Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Give each 82 games, Archy would outscore him and so would Kuhn and Sprong. Which is why i don't get this trade.

Maybe because we do not have an issue scoring goals? We were the highest scoring team in the league last year - with our #1D missing half the season, without Guentzel playing a full season and with Sheary and Malking missing 20+ games each. Oh and that includes Hagelin and Hornqvist both having down seasons and missing games.

There is zero reason why we need "more scoring" on the 4th line with the talent we will be able to ice on a regular basis in the top 9.

People do not like or understand the Reaves trade - I get it. But this idea that we could get 5 more goals out of Archie or whomever over Reaves and that therefore they're a better choice is asinine.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Riiiiiight, very bizarre. I think you should take Empoleon and Pensandcaps to your interview, you could be the first GM triad in the history of the NHL.

Why don't you try to become a GM? You're obviously so much smarter than everyone else here, and if we're good enough to be GMs, you should be like a mega GM or something. Or maybe just go right for commissioner? Hell, screw that, just become president!

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Why don't we find that out instead of just thinking it would fail? I really don't know why people are against bringing in Zaripov. Yeah, the Penguins have literally no need for him. They couldn't need a player less. But if Malkin thinks he can help the team, the organization likes him after they have done their research and Zaripov wants to come to Pittsburgh, why not? He's not going to be making much more than league minimum, especially if he's set on coming to Pittsburgh. I just honestly see it as a low risk, high reward move.

I'm concerned about how well he'd translate, especially if he's coming over after training camp and with little NA hockey experience, but that wouldn't be a reason for me not to try him out here. I really hope he signs here soon if he's going to sign with the Penguins, I would feel a lot more comfortable if he signs during the preseason. Luckily the Penguins still have like 2 weeks until the real games start.

We don't find out because he's looking for 2.5m. If he was looking for 850k, it'd be a different story.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We don't find out because he's looking for 2.5m. If he was looking for 850k, it'd be a different story.

Who's saying he's looking for $2.5 million? And if he's looking for that much, why is he waiting on the Penguins to see if they want him? The Penguins obviously couldn't afford him at that price.

Guess I missed the post, but thanks.

Wish the Sheahan trade would already happen.

Same.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Who's saying he's looking for $2.5 million? And if he's looking for that much, why is he waiting on the Penguins to see if they want him? The Penguins obviously couldn't afford him at that price.

Same.

Everything I've read has said that the offer was between 2-2.5m for a 1 year deal. What is the benefit of him coming over for anything less?

I don't think he has feelers out there for every team. He has picked certain teams he'd come to. I don't think he's doing this because he so desperately desires to be an NHL'er. He's doing it for the right situation, but he won't sacrifice a ton to do it.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Riiiiiight, very bizarre. I think you should take Empoleon and Pensandcaps to your interview, you could be the first GM triad in the history of the NHL.

I mean. Again I actually watch the Jets. He's pretty awful. Don't need advanced stats to tell you that. There are many moves made by GMs that are obviously BAD that many people, average hockey fans point out and are correct. Sometimes GMs just make bad Moves.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Even if that's the case, then it's because they're not good enough for the NHL. Reaves is one of the top 2-3 guys at what he does. He's a legit NHL talent who can play at this level while bringing the rough stuff to the table.

You can hate the trade and think it was needless. But the idea that Reaves is easily replaceable is asinine. You can bring in parts of his game. The speed, the hitting or the physical stuff... but few have it all - and there's certainly no one in the AHL who's even close to him.

Yeah I was just trolling on that one I don't really believe that.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
So basically, to sum up your argument in this post, Thornton deserves a contract because a GM gave him a contract and I'm just an idiot who isn't a GM, so how would I know he doesn't deserve a contract? Thanks for proving my point with my original post again, because you literally just did the same thing again. Like are you forgetting what my original point was? You're literally doing exactly what I accused you of doing.

So let's put our cards on the table here for a second wise one. What exactly have YOU said to support Thorburn's 'aweful' signing? Atleast I've stated that Blues' management thought it was the proper decision. I know that's COMPLETELY ludicrous around these parts but Armstrong and his cronies probably used more than a dart board to complete their roster. Is it that you and your 2 sandbox buddies get free prizes around here for every 1,000 posts that you make? See I haven't received any prizes yet so I must be completely in the dark about what goes through each of your minds....and I mean COMPLETELY.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Maybe because we do not have an issue scoring goals? We were the highest scoring team in the league last year - with our #1D missing half the season, without Guentzel playing a full season and with Sheary and Malking missing 20+ games each. Oh and that includes Hagelin and Hornqvist both having down seasons and missing games.

There is zero reason why we need "more scoring" on the 4th line with the talent we will be able to ice on a regular basis in the top 9.

People do not like or understand the Reaves trade - I get it. But this idea that we could get 5 more goals out of Archie or whomever over Reaves and that therefore they're a better choice is asinine.

That's not even why i would want archy over Reaves. It's 90% his speed and Forechecking. Thats all. And he can PK.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
I mean. Again I actually watch the Jets. He's pretty awful. Don't need advanced stats to tell you that. There are many moves made by GMs that are obviously BAD that many people, average hockey fans point out and are correct. Sometimes GMs just make bad Moves.

Ohhhhh ok, why didn't you just say this in the first place??

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Everything I've read has said that the offer was between 2-2.5m for a 1 year deal. What is the benefit of him coming over for anything less?

I don't think he has feelers out there for every team. He has picked certain teams he'd come to. I don't think he's doing this because he so desperately desires to be an NHL'er. He's doing it for the right situation, but he won't sacrifice a ton to do it.

If he wants that much money, he's not coming here. Seeing how both Friedman and Mackey are at least implying Zaripov wants to come here, it doesn't make sense for him to be asking for that much.

So let's put our cards on the table here for a second wise one. What exactly have YOU said to support Thorburn's 'aweful' signing? Atleast I've stated that Blues' management thought it was the proper decision. I know that's COMPLETELY ludicrous around these parts but Armstrong and his cronies probably used more than a dart board to complete their roster. Is it that you and your 2 sandbox buddies get free prizes around here for every 1,000 posts that you make? See I haven't received any prizes yet so I must be completely in the dark about what goes through each of your minds....and I mean COMPLETELY.

Here is my guess for what's going to happen next. I could definitely post the stats and charts to support my opinion. It's ridiculously easy. I know for a fact you're going to dismiss those because I'm just "a stat watching idiot who has never played hockey" or something along those lines, and Armstrong was right because he's a GM and I'm just some unqualified fan. Does that sound about right? Because I could easily post that he had 4 points in 64 games lats year, or he didn't even play 7:00 a nigh because his team thought he was so bad, or how he's consistently an atrocious possession player, or I can post literally what any Jets fan would say about him.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

I assume you're just trolling. (the way you're spelling "awful "makes me think you're trolling)You can just look at his production, 4 points in 64 games last year, the fact that the way to go in the NHL today for your 4th line is young speed guys on ELCs. Not 34 year old washed up enforcers. Speed and Skill is the new wave of the NHL. And for real, watch him play, he's awful.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
That's not even why i would want archy over Reaves. It's 90% his speed and Forechecking. Thats all. And he can PK.

Seems like Reaves will be put into a role to do just that, except with 'heavier' forechecking. And he will PK, according to management.

Don't want to lose Archibald but I think he's a player that Reaves could improve upon.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
I assume you're just trolling. (the way you're spelling "awful "makes me think you're trolling)You can just look at his production, 4 points in 64 games last year, the fact that the way to go in the NHL today for your 4th line is young speed guys on ELCs. Not 34 year old washed up enforcers. Speed and Skill is the new wave of the NHL. And for real, watch him play, he's awful.

Well you muuuust have Armstrong's number - call him before he sets his final roster! He probably doesn't get the Jets station down in St. Louis...

Oh and thanks for the spelling lesson, my autocorrect's alllllllmost as big of a pain in the..................

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Archibald does have better metrics.

You do know a higher defensive zone start isn't better right?
I think someone needs a lesson in what those metrics actually mean. You'd save yourself a lot of embarrassment. :shakehead

Trading wilson or Hags to keep Reaves in the lineup would be just as bad.

The only chance Wilson has of being moved is in a deal for a #3C - and that wouldn't change even if we hadn't acquired Reaves. Hagelin probably cannot be traded at this point, and he's certainly not going to be moved to open up a roster spot for Sprong.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal

But but he can hit.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Seems like Reaves will be put into a role to do just that, except with 'heavier' forechecking. And he will PK, according to management.

Don't want to lose Archibald but I think he's a player that Reaves could improve upon.

Yes. People made good points that Reaves wasn't really used right or as a hockey player in ST.Louis. If their is a coach who can get the best out of Reaves it's Sully. I do worry about his PKing ability though, i just don't see it, he's too big and clunky imo. I would like to see some of him on the PP, that'd be fun too see.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Anyone can get into those fringe ivy league schools like Dartmouth and Brown. Wanna be ivy league schools IMO. Know the real prize here? Craig Adams' alma mater, who was at the OG of Ivy League schools, Harvard. Brown? Ha, brown is the color of poo. It's worthless.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Well you muuuust have Armstrong's number - call him before he sets his final roster! He probably doesn't get the Jets station down in St. Louis...

Oh and thanks for the spelling lesson, my autocorrect's alllllllmost as big of a pain in the..................
I'm just giving you my opinion of what I have seen of Thorburn in Winnipeg. A team I watch quite a bit. And it was angering watching him play over young guys who were obviously better like Petan and Dano. All jets fans rejoiced. And again GMs make bad moves that are obviously bad that EVERYONE knows is bad. So it's not hindsight, GMs just make atrocious moves.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Anyone can get into those fringe ivy league schools like Dartmouth and Brown. Wanna be ivy league schools IMO. Know the real prize here? Craig Adams' alma mater, who was at the OG of Ivy League schools, Harvard. Brown? Ha, brown is the color of poo. It's worthless.

Craig is a bad ass. That's why Dan was always glued to his hip.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
Yeah and that's fine if you're a fan. I'm not judging.

Maybe Bylsma saw the same things you saw :)

Good lord, I enjoyed Farnham's time in the Burgh much better than that of Glass'. But I'd be lying if I said I was a fan of either one of them. And to be honest, I don't ever recall saying I was a fan of Thorburn's either. I simply stated that he was a fit on the Blues over Jags, thus the reason the Blues signed him. But anyhow.....:shakehead

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Good lord, I enjoyed Farnham's time in the Burgh much better than that of Glass'. But I'd be lying if I said I was a fan of either one of them. And to be honest, I don't ever recall saying I was a fan of Thorburn's either. I simply stated that he was a fit on the Blues over Jags, thus the reason the Blues signed him. But anyhow.....:shakehead

A better fit maybe on their ECHL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad