Atlantic Standings Predictions Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
"Top 5 in goals"??

I didn't say anything like that. I said Montreal will likely take the next step in their upward trend. Either respond to what was actually said or kindly don't respond.

No - you replied to what I said. I then replied to that. The discussion was regarding 'Montreal scoring a lot of goals'. Just because you're reply didn't align with the previously established context, doesn't suddenly change what was already being discussed.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
"Some of the best goaltending in the NHL"?? Lol... that and quoting Vegas odds sums up the value of your opinion.

Imagine whatever fairytale makes you happy. There's no point arguing with someone's wishful thinking.
You are literally arguing with Vegas not someone's wishful thinking. Montreal had some of the best advanced analytics in goaltending last year. Another fact. The only one wishing right now is you.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Vegas is just the average of gamblers’ opinions and it often massively overweight the status quo. I’ve been short Habs plenty of time for the opposite reason, market overweighting a previously good season (especially in the 2010s).

Also, why the condescending tone? Going on the main board to pick a fight is a bit childish, don’t you think?
I simply stated the odds of the experts and was told it wasnt a reliable source. I tried using facts and other ways to discuss but it always comes back with something to the effect of 'i just hate montreal' which isnt wrong but thats not why I am making my evaluation. I dislike Toronto equally as much and believe they are the favorites in the division. Why because thats what the facts point to. They finally addressed their D core and their players are in their primes and have proven they are a strong regular season team. Montreal overachieved behind their goaltending last year and were still 5th last, they added Laine.... Which they got a 2nd round pick to take. There is no reason to think they are going to take a monumental step in a very tough division. Then you look at the roster in its entirety and its the weakest in the division. Last year they had no expectations that wont be the case this year. Its an added level of pressure the young players have not had. It doesnt always work out so well for young teams in the NHL. Its a very good league.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Can't really make any bold predictions. I'm mostly interested in the bottom four teams and where they go, as I think it is a more compelling story. I think you can mostly expect the top four to be pretty good in the regular season, especially Boston and Florida.

Detroit, based on track record, was closer to Tampa than they were to the rest of the group. Ottawa probably did the best job patching up the more obvious holes in their lineup, and shouldn't have the same circus around them this year. Montreal I think could be a sneaky candidate to make some noise. Buffalo is the only team I struggle to be optimistic about, even though they have some great young talent.

Feels like some of these groups need to take steps this year after falling short and being mostly through the pains of a rebuild.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Can't really make any bold predictions. I'm mostly interested in the bottom four teams and where they go, as I think it is a more compelling story. I think you can mostly expect the top four to be pretty good in the regular season, especially Boston and Florida.

Detroit, based on track record, was closer to Tampa than they were to the rest of the group. Ottawa probably did the best job patching up the more obvious holes in their lineup, and shouldn't have the same circus around them this year. Montreal I think could be a sneaky candidate to make some noise. Buffalo is the only team I struggle to be optimistic about, even though they have some great young talent.

Feels like some of these groups need to take steps this year after falling short and being mostly through the pains of a rebuild.

But still only one of them will make it, if any. Tough sledding.

Reactions: The Management

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Play off teams :
Panthers
Bruins
Rangers
Bolts
Canes
Devils
Leafs
Wings

Threatening for wild card and just miss :
Sens
Caps
Islanders
Flyers

Schedule fillers :
Pens
Jackets
Sabres
Habs

Reactions: OldCraig71

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Dunno about Buffalo. A return to Ruff might just be what they need.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
JT is slow as shit and getting slower. In the playoffs you need speed. If they replace him with a younger, faster, guy they are better off. Maybe then they can go deep into the playoffs. Isles had no issues to replace a prime aged JT. They had deep playoff runs right after losing him.
If you think you are going to find a better center than what John Tavares has been for cheap you will be sorely mistaken.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You are literally arguing with Vegas not someone's wishful thinking. Montreal had some of the best advanced analytics in goaltending last year. Another fact. The only one wishing right now is you.
Nobody seriously uses Vegas odds. It's a poor way to evaluate team strength. And this thing about Montreal's great goaltending is the icing on the cake.

Like I said, make any ridiculous prediction you want.... it has no effect on reality.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Vegas is just the average of gamblers’ opinions and it often massively overweight the status quo. I’ve been short Habs plenty of time for the opposite reason, market overweighting a previously good season (especially in the 2010s).

Also, why the condescending tone? Going on the main board to pick a fight is a bit childish, don’t you think?
Vegas lines are created using large amounts of statistical analysis and data.

Reactions: bert

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
No - you replied to what I said. I then replied to that. The discussion was regarding 'Montreal scoring a lot of goals'. Just because you're reply didn't align with the previously established context, doesn't suddenly change what was already being discussed.
You claimed teams don't score a lot more goals from one season to the next, based on history. I showed examples that, in fact, they do. Reply to what was actually said

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Looks like Montreal would like to be “In the mix” so they are done rebuilding.

Yep, I think it mimics where most of the fanbase feels we're at as well.

Personally I think the Habs are just entering the hardest part of building a contender. I see a big gap between finishing the "rebuild" and contending for a cup, but some don't so we argue semantics of the term rebuild.

Habs have made a crazy number of draft picks and traded for a crazy amount of prospects/young talent in the last 3 years. If they did well (which remains to be seen) there's easily enough pieces to build on from here - but that will take years to determine.

"Ending the rebuild" sure, but still plenty of unknowns and likely a long road ahead.

Reactions: HabzSauce

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
You claimed teams don't score a lot more goals from one season to the next, based on history. I showed examples that, in fact, they do. Reply to what was actually said

Now you're wrong twice a row. I claimed it to be unusual, which it is. Cherry picking stats from a year where scoring went up doesn't change that fact (not to mention none of the teams even hit the higher mark I mentioned). You don't seem to even understand what you're supporting or defending, and you don't have much of a point.

I said what I did, to support the idea that Montreal will not 'score a lot of goals this year'. A context you ignored entirely and co to use to do. It's all in the original post you quoted me on, yet you continue to make inaccurate accusations as if you didn't understand the words written in plain English.

You either think Montreal will 'score a lot of goals' this year, which has next to no supporting evidence.. or you dont.. which is what an informed prediction will lead anyone to. I'm prepared to bet on it. I'll quit HF if Montreal finishes top 5 in goals-for this year. If they don't, you quit. My prediction is you won't take it, and you'll claim ignorance to the topic of this particular discussion - despite replying to a quote where I literally said:

"Theres no hard definition regarding a team scoring 'a lot of goals', but finishing bottom half of the league is certainly doesn't qualify (The Habs were 26th). Most would probably say top-5 or maybe top-10 but it will vary. Assuming scoring stays the same as last year, the Habs would need to up their goals total by 56".

Reactions: bert

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
What does Vegas know! You know better because Montreal is your favorite team.

No expectations! Montreals young players are also the only ones to improve and they were the only team that had injuries. Didnt ya know!
So if one team loses 100 man games to injury then it has the same effect as another team that loses 600 man games? This is argument you have made

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Now you're wrong twice a row. I claimed it to be unusual, which it is. Cherry picking stats from a year where scoring went up doesn't change that fact (not to mention none of the teams even hit the higher mark I mentioned). You don't seem to even understand what you're supporting or defending, and you don't have much of a point.

I said what I did, to support the idea that Montreal will not 'score a lot of goals this year'. A context you ignored entirely and co to use to do. It's all in the original post you quoted me on, yet you continue to make inaccurate accusations as if you didn't understand the words written in plain English.

You either think Montreal will 'score a lot of goals' this year, which has next to no supporting evidence.. or you dont.. which is what an informed prediction will lead anyone to. I'm prepared to bet on it. I'll quit HF if Montreal finishes top 5 in goals-for this year. If they don't, you quit. My prediction is you won't take it, and you'll claim ignorance to the topic of this particular discussion - despite replying to a quote where I literally said:

"Theres no hard definition regarding a team scoring 'a lot of goals', but finishing bottom half of the league is certainly doesn't qualify (The Habs were 26th). Most would probably say top-5 or maybe top-10 but it will vary. Assuming scoring stays the same as last year, the Habs would need to up their goals total by 56".
That maybe doable. They will (health permitting} get 20 to 40 out of the first line. They actually will have a second line this year so add something similar. Lane Hutson on the back end will be fun to watch.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Thanks for the novella. A very very long excuse for a very very weak argument.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

He's just being the typical little brother.

Try reading what was actually written.
He can't do that.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Remember when Leaf fans said Murray was a great pickup?

Or Brodie was a great trade for Kadri?

Or Tavares made them the top cup contender ?

Or Dermott/Percy/Gardiner/Zaitsev were all great top 4D leading a strong D?

Bertuzzi would score 30+

Robertson was an untouchable prospect?

We all remember this.

Come on. The Murray trade was widely hated especially when the cap hit was confirmed.

Brodie was a FA and was great for them til two springs ago. Not sure what happened to him.

Tavares did make them cup contenders. Just a game 7 short each year.

Barely remember those guys less the proclamation.

Yeah. I thought Bertuzzi would get 30. Disappointing

Untouchable? Silly. Hoped he would be better. Jury still out.
The Leafs aren't going anywhere without Marner. And who will be their #2 center ?

If the Leafs lose Marner, Matthews will want out. Why tf would he stay on a team without their second best player.
Just my opinion but many of my fellow leaf fans are out to lunch if they think losing Marner makes this team better. It’s Tavares money that needs to get reallocated in the off season.

Habs will be better this year. I would be worried how bad that core has been over the last few years. They should never have been a bottom five team rebuild or not. Buffalo fans deserve better. Sens fan deserve what they have gotten.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad