Atlantic Standings Predictions Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Anyways, no one in Toronto wants Marner to stay that badly. We don't care he is an elite player, we have Matthews and Willy and his deal needs to make sense. To be honest him and Nylander are pretty comparable players these days. Marner is better defensively but Nylander is better offensively.

That's why he does not deserve 3M more than Nylander. Makes no sense.

You don't get it amigo. Most Leafs fans were completely cool with trading Marner however Management and Ownership don't want to, at all. Say what you want but TML's core 4 bring in a solid stream of predictable income and trading one doesn't guarantee playoff success and is therefore to be avoided.

Corporations like steady reliable revenue which the Core 4 bring in. If MLSE calculates that Marner at 14 AAV means they can get 3-4 Home Game revenue in the playoffs then they'll give him just that.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
From the previous season to last season, Detroit was +38 in goals, Nashville was +43, Colorado +28, Arizona +31. Scoring changes substantially for some teams every year – there's your historic context. Montreal's roster is very young and improving each season. They're as likely to take the next step as any upward-trending team.

That's great if you ignore scoring going up from the year before. If you think Montreal is going to finish top 5 in goals (or whatever scoring 'a lot' of goals is) this upcoming uear, then go right ahead. You'll be wrong and quote me on that in May if you want. Lol

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
You don't get it amigo. Most Leafs fans were completely cool with trading Marner however Management and Ownership don't want to, at all. Say what you want but TML's core 4 bring in a solid stream of predictable income and trading one doesn't guarantee playoff success and is therefore to be avoided.

Corporations like steady reliable revenue which the Core 4 bring in. If MLSE calculates that Marner at 14 AAV means they can get 3-4 Home Game revenue in the playoffs then they'll give him just that.

More like there wasn't a deal out there that made them better + was a location Marner would agree to waive for so they didn't ask to not sour the relationship. To trade Marner we would need basically a package better than what the Sharks got for Timo Meier and some of the prospects would need to be NHL ready.

Only teams doing that are maybe teams like the Sabres or Wings who are exiting a rebuild and want to make playoffs.. Except those teams don't need wingers and are also in the division.

All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if management let Marner walk over paying a ransom to keep him. Leafs are probably better with Matthews + Nylander + Knies and Cowan making Marner's money than with the core 4. Would be able to afford defense and goaltending

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
More like there wasn't a deal out there that made them better + was a location Marner would agree to waive for so they didn't ask to not sour the relationship. To trade Marner we would need basically a package better than what the Sharks got for Timo Meier and some of the prospects would need to be NHL ready.

Only teams doing that are maybe teams like the Sabres or Wings who are exiting a rebuild and want to make playoffs.. Except those teams don't need wingers and are also in the division.

All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if management let Marner walk over paying a ransom to keep him. Leafs are probably better with Matthews + Nylander + Knies and Cowan making Marner's money than with the core 4. Would be able to afford defense and goaltending
Taking Tavares and Marner off the team all of a sudden leaves you with a very lacklustre forward group.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Taking Tavares and Marner off the team all of a sudden leaves you with a very lacklustre forward group.

I wouldn't say so. Leafs thankfully have kids coming who look legit or have just established themselves but still young and developing. This year Knies is 22, Robertson 23, Cowan 19, Minten 20, Grenenkin 21, and then guys like Holmberg who have established themselves as solid NHL players. I am not worried about the forwards outside of the future 2nd line C but I think that can be addressed if it gets too bad.

Now on D, that is a problem. Almost nothing coming outside of a few guys who don't project as top end guys and the average age being over 30. Not getting some help in this area would be the biggest failure of not moving Marner.

Goaltending also looks pretty deep. Woll, Hildebeast, AA all look legit

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I’m not overly optimistic on the Habs chance but…on betting sites, odds for playoffs were:

Detroit 2:1
Sens 1.8:1
Habs 8.5:1

I think these odds are ridiculous. Went long 250$ there, Habs are going to have a killer start, mark my words, I’m closing this bet 2:1 by end of November. They’ll falter in the second half.
What does Vegas know! You know better because Montreal is your favorite team.

People are sleeping on the Habs. The additions of Laine, Hutson and a healthy Dach might take them to the playoffs. They've had a steady progression, getting more points every season from 55 to 68, to 76 and did this despite a boatload of injuries. The additions will help mitigate injuries and bolster the lineup, including more young players getting closer to be ready for the NHL, like Mailloux, Reinbacher and Beck, to help mitigate injuries further. They could potentially end-up with around 85 to 90 points, bringing them closer to the playoffs.
No expectations! Montreals young players are also the only ones to improve and they were the only team that had injuries. Didnt ya know!

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I wouldn't say so. Leafs thankfully have kids coming who look legit or have just established themselves but still young and developing. This year Knies is 22, Robertson 23, Cowan 19, Minten 20, Grenenkin 21, and then guys like Holmberg who have established themselves as solid NHL players. I am not worried about the forwards outside of the future 2nd line C but I think that can be addressed if it gets too bad.

Now on D, that is a problem. Almost nothing coming outside of a few guys who don't project as top end guys and the average age being over 30. Not getting some help in this area would be the biggest failure of not moving Marner.

Goaltending also looks pretty deep. Woll, Hildebeast, AA all look legit
This is very optimistic about the outcomes of these prospects.

Taking a 100 point forward and a quality 2C off your core and hoping it can simply be replaced from a below average prospect pool is overly optimistic.

More than likely, you're looking at trying to find another 2C to replace tavares. And based on what the UFA market looks like (Elias Lindholm contract), that's gonna be an 8 mill AAV+ bag for a guy who's worse than Tavares. (and just a heads up, Tavares is probably the best available center this coming offseason).

Either that or you're making a trade. And Toronto does not exactly have the trade capital to go and get a 2C.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Taking a 100 point forward and a quality 2C off your core and hoping it can simply be replaced from a below average prospect pool is overly optimistic.

More than likely, you're looking at trying to find another 2C to replace tavares. And based on what the UFA market looks like (Elias Lindholm contract), that's gonna be an 8 mill AAV+ bag for a guy who's worse than Tavares. (and just a heads up, Tavares is probably the best available center this coming offseason).

Either that or you're making a trade. And Toronto does not exactly have the trade capital to go and get a 2C.

It's not optimistic? Leafs have never had issues developing forwards. They are just playing for other teams because we could never afford to keep them. Leafs can afford to keep them now. And they for sure have the ability to trade for a 2C if it comes to that.

If you are trying to argue that a team with 2 superstars looks worse on paper than a team with 4 then sure I guess. But the 4 hasn't worked. The offense will still be deep enough. Last year Matthews ran his own line and scored 70 goals finding chemistry with Domi and Nylander carried the 2nd line.

I am suggesting going from the 1st or 2nd best offensive team to the 5th or 6th but going from 15-20 defensive to top 8 might be a better balance.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Pretty much everyone acknowledges the top 4 and bottom 4 divide, at least in past years.

I think the real question is whether or not this is the year someone shakes out of that top group.

Leafs are banking a whole lot on Woll and Tanev. That's a risk. BOS doesn't even have Swayman signed and some feel like they overachieved last year. They're a risk. TB has been falling off a bit, and now they move Sergachev. If nothing else they're a question mark. FLA looks too strong to falter, but crazier things have happened.

Would be fun to see a real turnover, whether this year or not, where multiple teams fall out and multiple teams take the next step. I think it's coming in the next few years.

Reactions: HabzSauce and SNES

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It's not optimistic? Leafs have never had issues developing forwards. They are just playing for other teams because we could never afford to keep them. Leafs can afford to keep them now. And they for sure have the ability to trade for a 2C if it comes to that.

If you are trying to argue that a team with 2 superstars looks worse on paper than a team with 4 then sure I guess. But the 4 hasn't worked. The offense will still be deep enough. Last year Matthews ran his own line and scored 70 goals finding chemistry with Domi and Nylander carried the 2nd line.
Matthews had mitch marner on his line.
Nylander had john tavares as his center.

Pretending those 2 didn't help contribute to the teams success is delusion.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I am suggesting going from the 1st or 2nd best offensive team to the 5th or 6th but going from 15-20 defensive to top 8 might be a better balance.
Last year Matthews played 522 minutes with Knies and one of Marner/Nylander.

Next highest was 147 minutes with Bertuzzi and Domi.
Regular season

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
That's great if you ignore scoring going up from the year before. If you think Montreal is going to finish top 5 in goals (or whatever scoring 'a lot' of goals is) this upcoming uear, then go right ahead. You'll be wrong and quote me on that in May if you want. Lol
"Top 5 in goals"??

I didn't say anything like that. I said Montreal will likely take the next step in their upward trend. Either respond to what was actually said or kindly don't respond.

Reactions: viceroy

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

JT is slow as shit and getting slower. In the playoffs you need speed. If they replace him with a younger, faster, guy they are better off. Maybe then they can go deep into the playoffs. Isles had no issues to replace a prime aged JT. They had deep playoff runs right after losing him.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
JT is slow as shit and getting slower. In the playoffs you need speed. If they replace him with a younger, faster, guy they are better off. Maybe then they can go deep into the playoffs. Isles had no issues to replace a prime aged JT. They had deep playoff runs right after losing him.
Who are they going to get to play 2C for then that is younger, faster, and puts up 60-80 points? It's not like guys like that are readily available, and they usually cost quite a bit to acquire.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Matthews had mitch marner on his line.
Nylander had john tavares as his center.

Pretending those 2 didn't help contribute to the teams success is delusion.

Tavares is not anything special at this point. Good player not elite, Nylander drove that line. Marner was off of Matthews line from end of Feb onwards

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Who are they going to get to play 2C for then that is younger, faster, and puts up 60-80 points? It's not like guys like that are readily available, and they usually cost quite a bit to acquire.

Who says we need a 2C to put up 80 points? Why do fans think we want to remake this exact team build? The whole point is moving away from 4 big forwards and having our #1 C and W and a deeper forward group + an actual defense

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You know your case is weak when you quote Vegas odds.
Yeah the professional handicappers dont know a thing! You know better! Montreal who finished 5th last with some of the best goaltending in the NHL who added an enigmatic Patrick Laine are a powerhouse ready to destroy the strongest division. This is far more likely an outcome. Sounds like easy money for you just take the over of 76.5 points and you can laugh yourself all the way to the bank!

Reactions: SNES

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
The Leafs aren't going anywhere without Marner. And who will be their #2 center ?

If the Leafs lose Marner, Matthews will want out. Why tf would he stay on a team without their second best player.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yeah the professional handicappers dont know a thing! You know better! Montreal who finished 5th last with some of the best goaltending in the NHL who added an enigmatic Patrick Laine are a powerhouse ready to destroy the strongest division. This is far more likely an outcome. Sounds like easy money for you just take the over of 76.5 points and you can laugh yourself all the way to the bank!
"Some of the best goaltending in the NHL"?? Lol... that and quoting Vegas odds sums up the value of your opinion.

Imagine whatever fairytale makes you happy. There's no point arguing with someone's wishful thinking.

RI.B FAN

Jul 14, 2002
JAMESTOWN RI
Visit site
Pretty much everyone acknowledges the top 4 and bottom 4 divide, at least in past years.

I think the real question is whether or not this is the year someone shakes out of that top group.

Leafs are banking a whole lot on Woll and Tanev. That's a risk. BOS doesn't even have Swayman signed and some feel like they overachieved last year. They're a risk. TB has been falling off a bit, and now they move Sergachev. If nothing else they're a question mark. FLA looks too strong to falter, but crazier things have happened.

Would be fun to see a real turnover, whether this year or not, where multiple teams fall out and multiple teams take the next step. I think it's coming in the next few years.
The Man can dream!!!

Reactions: Canadienna

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
What does Vegas know! You know better because Montreal is your favorite team.

Vegas is just the average of gamblers’ opinions and it often massively overweight the status quo. I’ve been short Habs plenty of time for the opposite reason, market overweighting a previously good season (especially in the 2010s).

Also, why the condescending tone? Going on the main board to pick a fight is a bit childish, don’t you think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad