Prospect Info: San Jose Sharks Askarov Prospect Ranking Poll

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where does Askarov belong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
1. Macklin Celebrini ~95% (NR)
2. Will Smith ~90% (#1)
3. Sam Dickinson ~95% (NR)
4. Quentin Musty ~49% (#3)
5. Shakir Mukhamadullin ~77% (#4)
6. Igor Chernyshov ~39% (NR)
7. Filip Bystedt ~34% (#5)
8. David Edstrom ~54% (NR)
9. Kasper Halttunen ~69% (#11)
10. Daniil Gushchin ~23% (#8)

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
3 probably makes sense. A little riskier as a goalie but more developed as an older prospect while maintaining his position as one of the more touted goalie prospects in the world. Can't say I've watched many of his games but from some of the videos online, it looks like he mainly needs to work on his rebound control and maintaining his calm. I expect him to take on the starting role by the end of his 2x2 contract though and to be our starter for the next 8 years after that. Idk if he's a perrenial Vezina candidate but he should be a long term starter.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
3 probably makes sense. A little riskier as a goalie but more developed as an older prospect while maintaining his position as one of the more touted goalie prospects in the world. Can't say I've watched many of his games but from some of the videos online, it looks like he mainly needs to work on his rebound control and maintaining his calm. I expect him to take on the starting role by the end of his 2x2 contract though and to be our starter for the next 8 years after that. Idk if he's a perrenial Vezina candidate but he should be a long term starter.
I think he gets a sip of coffee in the nhl in the last 20 games assuming the sharks are long out of it. Grier will try to trade Blackwood and Vanecek. If he can move one, he’ll make the other the backup and Askarov will get the reins.

Then he’s the #1 guy in 2025.

All of this of course could change based on performance or attitude, but I think that’s why Grier signed the extension now. They are telling him that it’s his job to lose in 2025-26 and expecting him to star so he now can be highly motivated seeing a path to stardom and big $$$ ahead.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Also, hard to put him in front of Celebrini. He could be number two though as a star #1 goalie is worth more than a very good #2 center. Or maybe four behind dick, but I think dick has far more unknowns than Askarov.

Thankfully we have all three!! … can you smell Malkin, Crosby, fleury? Ok ok, maybe I’m a big overzealous there :)

Reactions: Baysick

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
4. Behind the big 3, only because he’s a goalie and they’re just so much harder to get a read on. Could end up the 2nd best of the pool, could also end up 20th best in 3 years.

Reactions: Cas

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
1. Macklin Celebrini ~95% (NR)
2. Will Smith ~90% (#1)
3. Sam Dickinson ~95% (NR)
4. Quentin Musty ~49% (#3)
5. Shakir Mukhamadullin ~77% (#4)
6. Igor Chernyshov ~39% (NR)
7. Filip Bystedt ~34% (#5)
8. David Edstrom ~54% (NR)
9. Kasper Halttunen ~69% (#11)
10. Daniil Gushchin ~23% (#8)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
After thinking about it and reading a bunch on Askarov, I'd have to say #3. My logic is as follows:

90%75%50%25%10%
AskarovFranchiseEliteStarterBackup3rd-string
DickinsonFranchise#2#3#4-5#6-7

Because he's shown that he can play in the AHL, Askarov has a higher floor and a shifted curve. At the extremes, I'd probably prefer Dickinson by a tiny bit (e.g. I'll take a franchise-caliber defenseman over a franchise-caliber goaltender). Still, I'd take most-case Askarov over most-case Dickinson.

Jul 10, 2010
I said 4. Most of the discussion on the announcement was "Obviously no Celebrini or Smith, and hopefully not Dickinson." Most were okay if it was Musty+small pick. So i Think that means Askaroc shouldnt be ahead of Dickinson, but likely more valuable than Musty

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I voted 5th at first, then looked at the list and was reminded of where and who was top 5. Changed it to 4th.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I had Dickinson as my 2nd D in the 2024 draft but didn't even hesitate to put Askarov above him. A potential elite G is veryyyy hard to find, and can be what stops some teams from actually contending. We'll see if he becomes that obviously, but the potential is there.

Dickinson is solid all around, but probably doesn't have elite 1D potential.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I had Dickinson as my 2nd D in the 2024 draft but didn't even hesitate to put Askarov above him. A potential elite G is veryyyy hard to find, and can be what stops some teams from actually contending. We'll see if he becomes that obviously, but the potential is there.

Dickinson is solid all around, but probably doesn't have elite 1D potential.

Yeah, I think Dickinson is going to make an amazing top pairing with our future star RD with Muhk and whoever covering the 2nd pairing. But hey, maybe he turns into Brent Burns, who knows.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
#5.
Not 3 or 4 because of his playoff performances - he played worse than Cooley and Grosenick in Milwaukee. It`s a concern. Especially for Sharks fans.
I hope he will fix it.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
He’s 5 at best and he’s not the best goalie prospect in the NHL. I’d put that on Wallstedt with the wild. I’d also say wolf and Levi are ahead of him

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad