Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The list of 3Cs that were available in trade, did not have trade protection, and was this age and speed profile wasn't going to be long.

McLeod isn't perfect. But, his speed, defensive ability, and being around 50% on faceoffs make this team better.
So we are all privy to a list?

Can't trade for a 2C?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Wasn't that where KA said "OK, were taking the other guy" ?
Detroit picked Kasper ahead of Buffalo
My guess would be Nazar, but it could have been Ostlund, or it could have referenced Savoie since Kasper was just off the board.
I think it was Lekkerimaki from memory
If I remember correctly, the trade with Ottawa was Matt Murray and pick 7 for pick 16 plus something else on the Sabres side, like a second. The idea was for the Sabres to have pick 7 and 9, and take Kasper at 7 ahead of Detroit. But Murray nixed the deal, and Detroit took Kasper. Savoie was BPA.

Based on the Embedded footage, it seemed like the Sabres were really into Ostlund and Kulich more than Savoie.

I liked all three. During that draft year, I was pretty open about taking Ostlund at 9.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Re: Benson and Quinn, I didn't mean to bring them up as comparisons, just as an illustration of how good we are in the wing position going forward. Quinn and Benson, Peterka, and then all the guys around and below Savoie's prospect level, with Quinn and Benson very likely to be very good and better than Savoie will be. So, even if they traded the wrong guy from that grouping, it won't necessarily be that painful. We will probably still wind up with a legit top 6 winger to add to what's already on the roster, maybe more.
Very true. The pain of watching him potentially light it up elsewhere will be tempered by the talent we already have. Still not happy he was the one chosen. But, that’s life I guess.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Ok say it’s the day before the 2022 draft. Knowing we had the 9th pick is ANYONE saying they would be pleased if whoever we drafted ended up being a solid “30-35 point 3C” at 9th overall? No. Because that’s asinine to plug a 13 minute a night spot in the lineup using a f***ing top 9 draft pick.

The fact that the Oilers threw in a complete no name scrub is also hilarious..at the very least we should have gotten some kind of potential NHLer back not Ty f***ing Tullio. McLeod isn’t even physical and is 49% on his career for face offs so he isn’t even adept at those. And he doesn’t take crazy DZS either those are 49-51. This is atrocious. When you once got Toni Lydman for a 3rd it’s just disgusting the trades this week.
I'm willing to bet you don't know a thing about Tullio, other than what his elite prospects page told you.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So I just thought of something. You guys have had the privilege of watching some of the best smaller forwards over the last 20ish years in Briere, Roy and Gionta. Hell, even Gerbe had some good seasons for you guys. Does Savoie remind any of you of any of those guys in terms of play style and skill level?

Reactions: Dingo44

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
So I just thought of something. You guys have had the privilege of watching some of the best smaller forwards over the last 20ish years in Briere, Roy and Gionta. Hell, even Gerbe had some good seasons for you guys. Does Savoie remind any of you of any of those guys in terms of play style and skill level?
Briere is a consistent comparison if he hits his peak.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
hey can i have your thing i really need for this prospect

no but you can have it for that prospect

but thats the wrong prospect

ok miss the playoffs again see if i care

for a fanbase that has watched their GMs neglect the bottom 6 for a decade and have it bite them in the ass over and over again Im shocked people dont value bottom 6 players higher

but this is endemic to the NHL in general, the bottom 6 plays a third of the game and everyone thinks you can just back fill it with trash assets and it will work out, yet you see every year cup contenders spending big assets on their depth players
No GM drafts for bottom 6 players, this is just silly ideology. You always have the highest ceiling in mind when you draft a player and hope if they don't make it they can find a floor in the NHL.

Thus how bottom 6 players are created.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Above has already mentioned Briere, who is a solid comparable. Another one, if Savoie hits, is a guy we play against a lot: Brayden Point.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I fully understand all the prospects can’t play. There’s not enough room. I don’t care at all that we traded Savoie.

I care that we got so little in return for him. I’d be shocked if Savoie doesn’t carve out a career at least as good as McLeod, but with much higher potential.

I saw a tweet that this is like trading Ehlers/Domi in 2015 for Carl Hagelin. This is exactly what this is. Hagelin was a fine player - no issue with him. But you just give up way too much.
I’m glad we all remember the 2 times this kind of trade came back to bite a team and not the enormous list of trades that didn’t.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
No GM drafts for bottom 6 players, this is just silly ideology. You always have the highest ceiling in mind when you draft a player and hope if they don't make it they can find a floor in the NHL.

Thus how bottom 6 players are created.
That’s patently untrue. Not all prospects have a top 6 ceiling.

Maybe because teams don't regularly trade their top prospect for a bottom 6 player. Other teams usually hang up the phone.
Ya that’s probably it.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Maybe because teams don't regularly trade their top prospect for a bottom 6 player.

This is a wholly disingenuous argument/statement.

You're right in the black and white of it that teams don't regularly trade their top prospect for a 3C. But now the grey: teams that trade for a 3C don't have a prospect pool as deep as ours and can LEGITIMATELY say that one of four or five guys are the "top prospect" in the system.....and all of them are grade A.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011

You're right in the black and white of it that teams don't regularly trade their top prospect for a 3C. But now the grey: teams that trade for a 3C don't have a prospect pool as deep as ours and can LEGITIMATELY say that one of four or five guys are the "top prospect" in the system.....and all of them are grade A.
That...still doesn't make it a good trade.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maybe because teams don't regularly trade their top prospect for a bottom 6 player. Other teams usually hang up the phone.
I mean I have read enough to realize that Savoie may or may not have been Buffalo's best prospect. Many seem to think that he was not. Buffalo having one of the strongest prospect pools and the Oilers having one of the weakest until after this last draft and now adding Savoie certainly played a big part in such a trade as did the Oilers glut of depth at the NHL level up front.

Reactions: Zman5778

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012

Or just the number of top prospects that do get traded for anything and it isn’t some horrible calamity.

Reactions: Zman5778

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
That...still doesn't make it a good trade.
It doesn't make it a good VALUE. It improves our roster this year, as Savoie wasn't likely to be on the Sabres.

I full well recognize that the value isn't great......I don't think anyone here is arguing that the value was good.

Just because a trade isn't good value doesn't mean it can't help now and maybe even in the future (consider that now there's more ice time open in Rochester for other prospects).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I'll add that finding a quality 3C is not easy especially one that can fly like McLeod can.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Tyler Ennis

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I forgot about him, he was also from Edmonton and a damn good player for awhile. I'd say that Savoie looks to be a bit thicker and more of a goalscorer? Would you agree with those statements?
Savoie is more willing to get into the dirty areas than Ennis was (especially earlier in Ennis' career where he was allergic to contact). And I would agree that Savoie is a better scorer than Ennis was at similar points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad