Value of: Samuel Girard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Agreed at your last sentence but the other way around. A 20+ minute a night PMD, 23.5 years old, signed until 2027 for only 5m AAV vs a UFA 28(in 2 weeks) years old center who's likely going to get 9m+ AAV. If I'm the avalanche I move anybody not named mackinnon or makar(including rantanen) before I move Girard. His contract is one of the best bargains in the NHL.

I personally disagree. I think Byram will be better and I think Toews already is. There’s an argument for trading Toews instead of Girard, but I personally would prefer to keep Girard as we already have a lot of similar style players/prospects.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Agreed at your last sentence but the other way around. A 20+ minute a night PMD, 23.5 years old, signed until 2027 for only 5m AAV vs a UFA 28(in 2 weeks) years old center who's likely going to get 9m+ AAV. If I'm the avalanche I move anybody not named mackinnon or makar(including rantanen) before I move Girard. His contract is one of the best bargains in the NHL.
I think he does have a lot of value (although not nearly as much as you obviously feel )as a player. He's earned that on the ice. But he's not at all what the Sharks need nor would he help with the gapping hole at C the Sharks would have by trading him.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think he does have a lot of value (although not nearly as much as you obviously feel )as a player. He's earned that on the ice. But he's not at all what the Sharks need nor would he help with the gapping hole at C the Sharks would have by trading him.

I think Colorado has the assets to get Hertl right now (correct me if I’m wrong). Something like Newhook+Kaut+Compher+2023 first.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

He's entering his prime and has shown massive improvement since his holdout. He's also one of the Leafs who showed up in the playoffs. For a club with Makar, Bryam, Toews already a trade like this is excellent player management for a team lacking secondary scoring. Girard also got roosted in the playoffs. Colorado is looking to contend. This trade helps that more than it hurts it, that's why

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
LAK might be the most obvious with the extremely deep Forwards, with minimal DMen beyond Brandt-Clarke. AVs clear salary and add high end prospects. LAK could immediately insert a need for LHD and have the cap space to absorb the full deal.

Girard

for

Turcotte + Kaliyev or Kupari

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Colorado lacks forward depth in a big way and currently are icing a d-core of Makar, Byram, Girard, E. Johnson, Murray and J. Johnson, with Toews on IR. On top of that, the Avs also have J. Barron, Helleson and Behrens as potential future NHL players. Because of these reasons, Girard becomes expendable.

Girard currently has 6 years left at $5m per and provides great pick moving, offensive prowess and average defensive play. All in all I would say he’s a good #3 defenseman and at his best plays as a #2.

The Avs needs are at center, however if the right prospects were offered that could allow Sakic to use in some combination to go after a Hertl or Eichel I think it would benefit the team substantially.

So what is your best offer for Girard?

Why do the Avs need a center, Kadri is a decent 2C no?

Habs have a big need for an offensive Left D so there is a match there but not sure we have the chips to get this done because we are not trading Caufield

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
He's entering his prime and has shown massive improvement since his holdout. He's also one of the Leafs who showed up in the playoffs. For a club with Makar, Bryam, Toews already a trade like this is excellent player management for a team lacking secondary scoring. Girard also got roosted in the playoffs. Colorado is looking to contend. This trade helps that more than it hurts it, that's why

I would argue that Girard is younger, on a cheaper contract, that is longer termed and is in a more important position (imo) defense first winger and therefore has a higher value than Nylander. We can agree to disagree on value though.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017

Habs have a big need for an offensive Left D so there is a match there but not sure we have the chips to get this done because we are not trading Caufield

At this stage, Kadri is best served as a 3C. He doesn't bring the offensive output he did a few years ago (I know he has 4pts in 5 games right now) and when the big boys aren't producing, Colorado is basically relying on defensemen to generate offense at this point. Moving Kadri to a 3C role and inserting an offensive generator at 2C makes them extremely dangerous.. also helps someone like Newhook out.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

Kadri is an okay 2C, but an incredibly good 3C. If you have Kadri at 3C you have great center depth.

If Caufield is off the board, what assets aren’t? Ghirlandaio, Romanov, 2022 first, etc.? Could definitely be something there.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Kadri is an okay 2C, but an incredibly good 3C. If you have Kadri at 3C you have great center depth.

If Caufield is off the board, what assets aren’t? Ghirlandaio, Romanov, 2022 first, etc.? Could definitely be something there.

2022 1st can’t be traded due to the Arizona deal (Dvorak] but Romanov, Lekhonen (for cap reasons), a second and a b level prospect I would be very tempted

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
2022 1st can’t be traded due to the Arizona deal (Dvorak] but Romanov, Lekhonen (for cap reasons), a second and a b level prospect I would be very tempted

Basu is an idiot.

Montreal's other 1at can definitely be dealt, you just need the other team to accept the conditions that they won't get the higher 1st.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

You guys have Carolina’s first round pick, which is what I was referring to. Is there any interest in moving Drouin instead of Lekhonen or had his value rebounded?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You guys have Carolina’s first round pick, which is what I was referring to. Is there any interest in moving Drouin instead of Lekhonen or had his value rebounded?

Drouin has been our far and away best player so far.

Realistically his value isn't sky high by any means, but hab fans now will ask for a lot for no real reason.

Lehkonen is very good defensively, forechecks really hard and his offensive instinct/ finish is f***ing putrid.

If the avs need help on pk, or another player to help shutdown the opposition he would help.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal

No the deal with Arizona is that they get the best 1st between the Habs and Carolina 1st if they are both out of the top 10 and worst if one is in the top 10. Since this will only be determined at the end of the season the pick can’t be traded.

for Drouin he’s his value has rebounded. It could be done but not with wit removing Romanov for one of Harris, Norlinder or Struble

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Drouin has been our far and away best player so far.

Realistically his value isn't sky high by any means, but hab fans now will ask for a lot for no real reason.

Lehkonen is very good defensively, forechecks really hard and his offensive instinct/ finish is f***ing putrid.

If the avs need help on pk, or another player to help shutdown the opposition he would help.

No the deal with Arizona is that they get the best 1st between the Habs and Carolina 1st if they are both out of the top 10 and worst if one is in the top 10. Since this will only be determined at the end of the season the pick can’t be traded.

for Drouin he’s his value has rebounded. It could be done but not with wit removing Romanov for one of Harris, Norlinder or Struble

Ahh I see thank you for the clarification! I thought the condition was solely on the Habs first.

I just don’t think Romanov+ lesser assets quite does it. If it were: Romanov+Drouin+Lehkonen(50%) I think the Avs do it. As you said though, you wouldn’t want to move both.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I wouldn't expect the Sharks to make Hertl available unless they're out of playoff contention by the deadline. They're not a great team but they will probably be contend for a playoff spot. I'd love to add Girard without moving Hertl but it would probably be an offseason thing if we even had the assets that the Avs would want for him.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I wouldn't expect the Sharks to make Hertl available unless they're out of playoff contention by the deadline. They're not a great team but they will probably be contend for a playoff spot. I'd love to add Girard without moving Hertl but it would probably be an offseason thing if we even had the assets that the Avs would want for him.

I think Hertl or Meier would be the only realistic trade targets on the Sharks from an Avs perspective. I think a picks/prospects deal for Hertl at the deadline if he’s not signing and the Sharks aren’t in playoffs is the best play.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Ahh I see thank you for the clarification! I thought the condition was solely on the Habs first.

I just don’t think Romanov+ lesser assets quite does it. If it were: Romanov+Drouin+Lehkonen(50%) I think the Avs do it. As you said though, you wouldn’t want to move both.

Romanov, Drouin and Lekhonen at 50%, that is very tempting. I think Habs would do it.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think Hertl or Meier would be the only realistic trade targets on the Sharks from an Avs perspective. I think a picks/prospects deal for Hertl at the deadline if he’s not signing and the Sharks aren’t in playoffs is the best play.

Meier is similar in that it depends on if he wants to extend or not on if he is made available.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He’s spent most of his career playing RD but I think he’s back on the left this year.

That's not even remotely true. He's spent his entire career in Colorado as LD outside of occasional games due to injuries elsewhere in the lineup.

As for this thread, given his contract(5.5 more years at 5M cap hit) he is going to be insanely valuable. A Top pairing Dman signed to such a phenomenal contract for the entirety of his prime years is insanely valuable.

He almost certainly wont be traded but if he does, it will shock people at the return Colorado gets, in a flat cap world you're not going to find very many better contracts then what Girard brings.

The offers on the first page like JT Miller and Girard+++ for Eichel dont come close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad