Confirmed with Link: Sandin to Washington for Erik Gustafsson and 1st (BOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Imo fans get too emotional about it too. It's one of the few negotiation strategies that RFAs have given all the power lies with teams until they're ufa.

What matters is ultimately their attitude - once.the contract is taken care of are they willing to buy in and be part of the team ect. If they player is still unsettled then there may be trouble ahead.

With Sandin, unfortunately the bridge deal only seemed to punt the deeper questions about him down the line to be dealt with later. Marner and Nylander haven't looked back once in comparison

I think he got bad advice or took the negotiations a little bit personally too. Just too much noise about the feeling of not getting opportunity, better than Liljegren. When you air that kind of stuff out in public, it sets you up for a put up or shut up situation. Ideally, he would have come in and just blown the doors off to start the season, steal that job from Gio and never look back.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
One of the posts suggested anyone who doesn't accept the first offer is a hold-out.

So likely 50% of the league has held out. Heck, even ELC's can hold-out by demanding bonuses.

Heck, might be less than 10% of players who haven't been a hold-out.

To me, a holdout is a guy who misses games (including pre-season).

Reactions: Buds17

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
New interview with Sandin sheds some light on a couple of things:
-He did not request a trade, and was shocked to hear he was traded
-Part of the reason he didn't sign right away is because his mother was battling cancer and he wanted to be home with his family over the summer
-Dubas didn't really want to move him, but thought it would be best for the team and best for Sandin to get a new opportunity

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
New interview with Sandin sheds some light on a couple of things:
-He did not request a trade, and was shocked to hear he was traded
-Part of the reason he didn't sign right away is because his mother was battling cancer and he wanted to be home with his family over the summer
-Dubas didn't really want to move him, but thought it would be best for the team and best for Sandin to get a new opportunity
Basically they weren't going to play him and his value wasn't going to go up sitting in the press box. Not an ideal trade but is what it is, rip the bandaid off and let him go atleast attempt to reach his potential on a bad team that will force feed him minutes.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Today Sandin reported he was home because of mother's cancer treatment and did not wish to travel back and forth for signing deal.
What a frigging team, allowing the press and fans to think Sandin was a hold out.
Like AM injury, like Samsanov baby bs.

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
Today Sandin reported he was home because of mother's cancer treatment and did not wish to travel back and forth for signing deal.
What a frigging team, allowing the press and fans to think Sandin was a hold out.
Like AM injury, like Samsanov baby bs.
Lol don't you think it's a good thing that the team isn't leaking personal player information like that. If Sandin wanted it known he would have told the media.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Lol don't you think it's a good thing that the team isn't leaking personal player information like that. If Sandin wanted it known he would have told the media.
No I do not. Dubas could have easily deflected questions but said Sandin had agreed and delayed signing for travel. He allowed everyone to think Sandin pulled a Nylander.

Reactions: thewave

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No I do not. Dubas could have easily deflected questions but said Sandin had agreed and delayed signing for travel. He allowed everyone to think Sandin pulled a Nylander.
What are you even talking about? Dubas didn't badmouth Sandin at all, and it wasn't Dubas' right to discuss Sandin's mother's health.
Also, Sandin wouldn't have had to fly back and forth to sign earlier. He has an agent. And a phone. He signed while in Sweden.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
What are you even talking about? Dubas didn't badmouth Sandin at all, and it wasn't Dubas' right to discuss Sandin's mother's health.
Also, Sandin wouldn't have had to fly back and forth to sign earlier. He has an agent. And a phone. He signed while in Sweden.
Read the Sandin article.
Dubas allowed everyone to assume his future star dnan pulled a Nylander.
He did not have to mention his mother. But he could have easily deflected the assumptions the press made with a simple statement. Even on the way out the door the press and this forum commented on how the trade was because of his holdout.

Reactions: thewave and CDN24

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Read the Sandin article.
He did not have to mention his mother. But he could have easily deflected the assumptions the press made with a simple statement. Even on the way out the door the press and this forum commented on how the trade was because of his holdout.
Dubas is not responsible for what Toronto hockey media or this forum says, and it's not Dubas; fault if fans foolishly think that everything the media says is true.
The stuff with his mother is pretty irrelevant. Sandin could have easily signed. He didn't have to (and didn't) leave home to do so. There was obviously more to the lack of signing than that.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Dubas is not responsible for what Toronto hockey media or this forum says, and it's not Dubas; fault if fans foolishly think that everything the media says is true.
The stuff with his mother is pretty irrelevant. Sandin could have easily signed. He didn't have to (and didn't) leave home to do so. There was obviously more to the lack of signing than that.
Well, the only info in the public is Sandins. He responded to a question and said he and Dubas had no problem and hold up was mother's illness. He could have taken a shot, he did not.
So based on the known facts, you be incorrect my good man.
Difference is, I do not think Sandin is lying and you think Dubas silence means what you want it to mean.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just playing at a 102 point pace, no big deal.

Yes, but that's easy when you're playing 25 minutes a game. :sarcasm:

Oh, story is he wasn't a minus player last night ... so he wasn't playing for the Leafs. ;)

1679492761830.png

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just playing at a 102 point pace, no big deal.

He'll cool down quite a bit but still. There is probably a lot of unknowns regarding players on this team just based on Keefe's incompetence alone. Coaches like Keefe can't tap into hidden potential, he's not a good coach plain and simple.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Well, the only info in the public is Sandins. He responded to a question and said he and Dubas had no problem and hold up was mother's illness. He could have taken a shot, he did not.
So based on the known facts, you be incorrect my good man.
Difference is, I do not think Sandin is lying and you think Dubas silence means what you want it to mean.
I don't think Sandin lied. I'm sure his mother was having health difficulties, and I'm sure that was hard for him, but either he, the reporter, or you aren't telling the full story.
The "public information" we have is that Sandin has an agent negotiating for him, and Sandin signed while in Sweden. Fact is he could have signed at any point in the 4 month offseason.
What do you mean he could have taken a shot? A shot at what? Dubas has been nothing but complimentary and accommodating to Sandin.
You're the one attempting to arbitrarily attach meaning to things to somehow blame Dubas for the random speculation of you and others.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I don't think Sandin lied. I'm sure his mother was having health difficulties, and I'm sure that was hard for him, but either he, the reporter, or you aren't telling the full story.
The "public information" we have is that Sandin has an agent negotiating for him, and Sandin signed while in Sweden. Fact is he could have signed at any point in the 4 month offseason.
What do you mean he could have taken a shot? A shot at what? Dubas has been nothing but complimentary and accommodating to Sandin.
You're the one attempting to arbitrarily attach meaning to things to somehow blame Dubas for the random speculation of you and others.
I only said Dubas could have stopped months of speculations about one his players. He made a clear decision not to.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I only said Dubas could have stopped months of speculations about one his players. He made a clear decision not to.
I also think Dubas could have told the media Sandin was going through 4 months of personal issues. That definitely would have resolved any questions and built a strong bond between himself and the player he was negotiating with. The one who also could have informed the media with the exact messaging he wanted in the situation but opted not to.

At the end of the day, I dont think this was holdout related - we had a young asset unlikely to see time in the playoffs. We moved him before missing his second playoffs in a row as a HS. Moving on for both makes a lot of sense, even if i like him as a player

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Read the Sandin article.
Along with every trade out of thin air. If you're not hearing it first hand like from Sandins mouth. Then take alot of things with a grain of salt.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Along with every trade out of thin air. If you're not hearing it first hand like from Sandins mouth. Then take alot of things with a grain of salt.
A reasonable attitude - you don't belong here, do you?

The problem is that there are several posters who treat everything Dubas says as gospel, and just as many who disbelieve every utterance, and not one of either group will concede a point in a discussion.

Reactions: Its not your fault

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Or... hear me out... he allowed all the irrational fans and media to get upset over nothing.

Let Sandin discuss his personal issues on his own.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
It occurs to me that Gus could be brought to be in next years mix, possibly at less than than Sandin’s 23-24 salary.

Might not be a bad outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad