Maple Leafs name Auston Matthews captain

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Tavares has been “heavily involved in the process with Treliving.” What does this mean? I thought “the process” was just stitching a C onto the jersey.
Don underestimate how complex a process stitching a letter onto a jersey is. It might involve up to two minimum wage workers. And Tavares will be there, every step of the way in stitching that letter. even if it takes thirty minutes.

Obvious damage-control move by the franchise. Attempt to deflect attention away from the fact that they're bringing back exactly the sane underachieving core... with only a stitched letter changing jerseys.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Again. Why is this being announced on a Wednesday in August? Why not at camp?

Seems very odd? Or is this normal?

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
This just shows that the C doesn’t really hold much weight anymore. I mean giving it to a guy that has no leadership qualities you want from a captain.

Yup. The NHL is cooked. On any given night you can't expect the players to actually play hard.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The only thing that could possibly be sweeter is if Captain Matthews up and leaves after his contract expires in a few years

Still clinging onto that dream huh?

I remember when people were so sure He'd be offer sheeted by Arizona.

Then a few years later everybody was positive he leave Toronto as a UFA and go home.

Now Arizona doesn't exist and people are 0/2 on him leaving.

Keep dreaming champ

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Still clinging onto that dream huh?

I remember when people were so sure He'd be offer sheeted by Arizona.

Then a few years later everybody was positive he leave Toronto as a UFA and go home.

Now Arizona doesn't exist and people are 0/2 on him leaving.

Keep dreaming champ

True. The Leafs have made it clear that overpaying Matthews is priority #1 in Toronto. If that loser ever decides that winning is important to him he'll leave, but we already know the cloth he is cut from.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
God this is amazing. Tavares would have been immortalized on Long Island. Now he has the legacy of the guy that went home, couldn’t lead the dream team to success in the playoffs or a cup, and to top it off he embarrassingly gets the “C” taken away.
Who cares about being immortalized by the Islanders?

How do you know any of that to be fact?
They don't. People here act like they know what happens in the room based on nothing.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Well, wasn't it 8 years ago when we told you so? I mean was that Tavares contract really worth it? It was a major mistake by Toronto to court the guy and I honestly think that lopsided contract cost you guys the ability to construct a balanced team. You should have had at least 2 Cups by now but only made it once past the first round under JT's leadership. Now you may never see a Cup. Too bad. Live and learn.

Reactions: HabsQC

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
So many NHL teams are run like garbage and filled to the brim with low IQ fools.

This mistake has been done numerous times. Scoring the most goals and/or points does not a leader make. How anyone in that organization can look at Matthews and feel he is leader shouldn't be in the position of making decisions anymore.

The only benefit of this move is for fans of other teams who enjoy crapping on Toronto. In other words, everyone else.

I disagree with this.

Matthews must have accepted the C (Captaincy)

So he must think he can live up to it. I would like to witness that.

BullyHockey

Dec 26, 2023
Its hilarious to see random HF users pretending like they know more about a player than the actual organization that interacts with him almost everyday of the year.

I always found the Captaincy to be one of the most overestimated things in hockey. At the end of the day, its doesn't matter if a 4th line center is wearing the letter, the only letters that matter are the "W"s in April.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Your phrasing was "as a fan of not the Leafs" which is kind of setting yourself up for the ridicule. It's like you're replacing the name of your favorite team with "not the Leafs". Clearly a Freudian slip as you apparently didn't notice.

It could also be that you're in every single Leafs topic lamely dumping on them with all the subtlety of a drunken uncle in a TSN Twitter thread.
They give me a TON of ammo to dump on though.

Everyone loves the low hanging fruit.

They should work on that

• Love
Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Again. Why is this being announced on a Wednesday in August? Why not at camp?

Seems very odd? Or is this normal?
Matthews has most likely just arrived back in town. Leading up to camp there will be marketing stuff(photos, etc) to be done, they’ll want the C on his shirt for that.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Its hilarious to see random HF users pretending like they know more about a player than the actual organization that interacts with him almost everyday of the year.

I always found the Captaincy to be one of the most overestimated things in hockey. At the end of the day, its doesn't matter if a 4th line center is wearing the letter, the only letters that matter are the "W"s in April.

Yeah. A lot of people have played team sports where team captains are a function of some kind of politics and the real leader(s) is someone else entirely.

In this case, it does feel like an effort to appear that theyre making meaningless changes hoping to appease the blue mob.

But another way to intetpret this is to ask whether this is mgt saying its the end of the big 4. Are they saying its Matthews and his supporting cast? Does this signal moving on from Tavares and Marner?

The thing thats creepy and weird about this is that mgt thinks its necessary to elaborate on Tavares' feelings. The guy is paid enough. Hes been in the game a long time. He should be a pro and the mentioning of his feelings just is over the top PC. Just say that you took him out for ice cream and now everything is ok.

Last edited:

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
They give me a TON of ammo to dump on though.

Everyone loves the low hanging fruit.

They should work on that
1000000476.jpg

Maple Leaf chickens always come home to roost.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
How the hell would you know?

But yeah, brilliant decision to give the captaincy to a guy who has never been the captain on any team he has played for at any level, and who has proven that personal accomplishments matter more to him than overall team success.
I hear ya.
But then again JT is captain everywhere he goes and his teams win squat.
TC didn't even medal at the Worlds last spring . Captain? Guess who.

Rielly would have been the better choice.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad