Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
We get: A 24 year-old, lightning fast, defense-first 3C. (6'3" 188 lb. Get this guy in the weight room, stuff him with protein powder, and maybe he'll have more moxie.)

We lose: One of our many undersized, offensively gifted forward prospects. And the disaster-in-the-making of Krebs at 3C on opening night.

I'm good.
Now that Olofsson and Okposo are gone I can focus on hating Krebs.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
This organization has no reason to be trusted they haven't made the playoffs once under Adams and he has had multiple years already why should I care about their bottom 6 acquisitions....Greenway was acquired for a 2nd by comparison literally just last season and the Oilers are the ones up against the cap its just beyond dumb how anyone can justify paying that much for a guy who has peaked at 30 points at 24 and it was the first season he played every game. Was anyone impressed by McLeod in the playoffs with 4 goals in 24 games and that was with a high shooting pct because he barely did anything everyone got to see him in the playoffs he's not some hidden gem.
He is okay but we panicked and overpaid.

I would've given them Kulich and Rosen to keep Savoie with Benson. This trade hurts me, deeply.

I sure wouldn't

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
Savoie with Benson? Too bad you can't throw Gionta on that line so it averages less than 70".
They belong on the ice together. Why don't you trade yourself to basketball.

The more I think about this trade, the less I like it.

Usually it’s the opposite.

If you had asked anybody on here yesterday if they’d make this trade, they’d laugh you off the board.
Coping works in mysterious ways.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Hoping this is a Moneyball move. Not a sexy player, but what does he do, Pete?

“He gets on base”

If our bottom six has excellent defensive metrics and Lindy is deploying them correctly with his system, this helps make the top 6, the D and the goaltending better. I’m assuming that Sam Ventura and Lindy had some strong input here , which makes me feel better.

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Well....On the positive side our bottom 6 should be leaps and bounds better than last year. It hurts losing Savoie but we are still stocked in the pipeline. Nice of GMKA to put his money where his mouth is and actually follow through with what he said for once. He made the bottom 6 a priority then actually followed through with upgrading it. It's a gut punch to lose the kid but there must be something up if he was on the block all along...

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Yup. People should read Chad's tweet from earlier in the thread: people don't value Savoie nearly as much as our other prospects or people on this forum.
Because the NHL has a stigma against small players, it why Marner fell, Gaudreau fell, Debrincat and so so many others.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Thinking about the value more, I'm wondering when the last time a player like McLeod was traded. 24 year old 3C, with multiple years of team control (not a UFA or rental), not on a bad contract with negative value, etc. Like, what is the frame of reference for a deal like this?

Feels like guys like McLeod usually don't get traded, which means by definition it will require an overpay. But how much of an overpay is it really? To answer that, feels like we need a similar deal to compare it to, and off the top of my head I can't think of one.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
If you're at this level of frustration, wouldn't it be wise to stop following them. Same results, right?
lol I actually expect them to make the playoffs now.

Still hate the trade and will maintain my view that Savoie will be a top tier player.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

“He gets on base”

If our bottom six has excellent defensive metrics and Lindy is deploying them correctly with his system, this helps make the top 6, the D and the goaltending better. I’m assuming that Sam Ventura and Lindy had some strong input here , which makes me feel better.
This is a great post.

At the youth level, almost every coach I talk to tells me that getting to loose pucks and winning them is the most important skill a player can have. Just had this conversation with Jim Rogers from 10x hockey two weeks ago.

Adams has a good analytics department. Common thread among moves: speed and burst. I’d bet that’s exactly what they are going for in their lineup revamp.

Get to pucks and win them. Speed in the lineup makes that a lot easier.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Dont mind trading a top prospect for a 3C.
But soft and shy of contact and disappearing in big games sounds awful a lot what we already have, like Oilers fans stated here.
Hope he gets his shit together with Lindy.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Yep, I get this feeling too

Did McLeod age 10 years and become a 34 year old rental? And did Savoie become a top tier prospect?

How is it like that at all? Savoie is no forsberg and McLeod is certainly no Erat

Dont mind trading a top prospect for a 3C.
But soft and shy of contact and disappearing in big games sounds awful a lot what we already have, like Oilers fans stated here.
Hope he gets his shit together with Lindy.

He had three goals in the Stanley cup finals. How is that disappearing in big games?

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Did McLeod age 10 years and become a 34 year old rental? And did Savoie become a top tier prospect?

How is it like that at all? Savoie is no forsberg and McLeod is certainly no Erat

He had three goals in the Stanley cup finals. How is that disappearing in big games?
He had 1 goal in the entirety of rounds 1-3 and we don't have a McDavid Draisaitl duo to carry us to a SC final.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
He had 1 goal in the entirety of rounds 1-3

He had 3 goals in the Stanley cup finals at age 24. It’s real tough to say a negative if him is he doesn’t come up in a big games

and we don't have a McDavid Draisaitl duo to carry us to a SC final.
What does that have to do with the trade? We didn’t have either of them when we woke up today, and worn when we go to sleep

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

“He gets on base”

This is a great post.

At the youth level, almost every coach I talk to tells me that getting to loose pucks and winning them is the most important skill a player can have. Just had this conversation with Jim Rogers from 10x hockey two weeks ago.

Adams has a good analytics department. Common thread among moves: speed and burst. I’d bet that’s exactly what they are going for in their lineup revamp.

Get to pucks and win them. Speed in the lineup makes that a lot easier.

Isn't the whole point of Moneyball that Beane wasn't just identifying those guys, but identifying them consistently at very low value? The Hatteberg story wouldn't have hit quite as hard if Beane had shipped off a top 10 pick to bring him in right? Idk.

Reactions: jc17

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Thinking about the value more, I'm wondering when the last time a player like McLeod was traded. 24 year old 3C, with multiple years of team control (not a UFA or rental), not on a bad contract with negative value, etc. Like, what is the frame of reference for a deal like this?

Feels like guys like McLeod usually don't get traded, which means by definition it will require an overpay. But how much of an overpay is it really? To answer that, feels like we need a similar deal to compare it to, and off the top of my head I can't think of one.

Mitts for Byram ;)

Hodgson (was 22 at the time)? ROR (from Colorado)? Roslovic? even though they had other pieces involved?

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

I just quoted what some Oilers fans posted in the beginning.
Especially the shyness in contact which you didnt adress

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
4 points in 24 playoff games. Sounds like he will fit in with missing the playoffs since he missed them this year.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I just quoted what some Oilers fans posted in the beginning.
Especially the shyness in contact which you didnt adress

I understand it’s what oilers are saying, I’m saying he scored three goals in the Stanley cup finals so it’s a tough thing to say other than the fact it’s coming from some bitter oiler fans.

And yeah he’s not overly physical? He’s not a big point producer either. He’s got negative. And he’s got positives

4 points in 24 playoff games. Sounds like he will fit in with missing the playoffs since he missed them this year.

You’re very clever. And funny.

Reactions: debaser66

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

Completely different situation, obviously, but I've found myself thinking a lot about Mogilny for Peca today. Savoie is not Mogilny and McLeod sure ain't Peca, but it's an offensive player for a defensive center and it led to a boom period for the team that probably wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Reactions: schpaff

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Mitts for Byram ;)

Hodgson (was 22 at the time)? ROR (from Colorado)? Roslovic? even though they had other pieces involved?
Hodgson maybe counts (better player than McLeod though, was really only a 3C in name only because of Sedin/Kesler ahead of him), but Kassian would basically be similar to Savoie as a return (1st rounder prospect, though Kassian had more NHL games under his belt at that point). ROR was definitely a 2C caliber player and got a bigger return. Roslovic would count (I'd probably consider McLeod better though), but given the bigger pieces in that trade it's hard to pinpoint his value quite right--if Laine/Dubois would have been a 1-for-1 then Roslovic would equal a 3rd round pick.

So we're somewhere between a 3rd rounder and Zack Kassian...which is too big a range to say anything definitively, but it's a start?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
McLeod would still be an Oiler if we didn't re-sign Henrique. That signing kind of made him redundant and pushed his role down in the playoffs. He got looks at LW at times this year with Draisaitl, some people view him as more of a winger than a centre. He is very soft, but the defensive traits are good. Offensively, I think he can be a .5ppg type guy in a middle 6 role.

Oilers fans are happy with the trade because of the value, not to get rid of McLeod. He was a cap casualty who had value. Kane/Ceci trade would be hard to pull off.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
lol I actually expect them to make the playoffs now.

Still hate the trade and will maintain my view that Savoie will be a top tier player.
Maybe, maybe not. They got a known commodity for an unknown commodity. It hurts trading blue chippers because it could bite you in the ass. Sometimes you have to push your chips in, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad