Value of: Ryan Suter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Even without the NMC and recapture issues, not sure anyone would want to sign up for the 2nd half of that contract.

But, for ***** and giggles. Something around Krejci? Same age, #1C vs #1D, similar cap hit. Suter is probably a SMIDGE more valuable right now, but those extra years on the deal until he is 40 negate any extra value there.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Even without the NMC and recapture issues, not sure anyone would want to sign up for the 2nd half of that contract.

But, for ***** and giggles. Something around Krejci? Same age, #1C vs #1D, similar cap hit. Suter is probably a SMIDGE more valuable right now, but those extra years on the deal until he is 40 negate any extra value there.

I would think the recapture issue is Minnesota's problem. If they want to trade Suter for some reason, I don't think that's a deal breaker, and it shouldn't affect what return they get. Nashville traded Weber, and that pretty much dispels the idea that recapture is a huge deal.

As for the contract, I see no issue there either. First off, it's a front loaded deal. It's a salary saver and that has appeal for teams, and makes him a tradeable asset to a team getting to the cap floor late in the deal.

Also, he's a very steady Dman with elite skills, and those types tend to last very long. Many Dmen like him make it to 38-40 years old, and some play even past 40. He doesn't play a style that wears down very quickly, and hasn't had much injury issue.

A 7.5 cap hit for a top D is very cheap, and as the years go by it becomes a lower and lower percentage of the cap. In the final years of the deal, there's a good chance he would not even be overpaid.

Suter has a ton of value, and in a trade I'd expect nothing less than a 1 for 1 trade for another elite player. If it's for smaller pieces, they would get a huge haul I'm sure.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
So, everybody applauds a $5.5 million/year contract for a 2nd line winger but a $7.5 million/year contract is too much for a #1 Dman? Yeah ok.

I have plenty of issues with Sutter hogging minutes and shots, but barring injury only a fool thinks he isn't still good for 5-7 years of high end play.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
So, everybody applauds a $5.5 million/year contract for a 2nd line winger but a $7.5 million/year contract is too much for a #1 Dman? Yeah ok.

I have plenty of issues with Sutter hogging minutes and shots, but barring injury only a fool thinks he isn't still good for 5-7 years of high end play.

A fool and fickle HF board people. Which in many cases are one in the same.

Just remember that according to HF any player 30 or over has already started to decline
just because of his age and nothing else.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
A fool and fickle HF board people. Which in many cases are one in the same.

Just remember that according to HF any player 30 or over has already started to decline
just because of his age and nothing else.

They also struggle to understand that decline, like development, isn't a linear process. Might have to define linear for a few of my favorite posters but that's a different story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad