• Joey Muldowney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artem Guryev

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'd disagree with 99th percentile and am not super familiar with Marchenko, but I get the gist of your argument.

It seems that even if things work out, Halttunen is trending toward becoming a productive player with bad underlying metrics. But Bystedt and Edstrom are more of the inverse.
These empty calorie snipers don't seem to hold much value around the league. Daniel Sprong is unemployed and Columbus can't give Laine away.

Reactions: DG93

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
These empty calorie snipers don't seem to hold much value around the league. Daniel Sprong is unemployed and Columbus can't give Laine away.
Halttunen just turned 19 so I'd say it's a little premature to act like his story is already written. A lot of prospects who transition from attacking-only projects to more complete (or at least playable, well-rounded enough) players do so only in their young 20s once they finally realize they have to change their game. Or they just, you know, start to grow up more.

That may or may not be Halttunen. If I were betting, I'd definitely put money on Edstrom having a longer NHL career. But the combination of potentially elite skill and good size is one that's really alluring for Halttunen.

Also, as we look at the ways in which the top prospects of this club may start to come together to form a nucleus, you're going to have room for a wide variety of players. Not everyone is going to have to have Celebrini's mentality to make it. Kevin Labanc was a pretty damn useful player for a time, when deployed with the right linemates in the right situations. It's just too bad that the guy who helped make it click for him was 39 years old and in his last productive season. Halttunen might find a situation that works for him with the Sharks, but with others who are more age-appropriate.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

I don't disagree with most of this thought but, at the end of the day, scoring the most goals is what wins games so a guy who can do it consistently (Sprong isn't and Laine lacks availability) will always have value to a well constructed team. Play a guy like Halttunen with guys who can overshadow his shortcomings (Celebrini, Eklund) and he brings value to this team if his production translates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad