Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I present to you: scumbag summer:

View attachment 694949

I’m not on board with Lucic. Only because he’s slow as f***. That is not what the Sabres go for. They’d be better off going for Watson in that case (assuming he’s a FA).

We can talk about analytics, but the main thing the Sabres target is if the player can skate. Which is why they’ve drafted a bunch of smaller skaters lately

Reactions: Club

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It really is tempting, but I imagine any idea I have would be a low ball. One of the few guys I'd be comfortable exposing Kulich or Savoie in theory.

Kulich or Savoie, for me, only get put into play for a picture-perfect fit long-term fit. Dobson is very good at what he does.....but in bringing him here, we'd be neutering what he does best to an extent.

If the Isles want Kulich or Savoie......Pelech or Pulock better be coming back.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'll likely be a minority of loving that 4th line.

Let's see Cernak elbow someone again.

Less than 0 desire to see Lucic on this team. I don't care if it is petty. We can get someone else who can fill the same role and doesn't have the history.

Yeah but how can it be scumbag summer if we don’t add the biggest one.

I’m not on board with Lucic. Only because he’s slow as f***. That is not what the Sabres go for. They’d be better off going for Watson in that case (assuming he’s a FA).

We can talk about analytics, but the main thing the Sabres target is if the player can skate. Which is why they’ve drafted a bunch of smaller skaters lately

I haven’t seen him recently. Worse than okposo?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Yeah but how can it be scumbag summer if we don’t add the biggest one.

I haven’t seen him recently. Worse than okposo?

Yea. Okposo is McDavid compared to Lucic. I mean, he was never quick, but he’s slower than the breakdown of plastic in the wild. Hence why I’d rather go for Watson if he’s a FA. Hell, give Watson the same contract as you gave Lucic and I won’t complain.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Trade for Binnington instead of Swayman.
Hard no. Don't need a headcase goalie who over the last two years really hasn't shown he is any better than what we have (.901 and .894 sv% over the last two years). Swayman has big time upside and hasn't been revealed to be a nutter butter. If we want someone more seasoned than Swayman that is fine, but i don't think Binnington should be that guy.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Hard no. Don't need a headcase goalie who over the last two years really hasn't shown he is any better than what we have (.901 and .894 sv% over the last two years). Swayman has big time upside and hasn't been revealed to be a nutter butter. If we want someone more seasoned than Swayman that is fine, but i don't think Binnington should be that guy.

Context. Doak was talking about a "scumbag summer". Binnington is much more of a scumbag than Swayman. Therefore, Doak should have acquired Binnington instead of Swayman if he was truly embracing "scumbag summer".

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Less than 0 desire to see Lucic on this team. I don't care if it is petty. We can get someone else who can fill the same role and doesn't have the history.
I would drop the Sabres as my team if they bring on that motherf***er.

Reactions: DJN21

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Context. Doak was talking about a "scumbag summer". Binnington is much more of a scumbag than Swayman. Therefore, Doak should have acquired Binnington instead of Swayman if he was truly embracing "scumbag summer".

I considered it. But then I considered that signing a division rivals goalie to an offersheet as a scumbag move. So embracing the theme still.

Reactions: BFLO and Zman5778

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Levi might be the starter for Canada at WC I hate to put a lot of weight into it but he will get a chance to show off and hopefully take away any doubt about being the starter next year.

Some people still want to put Levi in the AHL I just don't see it. I think we go with UPL and Levi.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Levi might be the starter for Canada at WC I hate to put a lot of weight into it but he will get a chance to show off and hopefully take away any doubt about being the starter next year.

Some people still want to put Levi in the AHL I just don't see it. I think we go with UPL and Levi.
The problem with that scenario isn’t Levi in the NHL. It’s having nowhere to turn if he struggles. You’ve tanked the season…and you’ve given him no support whatsoever with a backup shakier, and with less shit figured out than he has. The pressure of the jump is incredible. Now tell him there’s no safety net and if he doesn’t perform, as a rookie, the season is over. Great idea.

You want Levi in the NHL? Fine. Get him a proven steady vet who can step in for stretches if/when needed.

You want Levi in the AHL? Well it isn’t going to happen but you’re going to need a proven steady vet to be the starter in Buffalo.

No matter where Levi is…they need the same f***ing thing

And don’t try to tell me they like UPL more than I do or some shit. I’m not the one who was afraid to play him when push came to shove. That was them. The people who are going to pretend he’s great.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The problem with that scenario isn’t Levi in the NHL. It’s having nowhere to turn if he struggles. You’ve tanked the season…and you’ve given him no support whatsoever with a backup shakier, and with less shit figured out than he has. The pressure of the jump is incredible. Now tell him there’s no safety net and if he doesn’t perform, as a rookie, the season is over. Great idea.

You want Levi in the NHL? Fine. Get him a proven steady vet who can step in for stretches if/when needed.

You want Levi in the AHL? Well it isn’t going to happen but you’re going to need a proven steady vet to be the starter in Buffalo.

And don’t try to tell me they like UPL more than I do or some shit. I’m not the one who was afraid to play him when push came to shove. That was them. The people who are going to pretend he’s great.
I don't get a vibe that Levi plays the way you have portrait it. He was just put into a position to save this franchise from an 11 year playoff drought and even though the sabres didn't make the playoffs Levi was cool as a cucumber. He has already been put in a highest pressure situation there is at trying to get this team into the playoffs.

I don't disagree getting a proven veteran is a good idea but I also don't think Levi cares who the backup goalie is. I think Levi gets 50+ games next year. After watching Levi play back to back games that home stretch I think they give him the ball and he runs with it.

Reactions: DJN21

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY

They definitely do not rate UPL (thank god).

Not playing him or even dressing him speaks volumes, but there will be some team that thinks he can play.

If it’s Levi 1A they need a legitimate 1B veteran to guide him and hold it down WHEN he struggles.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Couple thoughts for trades:

I think the UPL for Borgen move should be explored. Maybe include Jokiharju? It’d be a smart way to add some physicality to the team and improve defensively for the long term. Leverage Botterill.

I’ve seen enough of LA’s power play to know that it could really use a shooter. Olofsson for Roy as the basis of a deal could be a good move.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Couple thoughts for trades:

I think the UPL for Borgen move should be explored. Maybe include Jokiharju? It’d be a smart way to add some physicality to the team and improve defensively for the long term. Leverage Botterill.

I’ve seen enough of LA’s power play to know that it could really use a shooter. Olofsson for Roy as the basis of a deal could be a good move.

Borgen has somewhat become a defensive glue guy in Seattle and is playing on the second pairing now.

Unless Borgen files for arbitration and wants more than Francis is willing to pay, I have doubts he will be available for anything other than a fairly big overpay.

Seattle will have some cap issues once they re-sign Dunn, so there is the offersheet option, but I do not think Adams would do that to his old teammate or risk a future retaliation there.

In goal, Seattle is tied to Grubauer (for better or worse for a few more years with that contract), and they have Driedger inked through next season as well at 3.5.

With Larsson, Oleksiak, Borgen, Megna and Fleury, there may be opportunity there, as they are one of the few teams in the league loaded with Defensive D.

A nice piece plus Comrie or UPL for Driedger and Borgen may get the conversation started, The nice piece is probably something Adams does not want to give up though. As someone who's local team is now the Kraken, (I have adopted them as a team to root for in the western conference), from the perspective of a Kraken fan I think I would not be thrilled if the add was "just" one of the second round picks. I think Seattle becomes a worse team losing Borgen, and while a 2nd is nice, I am just not sure it is worth it, even if it is viewed mostly as an overpay across the league.

Borgen is one of the best skaters on the Kraken. He is big and plays physical, will defend any of his teammates and he just keeps getting better. Such a shame the Sabres lost him, as I do think he might be a perfect fit on that second pair moving forward.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
This organization has not given up on UPL. Comrie however may be moved or waived. They will pick up a solid G on a 1-2 year deal this year. Although if this team just plays decent defense our goalies will look better by default.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I like Borgen....I don't think he is what we need.

He is a bottom pair d-man. He plays the 2nd PK unit. He'd be an upgrade over Lybushkin, but there are plenty of those available as a UFA.

I want a true top 4 guy with some experience. Borgen isn't going to move the needle enough.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
A nice piece plus Comrie or UPL for Driedger and Borgen may get the conversation started, The nice piece is probably something Adams does not want to give up though. As someone who's local team is now the Kraken, (I have adopted them as a team to root for in the western conference), from the perspective of a Kraken fan I think I would not be thrilled if the add was "just" one of the second round picks. I think Seattle becomes a worse team losing Borgen, and while a 2nd is nice, I am just not sure it is worth it, even if it is viewed mostly as an overpay across the league.

Borgen is one of the best skaters on the Kraken. He is big and plays physical, will defend any of his teammates and he just keeps getting better. Such a shame the Sabres lost him, as I do think he might be a perfect fit on that second pair moving forward.

Borgen and Dreidger for a 2nd.

Enough retreads in goal. Guy didn't play in the NHL at all last year. He is coming off a major knee injury.

We've rolled the dice enough. Spend the assets, get a starter.

Reactions: jcbeze

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Here's the stupidity with we need a top 4 dman. No we need someone that complements Power. Pairings aren't 1+1=2, you want synergy where it becomes more. Was Beukeboom a top 2 dman, no but he allowed Leetch to be his best. Is Samuelsson a top 2 d, nope but he let's Dahlin do his thing. The Sabres need to find Power's yang to his ying

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
They definitely do not rate UPL (thank god).

Not playing him or even dressing him speaks volumes, but there will be some team that thinks he can play.

If it’s Levi 1A they need a legitimate 1B veteran to guide him and hold it down WHEN he struggles.
They need a #1 goalie Levi should absolutely not be the number 1 option. Whether you want him backing up or getting the massive share of games in Rochester, that’s up to them.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Enough retreads in goal. Guy didn't play in the NHL at all last year. He is coming off a major knee injury.

We've rolled the dice enough. Spend the assets, get a starter.

Buy out Driedger. I dont think they trade Borgen alone for a 2nd.

Reactions: Irie

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
A few posters keep talking about how we don't have a "VO replacement" I guarantee you Quinn and Peterka will make up the 29 goals we are losing from Olofsson. It's not an issue.
after subtracting the goals he was on the ice for there is not much left to replace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad