Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I'm confused, why are we talking about Jagr and Thorburn in our salary cap thread?

In any case, I am on the boat with others for hoping the Sheahan trade just happens, so JR can figure out what to do with Kuhn and others if need be. Not sure about Zaripov, I get he's a natural LW'er and he could do well with Malkin, but I'd be looking at a 1m max 1yr deal for him, that can be easily buried or with an out clause if it doesn't hurt our cap at all. At worst, he sucks, he goes away or the pens demote him and he just doesn't report and goes to play somewhere else. At best, he does well, Geno is happy and has a monster season...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Anyway, as far as Zaripov is concerned, I hadn't seen that he led the KHL playoffs in goal-scoring last year.

Compelling.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Isn't the KHL on the same level as the AHL pretty much, in terms of quality of competition and talent?

Anyway, even if this Zaripov guy turns out to be better than your run of the mill Pesonen or Plotnikov, where does he fit? Who does he bump out of the roster? Genuinely curious, because I don't see a spot for the guy even if he signs and turns out to not be some nobody.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Isn't the KHL on the same level as the AHL pretty much, in terms of quality of competition and talent?

Anyway, even if this Zaripov guy turns out to be better than your run of the mill Pesonen or Plotnikov, where does he fit? Who does he bump out of the roster? Genuinely curious, because I don't see a spot for the guy even if he signs and turns out to not be some nobody.

I'd assume, based on how much Geno is pushing for it, he'd be on Geno's wing. Which means someone like Hagelin, Rust, or Wilson gets bumped down a line, and someone like Wilson becomes expendable (unless Hagelin's cap hit makes him the expendable one).

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'd assume, based on how much Geno is pushing for it, he'd be on Geno's wing. Which means someone like Hagelin, Rust, or Wilson gets bumped down a line, and someone like Wilson becomes expendable (unless Hagelin's cap hit makes him the expendable one).

I'd think that Hagelin's hit would make him a primary target anyhow at some point this year, especially if he keeps falling on the depth chart. But I'm really not sure the Zaripov rumor really has legs. :dunno:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

I don't know, guys like Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, etc have come out of the KHL producing decent numbers, Zaripov has produced some pretty good numbers his entire career there, Plots was just a guy that had a good international tourney and people thought he was legit, maybe he could have been better in a different situation, but I wouldn't say he's more Plots than say Panarin, I think he falls in the middle of those two.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

So we're looking at something like this;

59-87-43
Z-71-81
17/62-X-72
62/17-X-75

Yeah, I don't know, man. I can't see some random Russian dude coming in and being good enough to put Rust or Hagelin on the 4th line. Not even to appease Geno. It's one of those situations where you'd like to see the guy in NHL action before making a decision, but that's not possible. I'd pass pretty easily. Even if he works out, he's like 36 right? It wouldn't be like missing out on Panarin.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd think that Hagelin's hit would make him a primary target anyhow at some point this year, especially if he keeps falling on the depth chart. But I'm really not sure the Zaripov rumor really has legs. :dunno:

I think it depends on how much the Pens value Hagelin's PK ability. After losing Bonino and Cullen, they might be worried about also trading away their top PK winger (Hagelin) as well.

Not sure how much stock there is in the Zaripov rumors, though, since the only comments I've seen seem to be from Geno saying they should sign him. :laugh:

Sideline

May 23, 2004

I was all set to post:
Guenztel Crosby Sheary
Zaripov Malkin Rust
Hagelin Sheehan Kessel
Wilson Rowney Reaves

Then I realized Hornqvist was missing. This team is stacked at wing...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I always got the feeling from the press blurbs about it over here that Geno was basically just talking up Zaripov to get him a job somewhere, not necessarily here. :dunno:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I was all set to post:
Guenztel Crosby Sheary
Zaripov Malkin Rust
Hagelin Sheehan Kessel
Wilson Rowney Reaves

Then I realized Hornqvist was missing. This team is stacked at wing...

Yeah it's still something our fan base is not used to with so much winger depth, haha. I know Geno would be thrilled to have Zaripov, but I don't want him to bump off any home grown talent that has worked its tail off to be in a position to make the team over a guy that is only trying to get to the NHL because he's banned from the KHL for like 2yrs.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I always got the feeling from the press blurbs about it over here that Geno was basically just talking up Zaripov to get him a job somewhere, not necessarily here. :dunno:

It sort of sounded like that, but even if the Pens were interested, I feel like they would have gotten him on a PTO to see how he looks with Geno at least, the fact that they didn't just tells me it was Geno being nice about the guy and that the Pens are intrigued, not interested.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, it's still so odd to have to worry about fitting all of our wingers in. :laugh:

Add to the current log-jam guys like ZAR and Sprong, who by all accounts are NHL-ready, if not ready to excel.

I just don't see a spot for this random Russian dude, even if Geno's championing his cause. Like HSL said, it's more likely Geno trying to put in a good word for the guy so he can find a spot somewhere as opposed to Geno campaigning for JR to sign him.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
KHL doesn't seem to necessarily map well to other leagues, AHL or otherwise. Steve Moses was a monster in the K the one year, but is nothing to write home about as the A goes. On the flipside, Evander Kane couldn't hack it in the K, but is a pretty good NHL player. Tough to say how a guy's going to do before he makes the change.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust/Hornqvist
Zaripov-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Hornqvist/Rust
Wilson-4C-Reaves

See if you can try and trade Hagelin for an expensive, pending UFA 3C to play on the 4th line. Have Rust, Sheahan, Reaves, Wilson and that center be your main PKers. You kill two birds with one stone with that move, get out of Hagelin's contract obligation for 2018-2019 and you get an upgrade at 4C.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
KHL doesn't seem to necessarily map well to other leagues, AHL or otherwise. Steve Moses was a monster in the K the one year, but is nothing to write home about as the A goes. On the flipside, Evander Kane couldn't hack it in the K, but is a pretty good NHL player. Tough to say how a guy's going to do before he makes the change.

I don't think Kane was playing his best either. Probably just staying in shape for the NHL season.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust/Hornqvist
Zaripov-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Hornqvist/Rust
Wilson-4C-Reaves

See if you can try and trade Hagelin for an expensive, pending UFA 3C to play on the 4th line. Have Rust, Sheahan, Reaves, Wilson and that center be your main PKers. You kill two birds with one stone with that move, get out of Hagelin's contract obligation for 2018-2019 and you get an upgrade at 4C.

I stay away from Zaripov.

How do people expect him to skip all of camp, not even come as a PTO and then expect to be on the 2nd line without seeing how he looks in camp. I say we just drop that fantasy altogether and focus on who could be a good LW'er for Geno from what the team currently has right now.

I think Blueger and McKegg are fighting for the 4C job, which makes me wonder what is going on with Rowney then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium