Salary Cap: Salary Cap: 2015 - insert witty title here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
There are possibilities where Perron on the 3rd line makes sense. If Plotnikov would thrive as the physical guy with Crosby and Kessel and Bennett has great chemistry with Malkin and Hornqvist, where does Perron go? Do you bump one of those 2 down in the depth chart just because Perron is a top-6 winger?

In your two scenarios, yes -- there is a case to be made for Perron on L3 LEFT wing. But, the assumption of course is that Plots won't look better with Crosby and Kessel than Perron would, AND ALSO, at the same time, that Bennett wouldn't look better with Malkin and Hornqvist than Perron would. IF this were the case, then we are in a scenario like I mentioned where Perron is basically our 5th-best wing option, so L3 makes sense. But, that is, with 99.9% certainty, not going to be the case, so the point is moot.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Boyes for $700,000 and the list of players hurting a Kunitz trade grows shorter.

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2015/09/27/dark-horse-defense-candidates/#axzz3myXCujqU

Johnston is on record this camp as saying he doesn’t care about size. Check out what he said the morning of the Carolina game:

(I look at) three areas. How they move the puck. How they skate and join the rush. Then their compete level in one-on-one situations. Sometimes with defensemen, everybody looks at their size. I don’t often look at size. I look at compete, skating and puck movement. Those are three key things for me.

Does that mean the Penguins could keep Clendening, Warsofsky or even Will O’Neill, who’s 6-1 but had 48 points in 72 games played with St. John’s in the AHL last season? I don’t know. It’s still early. But I haven’t been blown away by what I’ve seen out of Pouliot, Dumoulin or Gonchar (defensively, anyway).

Rob Scuderi presents his own, polarizing argument that I’m not going to get into here. Just know: Players and coaches love him. There are some leadership aspects, too, that can be valuable. It’s just do they jibe with the defense, the age and the cap hit? Tough to say

Great.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Boyes for $700,000 and the list of players hurting a Kunitz trade grows shorter.

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2015/09/27/dark-horse-defense-candidates/#axzz3myXCujqU

Great.

At the very least, we're getting a glimpse into why Scuderi hasn't been bought out or told to **** off.

Also, it shows MJ is fully aware that he's an issue, and brings absolutely zero to the table when it comes to winning hockey games. (Don't give me that leadership ********, we're not the Oilers, we have heaps of experience and leadership)

The troubling part, is that MJ doesn't seem to have the power, or the sack to do what's best for this team's chances at climbing it's way into the upper echelon of Cup favorites. At least JR's tried to move him, and Kunitz. MJ just comes across as too "go with the flow" and too sheepish to do what he really needs to do. I'm sure Kunitz and Dupuis being on the team is the only reason MJ's even flirted with the idea of Perron anywhere but the top-6 on the LW.

Hockey politics, man. ********.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Before even getting in to the real lines, how do you not TRY Perron with the top 6 guys on the LW. I think Kunitz COULD do OK on the LW in the top 6, but in what world is Perron not the most obvious top 6 LW guy to TRY?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I think I'm gonna take a break from this board for awhile. Let things plays out. Apparently suggesting anything contrary to Perron playing LW in the top 6 is heresy.

I know right? Why do these guys want our best LW play LW in the top 6? Sounds pretty dumb to me.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wait there are some of you that would rather see Sprong in the top 6 and Perron off the team? Never change HF.

No one said that, the only thing that was said was that they could stomach losing Perron if Sprong stays up with the team. There is nothing there about rather having Sprong over Perron.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
No one said that, the only thing that was said was that they could stomach losing Perron if Sprong stays up with the team. There is nothing there about rather having Sprong over Perron.

That's literally what it means...more or less

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I mean, it's really not anywhere near the same as trading Perron. It just isn't. Sprong has been one of our best forwards this pre-season, and while he still has room to grow and develop, there's something to be said about allowing him to do so at the NHL level. If he's got the wheels, the IQ, and the skill to play at the NHL level, let him. It's not like we're throwing an 18-year old Fleury into net four months after drafting him and saying "Welp, good luck. Your job is to turn the franchise around."

He'll be well insulated, not relied upon to produce at an unrealistic clip, and he'll learn a Hell of a lot more playing NHL minutes--even 3rd line--than top-6 minutes in juniors.

If he earns it, let him stick. Find a way to dump Kunitz (do so regardless of Sprong, but still).

My only issue with that is who are we bumping off the 3rd line to give him those minutes? Dupuis, Bennett, Kunitz? Give him his 9 games... but unless he's better than Perron and forces himself into a top 6 role, I'd send him back. The cap will force us to either trade Kunitz or let Perron walk next summer. That will create more room for Sprong to have a better chance at sticking to the top 9.

Mike Lange Version 2

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
At the very least, we're getting a glimpse into why Scuderi hasn't been bought out or told to **** off.

Also, it shows MJ is fully aware that he's an issue, and brings absolutely zero to the table when it comes to winning hockey games. (Don't give me that leadership ********, we're not the Oilers, we have heaps of experience and leadership)

The troubling part, is that MJ doesn't seem to have the power, or the sack to do what's best for this team's chances at climbing it's way into the upper echelon of Cup favorites. At least JR's tried to move him, and Kunitz. MJ just comes across as too "go with the flow" and too sheepish to do what he really needs to do. I'm sure Kunitz and Dupuis being on the team is the only reason MJ's even flirted with the idea of Perron anywhere but the top-6 on the LW.

Hockey politics, man. ********.

I must be very stupid. So if JR and MJ want him gone.......exactly WHO is keeping him around?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Rob Scuderi presents his own, polarizing argument that I’m not going to get into here. Just know: Players and coaches love him. There are some leadership aspects, too, that can be valuable. It’s just do they jibe with the defense, the age and the cap hit? Tough to say
Great.

That shouldn't really come as a surprise - several of us have been saying something similar all offseason.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I must be very stupid. So if JR and MJ want him gone.......exactly WHO is keeping him around?

The ghost of Shero (NTC), MJ's unwillingness to shake things up and take control of the team by benching him and forcing a trade, JR's inability to find a taker he's willing to go to.

Take your pick.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
That shouldn't really come as a surprise - several of us have been saying something similar all offseason.

It's not a surprise, but it's still not nice to hear. It's also something that should be breezed by for a player that bad with a cap hit that big.

Whenever something like that is said I always wonder if it's largely the veteran ones who feel that way and the young guys are resentful about the comfortable position. It's got to be mixed feelings for the young players competing with him or "earning their spot" at least.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
The ghost of Shero (NTC), MJ's unwillingness to shake things up and take control of the team by benching him and forcing a trade, JR's inability to find a taker he's willing to go to.

Take your pick.
Just wanna say that I don't blame JR here -- that's a herculean task. It may even be impossible. Scuderi has sticking power here because he's OUR parasite. Other GM's/coaches that haven't been Stockholm Syndrome'd by him like ours have just aren't going to be interested in an expensive, unskilled, broken down d-man.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Just wanna say that I don't blame JR here -- that's a herculean task. It may even be impossible. The thing is, Scuderi's sticking power is because he's OUR parasite. Other GM's/coaches that haven't been Stockholm Syndromed by him like ours have just aren't going to be interested in a expensive, unskilled, broken down d-man.

Rejean, where are you, Rejean? I guess we hope that Shero is still in that spiral or that LA panics because of their whole thing or that Boston panics because of injuries and a stupid GM.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Take your pick.

Not sure how many more signs there can be that Scuds is being minimized and/or shopped.

The real sign that things are going wonky is if you start seeing Scuds taking over Pouliot's spot with Lovejoy. That could mean the org has decided Pouliot is going down, and they're going to throw Scuds in there for the time being.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Not sure how many more signs there can be that Scuds is being minimized and/or shopped.

The real sign that things are going wonky is if you start seeing Scuds taking over Pouliot's spot with Lovejoy. That could mean the org has decided Pouliot is going down, and they're going to throw Scuds in there for the time being.

I hope the two aren't mutually exclusive. I don't want to see Scuderi or Pouliot on the team.

Please don't misread that to think that I've given up on Pouliot. Far from it, but I think his play has earned him the start in WBS. Give non-exempt Clendening a chance. Letang, Maatta, Cole, Dumoulin, and Lovejoy (by reluctant default) should round out your top 6. Scuderi should sit in the press box if he can't be demoted until he accepts a trade. Scuderi + a 5, 6, or 7th round pick for nothing would be a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad