Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
So is hyper-exaggerating value deltas to start a post…

We can go back and forth, I think we are probably relatively aligned on the trade, barring a pessimist/optimist articulation of it
If you don't like the way something starts don't take your ball and go home. (aka not reading the entire response before responding yourself).

You also ignored the premise of my response which was the original poster who I quoted saying it was absurd to have an issue with the trade. I showed a reason why it was absurd versus the aforementioned 4 point opinion on why anyone against it was wrong. And rather than addressing the fact of this 4 part dissection you hyper-focused on a percentage amount I threw out as a random retort.

I agree I'm not gonna sit here a debate whether Savoie has 5x-75x more value because it doesn't matter. You hyper focused on a number percentage and ignored everything else I said.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Walk back a statement?

You put words in my mouth in your first reply to try and swing an argument Then I called you out again and you come back at me with this drivel.

You are starting to crack under the weight of trying to defend this trade.
Bro I don’t even think you know what you’re talking about any more

Reactions: MOGlLNY

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Let me ask the naysayers, assuming we can agree that something had to be done about Krebs at 3C. (If not, we can agree to disagree.)

Who would have been a better 3C target? At what price?
Savoie, 2nd, Krebs for Cirelli....(I'd have added more) pps (All those assets are basically gone anyways but we have 2 4th liners) pps2 (Chain is gonna tell me it takes two to tango but I'd like to think a GM who knows what he wants could get it done the way us arm chair GMs think they can lol, even if its not realistic).

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We've got a few guys here who religiously follow every one of our prospects, not just a specific league. Chainshot has posted in this thread often -- he is the poster here who's probably seen Savoie the most. Listen to his opinion above all others.

I’m just a guy watching hockey.

Savoie was my favorite prospect of theirs right now. I think he could be an excellent top six wing for the Oilers given the talent of their centers. He does a very good job of getting pucks toward the net, scores in a variety of ways and utilizes his speed to pressure while also having modulation to allow space to come open for trailers and others on the rush.

And he is only 5’9” and I have worried that inside play at the NHL level is going to be that much harder on a guy with some shoulder issues in his recent history. *shrug*

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Savoie, 2nd, Krebs for Cirelli....(I'd have added more) pps (All those assets are basically gone anyways but we have 2 4th liners) pps2 (Chain is gonna tell me it takes two to tango but I'd like to think a GM who knows what he wants could get it done the way us arm chair GMs think they can lol, even if its not realistic).

Reactions: WpgBuffan and DJN21

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think after this trade I’m gonna adopt Buffalo as my eastern team. I’ve been thinking about it and it makes sense:

- I like Mcleod
- I have a soft spot for small market teams that have crappy UFA attractiveness (see my Oilers)
- I already hate the Leafs
- I like alot of the talent that Buffalo is stock piling
- I like underdogs
- I want to see the stale and boring playoff teams in the East be changed up
- Oh and f*** Jack Eichel. I always hate players that quit on their franchise. Yeh yeh yeh there was injury issues and circumstances surrounding that, but still f*** him.
- Oh and Tage is a beast

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Maybe because teams don't regularly trade their top prospect for a bottom 6 player. Other teams usually hang up the phone.
I surely don't remember any time a team traded a legit top prospect for a bottom 6 players that wasn't trying to get a cup........and even worse we traded for one that wasn't even that great in the playoffs.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
We've got a few guys here who religiously follow every one of our prospects, not just a specific league. Chainshot has posted in this thread often -- he is the poster here who's probably seen Savoie the most. Listen to his opinion above all others.
him and literally every Sabres fan posted Savoie as the top prospect or listed him as a 1A/1B with Kulich in the main board thread for top 10 org prospects.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How is the Sabres work ethic consistency game to game?

I think this is one aspect of Mcleod that can help the Sabres as well. He doesn’t take a shift off. He’s always working. Always a team player. Always willing to do what the coaches require of him. It’s a consistent work ethic that may rub off on his team mates.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY

I think this is one aspect of Mcleod that can help the Sabres as well. He doesn’t take a shift off. He’s always working. Always a team player. Always willing to do what the coaches require of him. It’s a consistent work ethic that may rub off on his team mates.
Considering we revamped almost the entire bottom 6 and hired Lindy I’m expecting it to change but last year we started games slow on a consistent basis. It was ridiculous. Great to hear about McLeod.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Considering we revamped almost the entire bottom 6 and hired Lindy I’m expecting it to change but last year we started games slow on a consistent basis. It was ridiculous. Great to hear about McLeod.
I like the Bottom 6 makeover. Malenstyn and Lafferty are two high motor players to go along with Mcleod. Don’t know much about Aube-Kubel. Or the Benson and Greenway from last year, but I’ll learn their games soon.

But with those additional motors in the bottom 6, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bottom 6 is like a work rate engine for this team. Once work rate is solved and becomes consistent and non-negotiable, a team can really start to make noise.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

It was consistent.

Consistently bad.

:biglaugh:

They need that. Malenstyn is another one they wanted who always brings it.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think after this trade I’m gonna adopt Buffalo as my eastern team. I’ve been thinking about it and it makes sense:

- I like Mcleod
- I have a soft spot for small market teams that have crappy UFA attractiveness (see my Oilers)
- I like underdogs
- Oh and f*** Jack Eichel. I always hate players that quit on their franchise. Yeh yeh yeh there was injury issues and circumstances surrounding that, but still f*** him.
- Oh and Tage is a beast
Welcome aboard! I'm sorry for what's to come.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It was consistent.

Consistently bad.

:biglaugh:

They need that. Malenstyn is another one they wanted who always brings it.
Lol from my sparse viewings of the Sabres these last few years. That’s kinda what I suspected. On some nights it just seems like there’s no energy on the team. Everyone’s just going through the motions. On other nights, and when they are really clicking they can look like a playoff team all day long, they beat the Oilers just like that when things were clicking.

Yeh I like Malenstyn’s game. Noticed him when I was trying to scout if Dowd would be a good 4C for the Oil last year. Good pick up.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
You and Push are really bending quite hard on this, simply put no GM is drafting for bottom 6 players. They are drafting players that they hope can stick around in the NHL and if they do that's the payoff. If a player can maintain in the bottom 6 great, if they make it into the top 6, you hit it big. If not, you wash your hands with them and move on.
GMs absolutely do draft for bottom 6 players. The problem is that we haven't in a decade up until last year. You know some guys aren't going to find a scoring at 19 but are big, quick and pissed off

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

- I like Mcleod
- I like underdogs
- Oh and Tage is a beast
FB_IMG_1643941060695.jpg

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
him and literally every Sabres fan posted Savoie as the top prospect or listed him as a 1A/1B with Kulich in the main board thread for top 10 org prospects.
The vibe I get is that Savoie, Kulich, and Helenius are of a similar tier. Then there's a slight drop off to Ostlund and Wahlberg. If we expand it to players who are of similar age, then Benson is above all of them.

Truth is, it's a crap shoot which one of them will be the best of the bunch, but they're all quality young players, so it makes sense to deal from a position of strength. It was going to hurt regardless of who we traded.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

- I like Mcleod
- I like underdogs
- Oh and Tage is a beast
Did we just become best friends

Did we just become best friends?!
Beat me to it Doobs lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad