Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think Adams is rapidly getting to the point where he's telling Pegula that it's time to spend. Taking on Driedger to acquire a solid defenseman is a good thing.

You don't need to convince me, I am sold on the idea, but the realist in me says that Adams and T. Pegula won't pick up a 4.5 million salary dump, and that Francis won't part with Borgen.

I think the hope is that Borgen will replace Larsson in two seasons when Larsson hits UFA. Borgen and Dunn played a couple of games together last season and they were the best pair for the Kraken in those games. Unless there are contract disagreements, I think Borgen signs long-term soon.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Clifton and Borgen are both in the same category - not necessarily top-4 guys but Dmen that could be a good fit with Power and possibly up their game to legit 2nd pair status.

Borgen and Roy could be acquired in the same manner - taking on a goalie cap dump in Driedger/Peterson to motivate the other GM. As good of a plan that is, I'm skeptical that the front office cares to operate like that for now...or a while.

That same (unfortunate) reasoning is why I think they're done at goalie. It's all on the three they have and deciding if Levi starts in Rochester, and which one eventually gets traded/waived.

It's going to be like watching paint dry, except for some possible separate move for a Dman. If Reinbacher and Leonard are gone at #13, I might just take a three month nap until October.

Free Agent Frenzy
Development Camp
Rookie Showcase

All gold.

Reactions: HOOats

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Agreed. I think Bryson as 8th D and Comrie as 3rd G works, they could both pass waivers at their contracts and shuffle back and forth.
Why even try to salvage them, especially Bryson. It will be so easy to upgrade for very little cost, that there is no reason not to. Got to know when to let it go. When to stop squeezing the stone and just move on. Learning to do that sooner than later with some of these misfit toys is one thing I am looking for KA and his staff to improve on. Bryson isn't going to get any bigger. :) Might be fine on the right team in the 7/8 role, but he isn't what we need. So, put him in the mirror and slap that upgrade button!

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Clifton and Borgen are both in the same category - not necessarily top-4 guys but Dmen that could be a good fit with Power and possibly up their game to legit 2nd pair status.

Borgen and Roy could be acquired in the same manner - taking on a goalie cap dump in Driedger/Peterson to motivate the other GM. As good of a plan that is, I'm skeptical that the front office cares to operate like that for now...or a while.

That same (unfortunate) reasoning is why I think they're done at goalie. It's all on the three they have and deciding if Levi starts in Rochester, and which one eventually gets traded/waived.

It's going to be like watching paint dry, except for some possible separate move for a Dman. If Reinbacher and Leonard are gone at #13, I might just take a three month nap until October.
I’d gladly take Danielson in that scenario (or situation, whichever you prefer).

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Maybe Braden Schneider is not as unrealistic a trade target as one might think. The Rangers top 4 is going to be set for the next couple of years and he is going to be stuck behind Fox and Trouba.

Meanwhile their current top 6 is getting up there in age and will be 30+ exclusively soon.
Sure, they have the kid line and some reinforcements on the way, but it's not unreasonable to assess a certain loss of blueness among their bluest of blue chips.

I'd imagine Drury would at least listen if we offered up one of our high-end forward prospects or 13OA.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Trade down idea.

Murphy
Dickinson
Blackwell
Roos
TB 1st (20th overall)
CBH 2nd

Olofsson
Krebs
BS 1st (13th overall)

Chicago has excess young defenders and I like Roos as a long-tern 3LHD. Dickinson and Blackwell to add some of those bottom 6 qualities we are lacking, with an eye on resigning Dickinson as a 4C for a couple more years. Murphy pairs with Power. I think its fair, would depend on how much they value Krebs. Not opposed to adding UPL.

1st line
2nd line
Greenway Mitts Savoie
Girgs Dickinson Okposo
Blackwell/Rousek

1st pair
Power Murphy
Stillman Joker
Bryson Lyubushkin

Levi
Hill/Raanta/Varly
Comrie

At 20 hope for Simashev (Id be OK with Musty at 20 but there are mixed feelings with him). With a third 2nd, Strbak/Hrabal/Stramel would be my dream 1-2-3 in that round.

The following year, Kulich is up and Okposo is out. Resign Mitts and Dickinson. Roos on the 3rd pair with a TBD partner.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Centers - Thompson, Cozens, Mitts, Krebs

Wingers - Tuch, Skinner, Quinn, Peterka, Greenway, Savoie.

That only leaves us two spots without Okposo, Girgs, Olofsson, or Rousek. I just don’t know if we’re really going to see any impact forwards added. I’d like to see a version of Girgs that can win face offs as a winger, but I don’t see much turnover:

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
Savoie - Cozens - Quinn
Greenway - Mitts - Peterka
Rousek - Krebs - Okposo

Would let Rousek get experience from dad okposo. Would love to see Savoie setting up cozens and Quinn. And greenway/mitts/Peterka could learn to be a pain to play against

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see a middle six forward added, but I’m not banking on it. A top 4 defender is the impact piece I could see being added though:

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - XXX
Stillman - Boosh

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Maybe Braden Schneider is not as unrealistic a trade target as one might think. The Rangers top 4 is going to be set for the next couple of years and he is going to be stuck behind Fox and Trouba.

Meanwhile their current top 6 is getting up there in age and will be 30+ exclusively soon.
Sure, they have the kid line and some reinforcements on the way, but it's not unreasonable to assess a certain loss of blueness among their bluest of blue chips.

I'd imagine Drury would at least listen if we offered up one of our high-end forward prospects or 13OA.

Maybe once Schneider is due to get PAID, he's a realistic trade target. But he's 21 and going into his final ELC and will likely sign a bridge deal with the Rangers on the relative cheap.

Given the Rangers' cap structure, they need cheap guys. And Schneider is as cheap as they come next year. Maybe there's a chance to snag him next offseason if bridge talks don't go well........but I think it'll be a few years before he shakes loose. And by then, who knows what will happen.

I do love Schneider's theoretical fit here. I'd absolutely do 13 for him. But I just don't see him being available.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Would Buffalo be willing to part with anything significant for Noah Dobson?
I don’t see the fit. Age and handedness are good, but he’s just not the type of defenseman we need. Dahlin and Power have got the offense/PP covered. We need a steady stay-at-home type to do for Power what Samuelsson does for Dahlin.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
You don't need to convince me, I am sold on the idea, but the realist in me says that Adams and T. Pegula won't pick up a 4.5 million salary dump, and that Francis won't part with Borgen.

I think the hope is that Borgen will replace Larsson in two seasons when Larsson hits UFA. Borgen and Dunn played a couple of games together last season and they were the best pair for the Kraken in those games. Unless there are contract disagreements, I think Borgen signs long-term soon.

Pairing me with Dunn would still be the best pair for the Kraken.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

It will be really interesting to see what happens with Schenn this summer.

Any team relying on him more than a bottom pairing d-man will be sorely disappointed.

Tampa was interested in bringing him back again. He liked Vancouver. He's having success on his return to Toronto. I could see him in any of those places.

He was the 6th/7th d-man for Tampa. In the playoffs he played like 10 minutes a night, when he played.

Sounds like he'll sign the Gudbranson contract to the highest bidder. Teams love their physical dman.

Gudbranson was overpaid by Columbus. They also played him 21 minutes a night....part of the reason they finished near the bottom of the league.

I think the sample size of Schenn is big enough where teams realize he's a bottom pair d-man. Trying to force him into a top 4 role will expose his issues badly over an 82 game season.

Reactions: Zman5778

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Any team relying on him more than a bottom pairing d-man will be sorely disappointed.

He was the 6th/7th d-man for Tampa. In the playoffs he played like 10 minutes a night, when he played.

He's at the point he can sign for fit. Him and his wife both speak highly of their experiences in Tampa. With the new baby, fit is going to be a factor. Tampa has that draw where they can sign guys to cheaper contracts for fit like Perry and Maroon have and it wouldn't surprise me if he goes back to Tampa.

Gudbranson was overpaid by Columbus. They also played him 21 minutes a night....part of the reason they finished near the bottom of the league.

I think the sample size of Schenn is big enough where teams realize he's a bottom pair d-man. Trying to force him into a top 4 role will expose his issues badly over an 82 game season.

They didn't play Gudbranson that much by choice, they did it because of the number of injuries on their blueline. Columbus was savaged by injuries and it showed.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Pairing me with Dunn would still be the best pair for the Kraken.
This was 2021-22 and the team likely had four of Larsson, Giordano, Soucy, Oleksiak and Lauzon also playing, and Dunn was far from the teams most consistent D last season.

I don't remember exactly who else they dressed in those games, and I know your comment was a joke, but Borgen 's style of play complimented and made Dunn better.

Everyone is looking at stats and making judgement calls about who and who isn't top four quality in this thread, but it really should all just be about chemistry and who can compliment Power or Dahlin. judging Samuelson on raw skill alone, he is not a top four defender, yet he is a perfect compliment on the top pair.

That is the type of player this team needs, not someone that is strictly top four based on their stats, but someone that is going to best compliment Power or Dahlin.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
This was 2021-22 and the team likely had four of Larsson, Giordano, Soucy, Oleksiak and Lauzon also playing, and Dunn was far from the teams most consistent D last season.

I don't remember exactly who else they dressed in those games, and I know your comment was a joke, but Borgen 's style of play complimented and made Dunn better.

Everyone is looking at stats and making judgement calls about who and who isn't top four quality in this thread, but it really should all just be about chemistry and who can compliment Power or Dahlin. judging Samuelson on raw skill alone, he is not a top four defender, yet he is a perfect compliment on the top pair.

That is the type of player this team needs, not someone that is strictly top four based on their stats, but someone that is going to best compliment Power or Dahlin.
We're broadly in agreement here.

What's telling to me, is how little biting there is on the trade board for RHD to Buffalo. Fans of other teams don't seem particularly interested in what people here are.

One thing which doesn't get talked about enough IMO: whomever pairs with Power will start to look a lot better when he's not, you know 20.

Reactions: Irie

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
We're broadly in agreement here.

What's telling to me, is how little biting there is on the trade board for RHD to Buffalo. Fans of other teams don't seem particularly interested in what people here are.

One thing which doesn't get talked about enough IMO: whomever pairs with Power will start to look a lot better when he's not, you know 20.
I disagree with the boded. I don't venture over to the trade board very often - maybe it's generally better now than it used to be - but I've been watching that thread & numerous players of interest have been mentioned.

Reactions: Zman5778

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I don't think we're seeing the same thing. Fans of other teams seem quite interested in pick 13. And Kulich. And Savoie. You know, the high-end pieces we need to bring a top 4 RHD to Buffalo.

And some of the names mentioned would be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad