Samsonov trash talking Ullmark in his instagram comments

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I still feel Samsonov has the ability to be a top goaltender even after seeing his sieve shit show the first half of last season. If he can get it together psychologically he has the physical prowess to be a NHL goalie.

He went on a heater after his 1 week mental health vacation last season that saw him put together 20 solid games and most were wins. It was admirable he could have folded and gone to Europe but he wants to stay in the best league in the world. He has the heart and passion to succeed but we know about his checkered past and instability. I will be keeping an eye on him in Vegas and wishing him well.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I still feel Samsonov has the ability to be a top goaltender even after seeing his sieve shit show the first half of last season. If he can get it together psychologically he has the physical prowess to be a NHL goalie.

He went on a heater after his 1 week mental health vacation last season that saw him put together 20 solid games and most were wins. It was admirable he could have folded and gone to Europe but he wants to stay in the best league in the world. He has the heart and passion to succeed but we know about his checkered past and instability. I will be keeping an eye on him in Vegas and wishing him well.
Samsonov might do better now he’s on a team that plays defensively sound.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
There’s a good chance that they are actually friends and chirping at each other publicly… it’s what I’d do to entertain myself.. watch the fans get over excited. Genuine intent or not it’s still fun to see.
If they were actually friends it's Ullmark who comes out as a bit of an ahole because of that interview. I doubt they are friends though

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
th.jpeg

Reactions: daver

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think Ullmark is overrated, but guess we'll find out this year what he's really made of.

Curious to know why you think he's overrated. I know many point to him only being good because he was playing in Boston, but if you exclude that one monster season, his final 2 years in Buffalo and 2 of his 3 years in Boston were pretty close

1723554658149.png

In his final two seasons with Buffalo he ranked T-16th in SV% & 19th in GSAA among all NHL goalies with at least 40 games played. You could make an argument that that he was actually underrated coming to Boston and was overlooked because he played for Buffalo.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Well, Ullmark was injured in his first playoff experience.
Ullmark
Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 9.58.14 AM.png

vs

Samsanov
Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 9.58.33 AM.png

They both suck in the playoffs.

Ullmark has been better overall, but I'm curious how he looks in Ottawa behind a terrible team.

Reactions: danny90

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I know, those stats you posted doesn't change that he was injured two seasons ago. He hasn't been great, but he's light years beyond Samsonov.

sure, so the most recent playoff stats show Samsanov > Ullmark.

I don't disagree that Ullmark is better, but he's still sucks in the playoffs and looked terrible this year.

• Haha
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Curious to know why you think he's overrated. I know many point to him only being good because he was playing in Boston, but if you exclude that one monster season, his final 2 years in Buffalo and 2 of his 3 years in Boston were pretty close

View attachment 900701

In his final two seasons with Buffalo he ranked T-16th in SV% & 19th in GSAA among all NHL goalies with at least 40 games played. You could make an argument that that he was actually underrated coming to Boston and was overlooked because he played for Buffalo.

I side with Gretzky when he says that you can't judge a goalie solely based on the stats. In my opinion, there are a handful of goalies in the league that are truly elite and then the next tier of +/- 20 guys could all flourish in the right situation. A lot of people anointed Ullmark elite based on his years in Boston, but he didn't get it done in the playoffs and his numbers may have been a product of playing behind a very strong team. If he can have a strong showing this year in Ottawa then I'll give him more credit. As a Blues fan I saw Elliott and Halak put up absurd numbers playing behind those Hitchcock defensive teams and no one was claiming that either guy was an elite goalie.

So I'm not saying Ullmark is bad, but I also question if he's as good as many fans seem to think he is. Ullmark's numbers last year look good, but they were basically the same as Talbot and Daccord. The year Ullmark had the absurd .938 sv% Gustavsson had .931. I don't think Gustavsson is as good as Ullmark but it shows that even average goalies can put up great numbers in the right situation. Ullmark's last year in BUF he had solid numbers as you pointed out, but basically the same as Merzlikins and worse than Campbell that same season.

Admittedly it's hard to quantify goalies, but I just think there is a narrative that Ullmark is an elite goalie when I haven't seen enough to believe that. However, if he can string together a few more good years and maybe have some playoff success then I'll give him all the credit.

Reactions: LiseL

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Ullmark
View attachment 900734

vs

Samsanov
View attachment 900735

They both suck in the playoffs.

Ullmark has been better overall, but I'm curious how he looks in Ottawa behind a terrible team.
He started out his career on the Sabres, so it's not like he's new to playing behind terrible teams.

I'd be more interested in seeing how he handles a full-time starter's load. He has never played more than 50 games in a regular season.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Hahaha oh man, I came here wanting to defend Samsonov, but goddamn man- “shut the f*** lil dick” has been topped. “Keep your ass shut” is just so.. hilariously wrong. And maybe there’s a language thing, but then you should double check even more.

Hahaha what a quote.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I side with Gretzky when he says that you can't judge a goalie solely based on the stats. In my opinion, there are a handful of goalies in the league that are truly elite and then the next tier of +/- 20 guys could all flourish in the right situation. A lot of people anointed Ullmark elite based on his years in Boston, but he didn't get it done in the playoffs and his numbers may have been a product of playing behind a very strong team. If he can have a strong showing this year in Ottawa then I'll give him more credit. As a Blues fan I saw Elliott and Halak put up absurd numbers playing behind those Hitchcock defensive teams and no one was claiming that either guy was an elite goalie.

So I'm not saying Ullmark is bad, but I also question if he's as good as many fans seem to think he is. Ullmark's numbers last year look good, but they were basically the same as Talbot and Daccord. The year Ullmark had the absurd .938 sv% Gustavsson had .931. I don't think Gustavsson is as good as Ullmark but it shows that even average goalies can put up great numbers in the right situation. Ullmark's last year in BUF he had solid numbers as you pointed out, but basically the same as Merzlikins and worse than Campbell that same season.

Admittedly it's hard to quantify goalies, but I just think there is a narrative that Ullmark is an elite goalie when I haven't seen enough to believe that. However, if he can string together a few more good years and maybe have some playoff success then I'll give him all the credit.

The word "elite" is thrown around way to much. On top of that, everyone's definition of "elite" is different. I personally wouldn't considered Ullmark elite, but I also feel like you need to be in the top 5% in your position to be considered elite.

Reactions: Reality Czech

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Samsonov might do better now he’s on a team that plays defensively sound.
Pretty dumb comment, the best season of Samsonov's NHL career came from playing for a defensively responsible team in the 22-23 season. The Leafs were in the top 1/3 of the league that year in limiting shots and scoring chances. Still sucked in playoffs and then had a disaster of a year most of last season.

His fundamentals are simply poor.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Pretty dumb comment, the best season of Samsonov's NHL career came from playing for a defensively responsible team in the 22-23 season. The Leafs were in the top 1/3 of the league that year in limiting shots and scoring chances. Still sucked in playoffs and then had a disaster of a year most of last season.

His fundamentals are simply poor.
High danger chances is where he struggled. He will see a lot less of those now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad