News Article: Sam Rosen To Retire After Next Season

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
There is only one man I think we all unanimously agree SHOULD be the one to take over:

images

• Haha
Reactions: Peltz

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
There is only one man I think we all unanimously agree SHOULD be the one to take over:

images

i'm pretty sure this guy would rather live under a bridge than have to call 70+ Rangers games per season

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The Post reported that Kenny Albert is the odds-on favorite to replace Sam. I imagine that’s true and MSG will offer a lot of money to entice him. He’s not everyone’s cup of tea but he’s got pedigree, a signature style, and he’s a true pro—he basically checks all the boxes for MSG corporate.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
The Post reported that Kenny Albert is the odds-on favorite to replace Sam. I imagine that’s true and MSG will offer a lot of money to entice him. He’s not everyone’s cup of tea but he’s got pedigree, a signature style, and he’s a true pro—he basically checks all the boxes for MSG corporate.
That would be fine. Honestly, I can't really think of someone I truly love as an announcer these days other than Sam Rosen.

I was one of the folks that really like Doc too.

Kenny knows how to make a decent call and give an exciting moment the proper enthusiasm.

I really can't even think of someone else. John Giannone? Maybe the guy who does the msg 60 during intermission? What's his name again? (edit - Bill Pidto)

Either of those two guys would be decent too honestly (even though they probably have haters).

Kenny is a pro but it may be cool to give it to someone new.

Last edited:

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Joe Micheletti these days.
View attachment 909096
Crazy that this guy was the "pretty boy" in Punch-Out!!!

I never fell for Joe. Maybe because I grew up with JD. Joe’s color is basic. His big analysis is identifying the exact moment in the replay when a thing happens, or commenting that a player’s release is quick.
I'll take it further than that - basic would be an upgrade over Joe. He's actively bad and should get fired. He's as bad during the game as Ron Duguay was to the post game show.

They HEAVILY upgraded over Ron when they brought in Steve V. They should make a similar upgrade to the color analyst position.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Always amazed when Ranger fans enjoy Emrick on the call. Mainly because it usually sounded like his dog had just been put down everytime he had to call a Rangers goal in the PO.

I found him grating and self indulgent even when he wasn't doing a Rangers game. He'd also call a national game which had nothing to do with the Tri-State area and you still had to mark off on your bingo card how many times he'd feel the need to mention Brodeur.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Kenny is great, IMO. We could do a lot worse.

I hope MSG uses this opportunity to move Joe out & start fresh. It's been 20 years & we could all use a new perspective.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Kenny is great, IMO. We could do a lot worse.

I hope MSG uses this opportunity to move Joe out & start fresh. It's been 20 years & we could all use a new perspective.
This is easy: you don't even have to fire Joe from MSG. Just move him back to the Islanders broadcast and fire Butch Goring into the sun.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
This is easy: you don't even have to fire Joe from MSG. Just move him back to the Islanders broadcast and fire Butch Goring into the sun.
Joe came to us from the Isles booth, so it would complete the circle. However, I wouldn't wish that torture upon him again, so I'm ok with moving him into the studio to fill in when Hank is fulfilling other obligations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad