Prospect Info: Samkow Memorial HFCBJ 2024 Summer Prospect Rankings: #2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which of these 5 prospects is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Vote for the best prospect from the above poll (listed alphabetically) and post who you think should be added from the full (remaining) list below. Criteria is that they are under 25 and haven't spent the majority of a season in the NHL. (This criteria may not match any particular service's/outlet's, or anyone's here who makes a list. Be that as it may...) Yes, there was some discussion on the inclusion of a few key young players, and this is the list we've arrived at.

Notes:
1) We've made every effort to have the full prospect list as accurate as possible. If you have quibbles with the list, or if you feel like we've left someone off, please shoot me a PM and we'll see if it needs to be fixed. "Graduates" from last year's list, and players no longer in the organization, include:
Tyler Angle (C) (unranked)
Ben Boyd (C) (unranked)
Jacob Christiansen (D) (#19)
Joshua Dunne (C) (unranked)
Adam Fantilli (C) (#1)
Trey Fix-Wolansky (RW) (HM)
Robbie Stucker (RD) (HM)
Daniil Tarasov (G) (#9)
Calvin Thurkauf (C/LW) (unranked)
Dmitri Voronkov (C) (#4)

2) There are no set guidelines to determine how you vote. Peak potential, likelihood of NHL career, pathway to playing time, expectations based on draft status -- any/all of these can be used at your discretion. There is no right/wrong way to vote.

3) There was some discussion on the first five. That said, we didn't fuss too much about it because you all can "fix" it in the add voting. Those five don't have to be the top five, if we get a player added and then enough posters vote for him in the subsequent poll.

4) Each poll is open for two days. We will do our best to keep these going with a fresh poll every other day, but pre-apologies if we miss one here or there, or opt to delay one over a Sunday or something like that.

The list so far:
1. Cayden Lindstrom (C)

Select your add from the list below (again, please let me know if there are corrections).
Luke Ashton (LD)
Ole Julian Bjorgvik-Holm (LD)
Cameron Butler (RW)
Corson Ceulemans (RD)
Cole Clayton (RD)
Luca Del Bel Belluz (C)
Kirill Dolzhenkov (RW)
James Fisher (RW/MOD)
Evan Gardner (G)
Jet Greaves (G)
Tanner Henricks (RD)
Aidan Hreschuk (LD)
Sergei Ivanov (G)
Oiva Keskinen (C)
Samuel Knazko (LD)
Nolan Lalonde (G)
Nikolai Makarov (LD)
James Malatesta (LW)
Luca Marrelli (RD)
Max McCue (C)
Hunter McKown (C)
Tyler Peddle (C)
Luca Pinelli (C)
Mikael Pyyhtia (LW)
Guillaume Richard (LD)
Martin Rysavy (LW)
Melvin Strahl (G)
Andrew Strathman (LD)
Stanislav Svozil (LD)
William Whitelaw (C)

Added: Jordan Dumais (RW)

Add votes (as of ABGTC):
Greaves - 13
Malatesta - 5
Svozil - 3
Ivanov - 3
LDBB - 2

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm more a fan of CBJ than the NHL to be honest so I'm probably just wrong, but I thought having 5-6 prospects worth getting excited about was pretty deep.
I'd agree if the 5th & 6th guys were the quality of the top 3 or at least close. Part of the problem I think is that Fantilli, Johnson, Chinakhov, Sillinger are already in the league. If some or all of them were still prospects I'd say our prospect pool is deep. To be honest I.will probably stop voting after #3.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'd agree if the 5th & 6th guys were the quality of the top 3 or at least close. Part of the problem I think is that Fantilli, Johnson, Chinakhov, Sillinger are already in the league. If some or all of them were still prospects I'd say our prospect pool is deep. To be honest I.will probably stop voting after #3.

I'm in the same boat... my knowledge of these guys goes from "some to none" after the first handful and my vote would be completely uninformed. So I don't.

I know there are rules about who's a prospect and who's not, but in my mind Johnson, and especially Fantilli, are still prospects :laugh:

Reactions: EspenK

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
As an outsider I am surprised at the preference for Mateychuk over Jiricek.

Jiricek was a teenager in the NHL season and availed himself pretty well for the most part; I'd have been very surprised if Mateychuk looked any better. Yeah, he might have piled up more assists, but his game is still very much a "junior" style, which would have gotten exposed pretty badly IMO.

Mateychuk strikes me as undersized offensive dman who has a lot of really good skills, but is not really elite in any of those skills.
  • He's a good skater, but I'm not sure if it's good enough to create separation vs NHL defenders
  • He's got a good shot, but lacks the elite shot from the blue line that other top QBs often have, which will could limit his ability to contribute offensively
  • He has good puck control, but he's not a dynamic puck carrier
And as a smaller guy who isn't great defensively, I question projecting him ahead of a guy like Jiricek, who already has the size and shot to be an impact NHL defenseman even if he stagnates.

Mateychuk does have incredible vision, which can make up for a lot of things, but there's risk there.
As a long time vocal Ryan Murray fan, and a fanbase that saw what an impact a “stabilizing” player like that can make, after watching what the CBJ team/defense has turned into and played the last few years, people very well might be looking at and ranking Mateychuk higher for these reasons and qualities.

Also seems you are focusing on Jiricek’s strengths, while at the same time focusing on Mateychuk’s weaknesses. The problem currently is that the “small”/“junior” player is better at defense than the guy already playing in the NHL. And we don’t know when either guy will be ready to play next to Werenski, if ever, really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad