Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Not coming to troll but I am a huge Matthew Savoie. I'm from the Oilers board. Can you guys let us know why Buffalo is even doing this??

Buffalo has an abundance of middle six prospects and a gaping hole for this exact type of player

Many of my friends and family are from Buffalo so I genuinely hope the Sabres turn a corner soon here, even as a Wings fan.

Trading for Ryan McLeod to get tougher to play against is like building an origami bomb shelter.

I don’t think anyone is literally meaning tougher as in physical or tough guy. The Sabres squires three physical hitters for their fourth line. People mean a legitimate 3C who can pk

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The whole league thinks Adams is f***ing insane for giving up Savoie for that package. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Do they, or does a group of people on the internet on a prospects board immediately think it's an overpay without understanding what the Sabres are trying to do?

Sabres roster is better than it was yesterday. Savoie was not helping them this year.

This may push Kris Baker over the edge. He LOVED Savoie and loves those Western boys.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Funny how Buffalo has $14.5 in projected cap space now with 20 active players. This is a team with an internal budget well below $88 million. They will be $8 M or so under the cap. That was always my guess. At the very least, pay up and sign UPL for four years and not some two year deal that walks him to UFA status. Pretty please?

• Haha
Reactions: Professor Chaos

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Do they, or does a group of people on the internet on a prospects board immediately think it's an overpay without understanding what the Sabres are trying to do?

Sabres roster is better than it was yesterday. Savoie was not helping them this year.

This may push Kris Baker over the edge. He LOVED Savoie and loves those Western boys.
It's all over twitter as well, i got no opinion either way. In a vacuum it's a lot for a 3rd line center, but if he helps us get into the playoffs it's a gigantic win for the franchise.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Many of my friends and family are from Buffalo so I genuinely hope the Sabres turn a corner soon here, even as a Wings fan.

Trading for Ryan McLeod to get tougher to play against is like building an origami bomb shelter.
no one has said that, previous 4th line trade and signings, yes.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Can someone refresh my memory since the 2 draft years are blurring together, but did Savoie not get beat out by Benson last training camp and grabbed a spot over him, Kulich, and Rosen? I remember he got injured in a training camp - but I can't remember which.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

They are better with this deal in coming year. No argument there. Savoie was not making team. Only question is could they have got more. Who knows?

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Not coming to troll but I am a huge Matthew Savoie. I'm from the Oilers board. Can you guys let us know why Buffalo is even doing this??
1) We've drafted a half dozen of the same type players in the past 3 or so years. We have more smallish, offensively gifted, prospects than we can possibly make roster spots for. Kulich, Rosen, and now Helenius are close to NHL ready. Not to mention Ostlund, Wahlberg, Neuchev. And that list doesn't even include Poltapov who was picked 33rd overall a few years ago. And those are all just forwards.

2) At 5'9" and missing games both of the past few seasons because of injuries he's gained (at least from the fanbase) a bit of an "injury prone" tag. For a "make or break" year the GM would be taking a huge risk relying on a full rookie season out of Savoie.

3) Sabres haven't made the playoffs in 13 years. GM Kevyn Adams has failed to make any substantial moves over the past 3 offseasons and has now backed himself into a corner. If the team doesn't make the playoffs THIS SEASON he has a very good chance of being fired even though he's good friend (read "yes man" ) to the owner. Adams had ZERO experience in the front office at any level before being promoted to GM 5 years ago. 5 years..... that's a long time to still be "iffy" at making the playoffs, especially considering they made 33 draft picks (and many in the top 10 ) over a 3 season period.

So he overpaid for McLeod but to be honest it also makes us a better team than we were before, if you look at it as proven NHL players. Savoie or Peyton Krebs may have been able to come in and be good 3Cs for the team, but McLeod is PROVEN at the NHL level and when you're a GM on the hot seat......

I don't like the deal but I understand it somewhat.

Enjoy Savoie. I think he's going to be a great player for you.

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
Who knows though, Savoie could have been ready to make the step this year as a speedy 3C with top line upside. I have no idea how they couldn’t make this move with a lesser prospect.
Your love of prospects is the reason the team keeps missing the playoffs. It needs balance of vets, speed, talent and a little youth. Buffalo has more than enough prospects at forward. They need speed and experience to make the playoffs.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Can someone refresh my memory since the 2 draft years are blurring together, but did Savoie not get beat out by Benson last training camp and grabbed a spot over him, Kulich, and Rosen? I remember he got injured in a training camp - but I can't remember which.
Savoie got injured in last year's TC when he was tracking to make the team. Benson eventually won that spot, and we couldn't take him off the ice.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

I'm not beat up on losing Savoie. He's a Ric Seiling at best. Just wonder how more wasn't out there.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I don’t understand people being angry about this. They got a good 3C. Matt was my favorite prospect and I think this is fair value.
I think it depends on how you view Byram. I see him as a bad fit with the team. Mitts and Savoie for McLeod and Byram stings a bit.
We were in a bad spot, at least the team looks more complete but I still think we need a high end center.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
You want the direct definition? Or did I misinterpret your ridiculous comment?
My comment was two pieces.

1st piece was people are going to complain about this trade no matter what because Savoie was included, even though it makes our team much better today than it was a couple days ago, Savoie wasn't going to have that impact people are clamoring for.

My second piece is that Savoie is a high end talent but the shoulder injuries can have an impact on an elite shooter, that should be a concern for teams.

A strawman would have been something like "people would be pissed if he returned Draisatl because Draisatl asked out of Edmonton and and is a raging headcase", I never attacked my initial exaggeration of the Draisatl return.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Some people are just waiting for a trade/signing that is just an objective win value-wise. Not only is that probably not gonna happen because it's Buffalo and no matter how confident Adams acts every team in the league knows we're 13 years out of the playoffs, retooling and coming from a place of zero leverage dealing mostly futures... but winning trades purely on value isn't what we need. We need to bring back pieces that fit specific needs, which they seem to have isolated as defensive forwards that are tough to play against (either via size or speed).

From what I'm seeing, this trade is a loss in value but a win in team needs. I'll take the W.
That is a L, not a W.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
It's all over twitter as well, i got no opinion either way. In a vacuum it's a lot for a 3rd line center, but if he helps us get into the playoffs it's a gigantic win for the franchise.
Or some are maybe overvaluing Savoie. I don’t have a huge issue with this trade, especially since it seems to fill a hole in the lineup.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Your love of prospects is the reason the team keeps missing the playoffs. It needs balance of vets, speed, talent and a little youth. Buffalo has more than enough prospects at forward. They need speed and experience to make the playoffs.

I think the issue a lot of folks have is, yeah we have lots of prospects, but Savoie was conceivably our top offensive prospect not on the NHL roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad