season, the Sting have managed to win a few games, and just when you think things are turning around, they will lose 3 in a row and then win a few just when you think the season is lost. I have tried to remain optimistic that good things are around the corner (Perreault will be back from U17, Rees will recover fully, Ruzicka will snap out of his now 14 game streak without a goal, and one of the goalies will step up and earn the #1 spot). After Wednesday's game in Flint, that optimism is all but gone.
First off: Shop Ruzicka around and see if there are any offers. He does not seem to want to play in Sarnia. He will have a good shift here and there and hit someone occasionally, but then he will go back to his leisurely style of play the next 3 or 4 shifts. Most of the Wed. game he seemed bored and he just looked like he would rather be somewhere else. That game should have been a chance for him to snap out of his drought. Maybe a change of scenery is what he needs. I realize that as an import, the Sting may not get much, if anything in return.
Start shopping the other veterans. If the Sting are going to finish 7 8 or 9 with all the '99s, what will they lose by trading most of them for future picks or even a young player or 2?
Start Hughes in all games at Saginaw and Flint. He is unbeatable in Saginaw and Langevin has given up 11 goals in 2 games in Flint.
Keep Josling over McGregor. Josling has a better chance of returning as an OA next year.
Keep Hatcher (just kidding - he's not going anywhere)
Keep Hugo. See what offers are out there for the other '99s and Jakovljevic (the only '00 on the roster). Unless there is a goalie prospect out there, the Sting may have to keep Hughes.
Do not trade any of the '01s.
Also, Nolan Burke's debut on Wed. was not spectacular or anything, but he did not look out of place and he's only 15 yrs. old.
As a Sting STH, they already have my money for the season so I guess I should just buckle my seat belt, because this is going to be a bumpy ride.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Some observations, opinions, whatever at the 1/4 mark of the season. Since the beginning of the season, the Sting have managed to win a few games, and just when you think things are turning around, they will lose 3 in a row and then win a few just when you think the season is lost. I have tried to remain optimistic that good things are around the corner (Perreault will be back from U17, Rees will recover fully, Ruzicka will snap out of his now 14 game streak without a goal, and one of the goalies will step up and earn the #1 spot). After Wednesday's game in Flint, that optimism is all but gone.
First off: Shop Ruzicka around and see if there are any offers. He does not seem to want to play in Sarnia. He will have a good shift here and there and hit someone occasionally, but then he will go back to his leisurely style of play the next 3 or 4 shifts. Most of the Wed. game he seemed bored and he just looked like he would rather be somewhere else. That game should have been a chance for him to snap out of his drought. Maybe a change of scenery is what he needs. I realize that as an import, the Sting may not get much, if anything in return.
Start shopping the other veterans. If the Sting are going to finish 7 8 or 9 with all the '99s, what will they lose by trading most of them for future picks or even a young player or 2?
Start Hughes in all games at Saginaw and Flint. He is unbeatable in Saginaw and Langevin has given up 11 goals in 2 games in Flint.
Keep Josling over McGregor. Josling has a better chance of returning as an OA next year.
Keep Hatcher (just kidding - he's not going anywhere)
Keep Hugo. See what offers are out there for the other '99s and Jakovljevic (the only '00 on the roster). Unless there is a goalie prospect out there, the Sting may have to keep Hughes.
Do not trade any of the '01s.
Also, Nolan Burke's debut on Wed. was not spectacular or anything, but he did not look out of place and he's only 15 yrs. old.
As a Sting STH, they already have my money for the season so I guess I should just buckle my seat belt, because this is going to be a bumpy ride.
I agree with almost everything you said.
You had better be prepared to buckle up for a couple years, because next year won’t be much better.
2020-21 can’t get here fast enough

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
The more I think about it, and as much as I understood the need to do so, the acquisition of Dineen and Eliot for the second half of the season has been a big negative for this year’s team. Assuming that the responsibility to keep the puck out of your net falls on more than just the goalie, I have to say that the LACK of progress in Kammerer, Marko and Hogue has a lot to do with the amount of time they spent in the stands over the second half. I expected much more from all of them but they’ playing like rookies. Hopefully the playing time this year will be much more beneficial. I’m just hoping that they can get through the season without developing a losing culture.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Bringing in Eliot for a run in playoffs was a great idea, he played solid defensively and physically, and he’s been a stud this year and they will get a decent return when they trade him at the deadline, I realize he’s an OA but a lot of contender teams will be fighting over him to bolster their blue line for a run. We also didn’t have to give up anything to bring him in. Dineen was a good pickup at the time and he finished the regular season great, but didn’t produce with the other sting stars in playoffs. Looking at it now probably not worth it but at the time of the acquisition definitely worth it.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
The only one I’m disappointed with is Kammerer... I thought jako improved he was god aweful last year... and hogue I just don’t think he has what it takes

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Bringing in Eliot for a run in playoffs was a great idea, he played solid defensively and physically, and he’s been a stud this year and they will get a decent return when they trade him at the deadline, I realize he’s an OA but a lot of contender teams will be fighting over him to bolster their blue line for a run. We also didn’t have to give up anything to bring him in. Dineen was a good pickup at the time and he finished the regular season great, but didn’t produce with the other sting stars in playoffs. Looking at it now probably not worth it but at the time of the acquisition definitely worth it.
Exactly!!

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
The only one I’m disappointed with is Kammerer... I thought jako improved he was god aweful last year... and hogue I just don’t think he has what it takes
I think there’s a reason they have Hogue playing 4th line wing; hoping to develop a Sproviero or Ernst - a winger who can play point on power play. That’s fine because I agree he’s a liability on defense.
I felt Marko was just fine last year - approximately what Calvas was a year earlier. He’s also ok this year but not much improved IMO.
Kammerer just seems to be playing in a perpetual panic. He looked so good for a 15/16 year old in the first half of last year that I think we all expected a stud in the making. Hasn’t materialized so far but I hope it’s just a short term confidence thing. Time will tell

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Didn’t see or listen to the game tonight but I notice Ruzicka absent from the scoresheet. What’s the story?
5 goals against again. Good grief, this is getting old.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
That’s among the dumbest things youve ever posted. ( which isn’t easy )
You said the West “was incredibly wide open “ - Clearly anyone reading this would implicitly think this to mean to the West is wide open for many teams to win the Conference .
Now you’re backpedalling and saying the West is incredibly wide open but Sting can only win one round and that the team isn’t a real contender ?
When I suggested that the team wasn’t a real contender and that they should play the 01 kids you called me a “ loser “.
So now that you’re suggesting the exact same thing what does that make you ?
Stop posting jibberish .
The Western Conference is so wide open this year it is unbelievable ...... This team has the chance to make it just as far as "the best" Sting teams ever. So to say they're going no where acting like they have went somewhere before is weird but ok. Funny, everyone wanted the Sting to load up when they had no shot to win. I'd argue their chances of winning this year are about the same or maybe better as years past. If we get solid goaltending, return of Rees, maybe pick up a player.... who knows. Only a loser would give up a season 12 games in.
Bobby this will be the last time I reply to you because you don't seem to have a proper understanding of whats being said and you continuously say I said things which I never said. No where did I call you a loser, read my quote above, I said only a loser would give on a season 12 games in, Sting are not real contenders but they shouldn't give up in September, it will cost them fans and money, wait till the deadline. The West is wide open and yes I think there are a handful of teams that could win it, now London getting players back may complicate that a bit but I am not a fortune teller. I have never back-pedalled. I will state this again, The sting are not real contenders, The sting can only win 1 round max, if they won 2 rounds I would be shocked. I don't get how thats so complicated? Teams can make the playoffs and even win a round and not be considered a contender, it happens all the time.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Anyways, So I was at the Canada Russia game and I was shocked at the price of tickets. I forget how much I paid but it was over $30, maybe $35 for seats. I got tickets the day of the game because I had no idea the game was even happening. Attendance at the game was poor but after seeing ticket prices I was not surprised. Who decides ticket prices? If it is Hockey Canada they're a joke and have learned nothing from abysmal attendance at the WJ tournament. It's just sad to see.
Anyone hear anything on Tyler Weiss? In my opinion he made a massive mistake not coming to play in the O. Just read he transferred schools, does he have to sit out? He got drafted in the 4th round, if he had played with the Sting last year, possibly with Kyrou his stock would have been much higher. Has he even played an NCAA game yet? He could have 2 full years of OHL experience. It just makes no sense to me.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Bobby this will be the last time I reply to you because you don't seem to have a proper understanding of whats being said and you continuously say I said things which I never said. No where did I call you a loser, read my quote above, I said only a loser would give on a season 12 games in, Sting are not real contenders but they shouldn't give up in September, it will cost them fans and money, wait till the deadline. The West is wide open and yes I think there are a handful of teams that could win it, now London getting players back may complicate that a bit but I am not a fortune teller. I have never back-pedalled. I will state this again, The sting are not real contenders, The sting can only win 1 round max, if they won 2 rounds I would be shocked. I don't get how thats so complicated? Teams can make the playoffs and even win a round and not be considered a contender, it happens all the time.
I agree that the sting aren’t contenders and should sell at the deadline like a mediocre London team did last year. But if the west is so wide open why is it so hard to believe the sting can’t make it to the third round? London and the soo are probably the top dogs now but other than that it’s pretty even and upsets happen

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I agree that the sting aren’t contenders and should sell at the deadline like a mediocre London team did last year. But if the west is so wide open why is it so hard to believe the sting can’t make it to the third round? London and the soo are probably the top dogs now but other than that it’s pretty even and upsets happen
I agree in principle but great goaltending is usually the centerpiece of an upset and I don’t see that happening here.
London survived a rebuild/selloff last year on the backs of Kooy and Raaymakers, and managed to look respectable.

Reactions: davewheeler

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Also think you are discounting what Saginaw and Guelph do when they load up in January - Not going to advance far in the playoffs if you don't have home ice. Spits/Erie all in the same boat - need a couple of years to get back near the top. Sarnia has to sell, it is their only chance of a quick turn around.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Because in order to make it to the third round, which is the west final, they would have to beat London, which won't happen.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Also think you are discounting what Saginaw and Guelph do when they load up in January - Not going to advance far in the playoffs if you don't have home ice. Spits/Erie all in the same boat - need a couple of years to get back near the top. Sarnia has to sell, it is their only chance of a quick turn around.
Yes, I think in the end the Sting will end up selling. If they do decide to sell it will be another disappointing season for the sting. If I am Hatcher I am starting to worry about the attendance numbers, they are pitiful and will remain to fall for the remainder of the season. I don't plan on attending anymore games, ill watch on tv but I'm not spending money. I hope Hatcher has learned a few hard lessons in his first years as owner. A shame the sting will be forced to sell when the league is more wide open. Does anyone share the same feeling that if the Sting dont start winning next year the franchise may move on from Sarnia?

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Yes, I think in the end the Sting will end up selling. If they do decide to sell it will be another disappointing season for the sting. If I am Hatcher I am starting to worry about the attendance numbers, they are pitiful and will remain to fall for the remainder of the season. I don't plan on attending anymore games, ill watch on tv but I'm not spending money. I hope Hatcher has learned a few hard lessons in his first years as owner. A shame the sting will be forced to sell when the league is more wide open. Does anyone share the same feeling that if the Sting dont start winning next year the franchise may move on from Sarnia?
Sorry gang, but next year’s gonna be worse. Team will lose Eliot Salinitri Sproviero and all but 3 of McGregor Josling Hugo Ruzicka Hatcher Grima Egert Hughes. We’ve got no ‘2000’s on the team ex Marko. Need to unload seniors for 2000 or 2001s

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Sorry gang, but next year’s gonna be worse. Team will lose Eliot Salinitri Sproviero and all but 3 of McGregor Josling Hugo Ruzicka Hatcher Grima Egert Hughes. We’ve got no ‘2000’s on the team ex Marko. Need to unload seniors for 2000 or 2001s
If this is true it looks like back to back selling years mixed in with a few first round playoff exits... looks a lot like the cicarelli era to me!

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
After 19 games, the sting have held a lead in 17 of them, at some point. They have 7 wins.
Good grief - keep the puck out of your net, somehow!

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
How can you expect the players to be hyper when their goalie gives up goals in the first few minutes or last few minutes of period or game? How demoralizing is that?

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015
you don't know that the team will be worse .probably 2 new imports , hopefully an , injury free Rees , Perreault, another good 1st rounder who makes the team , maybe a surprise or two, hey we are due for some good fortune

Reactions: The Howler

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
you don't know that the team will be worse .probably 2 new imports , hopefully an , injury free Rees , Perreault, another good 1st rounder who makes the team , maybe a surprise or two, hey we are due for some good fortune
Who’s in net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad