Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 4 (No MB talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Danault played almost no power play and he will get above 50 points. Also funny to read that his production is because he is playing with Gallagher and Tatar. Tatar, a player Vegas wanted to get rid of at almost all cost. Is it possible that Tatar has his best season because he isa playing with such a good all around player like Danault. The level of disrespect for Danault here is incredible.

BeastMode420

Jan 30, 2018
Poehling, another professional 40-50 point guy. Plays the right way. Booooring ... Why they can't draft a Kucherov or a Debrincat ?

Chipchura 2.0

RandR

May 15, 2011
His discourse most of the time when I hear or read an interview of his is that he stays in college because he feels he's not ready for the NHL and that the NHL is not a development league. That he should play in the NHL when he's ready. However, there is a league and a team that is a development league to help a player get ready for the NHL. That's the AHL and the Laval Rocket. So it doesn't have to be NHL or college. There is the AHL option, as well.

Some reasons he may choose to stay another year in college is, like you say, to play with his brothers. Another reason is that he simply wants to continue his education. But I'm sure there's a way he can complete them even if he turns pro. Alexandre Alain is doing online studies while playing for Laval because he wants his degree.
I think the key question then is: does Poehling and/or the Habs organization think he will be ready for the NHL next year? If “yes” or “probably”, then I can see him signing shortly. If “no”, then the AHL is another option, but I gotta think that for many reasons it is an inferior one compared to one last year playing college hockey while finishing his degree.

Unfortunately since the Habs are fighting for their playoff lives right now and likely not making it, they can’t entice Poehling with the chance for him to play a few games of NHL hockey this year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think the key question then is: does Poehling and/or the Habs organization think he will be ready for the NHL next year? If “yes” or “probably”, then I can see him signing shortly. If “no”, then the AHL is another option, but I gotta think that for many reasons it is an inferior one compared to one last year playing college hockey while finishing his degree.

Unfortunately since the Habs are fighting for their playoff lives right now and likely not making it, they can’t entice Poehling with the chance for him to play a few games of NHL hockey this year.

I guess you're not up to speed, Poehling signed with Montreal:

Confirmed with Link: - Canadiens Sign Ryan Poehling to 3-Year ELC (Will Join Habs for the Rest of the Season)

RandR

May 15, 2011
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I think there are two different definitions, not that one is skewed. There isn't 186 top 6 quality players in the NHL, but there all the teams will have 6 guys playing on their top 6. Just like we've always had a 1st line center as he was centering that line, but we never really had a legit 1st center.

I view Danault as someone who doesn't really drive/create a lot of offense. Give him some top 6 usage and he'll be carried on, but when I look at his skillset, ideally I'd have him on a 3rd line as a strong two way checking center who can step up into top 6 in case of injuries. I wouldn't look at him as a Plekanec type, who to me is what a top 6 center is.

Looking through the league, you can always find cases to back up a point. I mean, Hawks won the cup with Handzus centering their 2nd line, but he was nowhere near a top 6 center at this point in his career.

Why aren't there 186 top-6 quality players in the NHL? And how did you come up with that number?

Also if there are currently less then 186, then it stands to reason in any given year there could be more then 186, and then your definition of top-6 player would include players who couldn't crack the top-6 of bad teams and that's nonsensical.

The truth is there are a large group of players who are similar enough that a good/bad year will change whether they are top-6 players or not that year. Danault is in that group, if he has a bad year he wouldn't be top-6, so he's different from Plekanec who even in his bad years (Excluding his last few) was a decent top-6 guy.

Although Danault isn't your typical top-6 guy in terms of skill, the fact remains he's producing like one. And although early on the argument could be made he was simply benefiting from playing with elite players, he's proven that's not the case as he's continued to produce without elite players. His production has been going on long enough for us to question whether there is something about his game that is effective and makes him a top-6 player but is hard to see/understand.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Naturally he will be a 30-40 player when he goes back to playing his designed role. It's why that's Ellers normal point range, if he played top 6 with that pp time and players he would score at the same pace.

Danault is like a lot of guys we've had in the past. Forced into a top 6 role because of a lack of other options (or guys the coach trusts/can develop) and someone has to earn those points. It's why Desharnais had a big season between Cole and Pacioretty.

Kotkaniemi is at 34 points with limited ice time and limited winger talent, as our 3C. Danault would get more than KK's role this year. If he plays similarly well as he does now (at his age there is a better chance to get better than worse), he should get 40+ points even with 2 guys in front of him.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Relax, take a long breath. There'll be moments who you couldn't control. Follow your fate. At your own pace.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Why aren't there 186 top-6 quality players in the NHL? And how did you come up with that number?
Depends what you consider top 6. Domi played with Lek-Shaw, are they top 6 guys? I don't think so.

Also if there are currently less then 186, then it stands to reason in any given year there could be more then 186, and then your definition of top-6 player would include players who couldn't crack the top-6 of bad teams and that's nonsensical.
Technically, sure, it could be possible. Realistically, unlikely.

The truth is there are a large group of players who are similar enough that a good/bad year will change whether they are top-6 players or not that year. Danault is in that group, if he has a bad year he wouldn't be top-6, so he's different from Plekanec who even in his bad years (Excluding his last few) was a decent top-6 guy.
Well that's my point. Plekanec and Danault should not be in the same category, but then if you say Danaul is a top 6 center, well you put in next to Plek.
Just like you can argue Byron is a top 6 guy, but then, I think Gallagher is a top 6 and he's definitely better than Byron.

Although Danault isn't your typical top-6 guy in terms of skill, the fact remains he's producing like one. And although early on the argument could be made he was simply benefiting from playing with elite players, he's proven that's not the case as he's continued to produce without elite players. His production has been going on long enough for us to question whether there is something about his game that is effective and makes him a top-6 player but is hard to see/understand.
I think the image of a top 6 center, again, is someone like Plek. As you admitted yourself, Danault is a notch below. That's how I view things. So he falls under the top 6-9 bracket, not quite top 6 quality.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
"I think the biggest compliment I can give Ryan is he made the players around him better,” Larson said. “Whether it was the power play or 5-on-5. He was always in attack mode, always making plays.
“He’s got all the tools. He’s got size, can skate, great hands … he looks like an NHLer. Ryan and I had been discussing it for a while and I knew there was a good possibility that he would go. I’m real excited for him. I’m disappointed for the Huskies, but excited for him."

Poehling will bypass senior year, signs 3-year deal with Montreal Canadiens

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Any chance playing a game with the Habs this season?

He's burning a year regardless so I imagine most habs fans would like to see him play a game this season.

I'd honestly rather just ice the best possible team without going through the experiment of seeing how NHL ready Poehling is...we're fighting for a playoff spot...he can get his shot next year.

Reactions: RandR

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Looks like he will be excempt from the expansion draft.....so we dont have to protect him.....great news!!!

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Well that's my point. Plekanec and Danault should not be in the same category, but then if you say Danaul is a top 6 center, well you put in next to Plek.
Just like you can argue Byron is a top 6 guy, but then, I think Gallagher is a top 6 and he's definitely better than Byron.

I think the image of a top 6 center, again, is someone like Plek. As you admitted yourself, Danault is a notch below. That's how I view things. So he falls under the top 6-9 bracket, not quite top 6 quality.

Top-6 is pretty much by definition a fairly large group so it's normal that there would be a large range of talent. For example, if I asked you to list the top-6 players on Pittsburgh you would obviously include Crosby and Malkin in that list, yet they are much better then prime Plekanec. It's the same with Danault & Plekanec, they can both be top-6 even though prime Plekanec is a notch above Danault.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Top-6 is pretty much by definition a fairly large group so it's normal that there would be a large range of talent. For example, if I asked you to list the top-6 players on Pittsburgh you would obviously include Crosby and Malkin in that list, yet they are much better then prime Plekanec. It's the same with Danault & Plekanec, they can both be top-6 even though prime Plekanec is a notch above Danault.
Goes back to my point that it depends on your definition. Crosby and Malkin are part of Pittsburgh top 6 but when you are rating them individually as we did with Danault, then I consider them elite top line talent, not top 6.

Reactions: Vachon23

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Goes back to my point that it depends on your definition. Crosby and Malkin are part of Pittsburgh top 6 but when you are rating them individually as we did with Danault, then I consider them elite top line talent, not top 6.

Agreed it's how the terms are defined. For example I would consider Crosby/Maling to be top-6, 1st liners, and elite. Each group being a subset of the other because they are unbounded. So Danault is top-6, but if we wanted to give a bounded term I would say 2nd liner.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Wondering if Kotkaniemi will take the next step next year? I'd like to see the following:

Domi - Danault - Shaw
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Drouin - Poehling - Byron
Lehkonen - Thompson - Armia
Weal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad