Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think it depends on how you view Byram. I see him as a bad fit with the team. Mitts and Savoie for McLeod and Byram stings a bit.
We were in a bad spot, at least the team looks more complete but I still think we need a high end center.
We really underestimated how much they didn’t like Mittelstadt slowing the game down when he was out there. One of the podcasts brought it up long before he was traded…and everything since then just screams that it was totally true.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It's all over twitter as well, i got no opinion either way. In a vacuum it's a lot for a 3rd line center, but if he helps us get into the playoffs it's a gigantic win for the franchise.
I just think the whole who won/who lost overpaid/fleeced thing is spent. There are so many factors outside of 1:1 value. That's not just how trades work, it's how economics works. I just paid $25 for someone to bring a burrito to my front door so I can sit and shoot this shit with a bunch of internet people. Did I overpay?

And honestly, how many people really are informed anyway? I know Savoie, but I don't know much about the two players that are coming over, but on paper, I like the fit for both the NHL and the AHL roster.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
My comment was two pieces.

1st piece was people are going to complain about this trade no matter what because Savoie was included, even though it makes our team much better today than it was a couple days ago, Savoie wasn't going to have that impact people are clamoring for.

My second piece is that Savoie is a high end talent but the shoulder injuries can have an impact on an elite shooter, that should be a concern for teams.

A strawman would have been something like "people would be pissed if he returned Draisatl because Draisatl asked out of Edmonton and and is a raging headcase", I never attacked my initial exaggeration of the Draisatl return.
Buddy, I know you mean well but you don’t need all the extra fluff to make a strawman argument.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Funny how Buffalo has $14.5 in projected cap space now with 20 active players. This is a team with an internal budget well below $88 million. They will be $8 M or so under the cap. That was always my guess. At the very least, pay up and sign UPL for four years and not some two year deal that walks him to UFA status. Pretty please?
Whats any of this got to do with the trade

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Absolutely hate the trade. Savoie has top line ppg upside. McLeod is a #3 center. Anyone but savoie and I would be fine with it.

Jack Quinn? UPL? Tuch? They need to make the playoffs and have a team that is fast and hard to play against. Making Savoie the 3C isn't the answer

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Am I getting old? Sure, this is a deal that requires another deal (for a top 6 forward), but I really don't understand the negative reaction...Savoie isn't Forsberg.

The Sabres gave up an A prospect....and still have 3/4 more. The talk all over town (including by some unhappy here) is Savoie wasn't even a center.

I think Savoie has a Briere ceiling if he stays healthy, and had chemistry with Benson...but I want to end the drought. That means something to me. This move is in the direction of ending the drought. Savoie wasn't helping us for a few years, if.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think the issue a lot of folks have is, yeah we have lots of prospects, but Savoie was conceivably our top offensive prospect not on the NHL roster.
He wasn’t. But it’s not like he was so far away from it it’s worth arguing. Even if it has to dismiss Benson was so much better he remained a prospect for so short a time. Which is funny when you think about it for two seconds. The younger better player doesn’t count in the discussion because he was…too good?

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Your love of prospects is the reason the team keeps missing the playoffs. It needs balance of vets, speed, talent and a little youth. Buffalo has more than enough prospects at forward. They need speed and experience to make the playoffs.
I just can’t rationalize It when we’re trading top 10 draft picks that have outperformed their draft stock for non-impact players.

Players like McLeod get moved all the time for much less.

Reactions: ItWasJustified

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Many of my friends and family are from Buffalo so I genuinely hope the Sabres turn a corner soon here, even as a Wings fan.

Trading for Ryan McLeod to get tougher to play against is like building an origami bomb shelter.

I'll take his defensive impacts over what we have even if he isn't physical.

Our forwards aren't physical and allergic to their own zone.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
It definitely stings, but as others have said they have identified needs and are starting to build a team, not just a collection of high end prospects. Lindy loves these types of players. Makes me wonder how involved he was in this trade.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Overpay? Sure, from Edmonton's perspective they got their new top.prospect for a guy that was a healthy scratch a few times in the playoffs. But Savoie was superfluous in Buffalo. A year away from maybe making the roster and contributing as a 3rd line player. I'm really ok with Kev losing a few trades to bolster the roster. Hell, I've been begging for it. But, imo, the team is still far too dependant on Tage and Dylan shooting 15% to score. I'm legitimately curious where the goals.are going to come from.

Reactions: old kummelweck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad