Maple Leafs name Auston Matthews captain

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Awesome, it's about time. JT is a great guy and all but he just doesn't have that influence and it was especially on display in the playoffs, need a guy the troops can rally around. Hopefully they'll make it more of a succession, rather than stripping JT, that would be awkward af.

Love the decision though.
If Matthews leadership was found lacking in the playoffs, i really doubt having a C pressed on his sweater changes anything.

Troops rally around individuals, not letters.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Morgan Rielly always seemed like the most natural captain on that team, but I guess the organisation feels it must please the rabid media sphere who are obsessed with this guy.

Yeah I had thought Rielly would get the C even before they handed it to Tavares - not surprised he's being overlooked again here though, Matthews is the top dog on the ice and there's really no question about that.

Time will tell if he's able to lead the Leafs any further than JT did.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Out of curiosity, just watching the press conference/announcement now. Even now, you just see this guy does not carry himself professionally. Leafs management all wearing suits and collared shirts and dress shoes for the announcement. Matthews wearing a suit jacket over a non collared shirt and running shoes and earrings. Even John Tavares, who is no longer the captain, is dressed in suit jacket, collared shirt and dress shoes. A true professional despite the I am sure awkwardness of relinquishing the captaincy. Sure, this doesn't speak to leadership of Matthews, but it just reinforces this guy is not a professional. Yes, him mooning that guard was years ago but lots of players (including Tavares) have not had these types of things happen to draw negative attention to themselves. Tavares has always carried himself maturely. Whether he should have been captain or not is debatable, but Matthews is not leadership material. How he attired himself today just buttresses that.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Out of curiosity, just watching the press conference/announcement now. Even now, you just see this guy does not carry himself professionally. Leafs management all wearing suits and collared shirts and dress shoes for the announcement. Matthews wearing a suit jacket over a non collared shirt and running shoes and earrings. Even John Tavares, who is no longer the captain, is dressed in suit jacket, collared shirt and dress shoes. A true professional despite the I am sure awkwardness of relinquishing the captaincy. Sure, this doesn't speak to leadership of Matthews, but it just reinforces this guy is not a professional. Yes, him mooning that guard was years ago but lots of players (including Tavares) have not had these types of things happen to draw negative attention to themselves. Tavares has always carried himself maturely. Whether he should have been captain or not is debatable, but Matthews is not leadership material. How he attired himself today just buttresses that.

He could wear a paper bag and he would be forgiven if he gets them through a few rounds.

Captains have press responsibilities, making new players feel comfortable, occasional speeches in the room, but ultimately all anyone cares about is Cup rings.

Reactions: Voight

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
He could wear a paper bag and he would be forgiven if he gets them through a few rounds.

Captains have press responsibilities, making new players feel comfortable, occasional speeches in the room, but ultimately all anyone cares about is Cup rings.
This is very true. Winning does wonders, for sure.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Leadership is defined by dress still? ?

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Press conference was very professional. Tavares spoke of how Matthews is ready and he fully supports this decision. He called Matthews in late July to let him know. You can tell they have a close relationship. No offence to John, he’s a great Captain. There needed to be a change, and this was always bound to happen with Matthews being the #1C/#1 Overall Pick/Franchise player. Also, Matthews reiterated his goal is to win a Cup in Toronto and stay the rest of his career here.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
How old are you? Style evolves over time, not everyone has to dress the same. Who cares.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Leadership is defined by dress still? ?
It's not, and I mention that in my post. But it does speak to professionalism.

Years ago at work, one of the VPs put down a mandate about one of the departments' attire. People were starting to dress in shorts and t shirts to the office. Were they capable of doing their jobs? Maybe, I don't know - it wasn't my department...but it was their Manager that started setting the precedence for how much more casual they were dressing. Clearly the VP eventually took exception. Personally, they should have never been allowed to wear t shirts and shorts to a corporate office in which clients visit. But that could just be me in my traditional shirt and tie.

The professionalism aspect in my view does bleed into a mindset about how you carry yourself. I am sure others will disagree and that's fine. I just noted that even Tavares who is no longer the captain was attired professionally even though he could have dressed like Matthews.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017

Years ago at work, one of the VPs put down a mandate about one of the departments' attire. People were starting to dress in shorts and t shirts to the office. Were they capable of doing their jobs? Maybe, I don't know - it wasn't my department...but it was their Manager that started setting the precedence for how much more casual they were dressing. Clearly the VP eventually took exception. Personally, they should have never been allowed to wear t shirts and shorts to a corporate office in which clients visit. But that could just be me in my traditional shirt and tie.

The professionalism aspect in my view does bleed into a mindset about how you carry yourself. I am sure others will disagree and that's fine. I just noted that even Tavares who is no longer the captain was attired professionally even though he could have dressed like Matthews.
Sure grandma let's get you to bed

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

Years ago yes.

If only you saw an office building with high-end clients in 2024.

Youd be disgusted with the amount of running shoes.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

I used to work for a major global tech company and the country manager would sometimes wear the same kind of look that Auston had on today - dress pants without a jacket or tie and clean white sneakers. Not everyone has to dress the same and who cares. He's in his 20s and that generation has a different style and outlook on things like this. The Leafs also give the players a bit more flexibility on how they dress for game days, and if they want Auston to his authentic self when he is captain, they aren't going to nitpick him for how he dressed today lol. Your example is also from 'years ago' which isn't really relevant to a young adult on a sports team. Athletes in other sports would dress the same if not more casually.

Reactions: Voight and NyQuil

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
This has always felt likes Matthews team. Happy to see him wear the C

it’s incredible reading some of these responses as if this is the most inappropriate and bizarre decision an organization could make.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I used to work for a major global tech and the country manager would sometimes wear the same kind of look that Auston had on today - dress pants without a jacket or tie and clean white sneakers. Not everyone has to dress the same and who cares. He's in his 20s and that generation has a different style and outlook on things like this. The Leafs also give the players a bit more flexibility on how they dress for game days, and if they want Auston to his authentic self when he is captain, they aren't going to nitpick him for how he dressed today lol. Your example is also from 'years ago' which isn't really relevant to a young adult on a sports team. Athletes in other sports would dress the same if not more casually.
Fair enough.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I used to work for a major global tech company and the country manager would sometimes wear the same kind of look that Auston had on today - dress pants without a jacket or tie and clean white sneakers. Not everyone has to dress the same and who cares. He's in his 20s and that generation has a different style and outlook on things like this. The Leafs also give the players a bit more flexibility on how they dress for game days, and if they want Auston to his authentic self when he is captain, they aren't going to nitpick him for how he dressed today lol. Your example is also from 'years ago' which isn't really relevant to a young adult on a sports team. Athletes in other sports would dress the same if not more casually.

Different work sectors are more or less conservative when it comes to dress code.

IT has always been one of the more liberal compared with finance for example.

I think athletes have been influenced a lot by their social media footprint which has an indelible link to their income and sponsorship opportunities.

It used to be that you didn’t want to stand out in a team sport. Now you definitely want to.

Considering how people make fun of hockey players for lack of personality, I don’t really have an issue with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad